Sign in to follow this  
ShefGator2

It's time to start winning and quit talking about "potential"

Attendance at Magic games this season (home) is at 88.8% capacity, up from 86.2% the year prior. In 2013 it was at 93.4%. I guess this awesome new facility isn't as empty as you claim? I could probably calculate a guess as to the "millions lost" but I'd rather just show you.

MLE_NBA-revs1.jpg

From 2012 to 2014 it dropped just under 6 million dollars a year. When you consider the previously mentioned drop in payroll in comparison, well, I'll let YOU do the math on that one.

In addition, it's pretty silly to look at our teams record over the past three seasons as a measure of Hennigan's success. He was brought in to rebuild the team, he didn't take over a contending team and run it into the ground. You have to take the situation into account not just the record. I'd say, at a minimum, he has two years left, but I'd imagine it to be more like 3 or 4. He has a solid foundation being built, he's been responsible with the payroll so we have plenty of room to add quality free agents when the team is ready, and we aren't full on tanking like Philly.

Sure, we didn't progress as much as many of us would have hoped for this year, but you can point a finger toward the coach on that one. A coach who was brought in to help the rebuild process, so the fact that he didn't progress as a coach doesn't really reflect poorly on the GM either, JV served his purpose and was let go once his ability started holding the team back.

I'm just shocked I pulled a completely fabricated number out of my ass and it came really close to the truth.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard there, your average ticket price was way off, so all your numbers were screwy, you just happened to land close anyway! lol

Yeah, that's why I'm shocked.

I didn't factor in season ticket pricing or ticket deals. Because no way is an average single game ticket $38.

Attendance at Magic games this season (home) is at 88.8% capacity, up from 86.2% the year prior. In 2013 it was at 93.4%. I guess this awesome new facility isn't as empty as you claim? I could probably calculate a guess as to the "millions lost" but I'd rather just show you.

MLE_NBA-revs1.jpg

From 2012 to 2014 it dropped just under 6 million dollars a year. When you consider the previously mentioned drop in payroll in comparison, well, I'll let YOU do the math on that one.

In addition, it's pretty silly to look at our teams record over the past three seasons as a measure of Hennigan's success. He was brought in to rebuild the team, he didn't take over a contending team and run it into the ground. You have to take the situation into account not just the record. I'd say, at a minimum, he has two years left, but I'd imagine it to be more like 3 or 4. He has a solid foundation being built, he's been responsible with the payroll so we have plenty of room to add quality free agents when the team is ready, and we aren't full on tanking like Philly.

Sure, we didn't progress as much as many of us would have hoped for this year, but you can point a finger toward the coach on that one. A coach who was brought in to help the rebuild process, so the fact that he didn't progress as a coach doesn't really reflect poorly on the GM either, JV served his purpose and was let go once his ability started holding the team back.

Thanks Captain for doing that work. I didnt know what the total was, but have always wondered. So it isnt as bad as I thought, thank god. But then why the F did seattle lose their franchise in the first place, always thought it was because of not filling seats. Which is my nightmare that i never want to happen with Orlando.

I also believe that when you start as a manager, from that point your on the clock to deliver, regardless of the situation. Doing the whole going from nothing to something becomes your testiment as a manager to how you achieved that success. 3yrs is plenty of time for evaluating your managers ability, is he able to get the team wins, is he able to provide a growing environment for his team, is he getting the job done.

The point is im not going assume that Henny has ample time as a GM. In my mind he doesnt.

For some of you i can see its debatable, and its cool, if you think otherwise.

Thanks Captain for doing that work. I didnt know what the total was, but have always wondered. So it isnt as bad as I thought, thank god. But then why the F did seattle lose their franchise in the first place, always thought it was because of not filling seats. Which is my nightmare that i never want to happen with Orlando.

I also believe that when you start as a manager, from that point your on the clock to deliver, regardless of the situation. Doing the whole going from nothing to something becomes your testiment as a manager to how you achieved that success. 3yrs is plenty of time for evaluating your managers ability, is he able to get the team wins, is he able to provide a growing environment for his team, is he getting the job done.

The point is im not going assume that Henny has ample time as a GM. In my mind he doesnt.

For some of you i can see its debatable, and its cool, if you think otherwise.

Nah, Seattle lost it's team because of their arena deal and the fact that their ownership group sold the franchise to a guy who really wanted a team in okc. The Amway center and a team friendly atmosphere in Orlando has pushed out any fears about team relocation for at least another 15-20 years.

Whoa, where did this thread come from? I like it.

Is it asking to much, or being a pessimist, to say that this summer is huge and that more then constitutes Henny being on the clock? I don't think that's an over-reaction. Haven't all year

If we make some good moves this off season, pick the right coach, and challenge for the EAST (the East!) playoffs next year, I think we'd all agree Henny is doing fine.

If we're still in 22 win hopeless range next April....uh, that's gonna be trouble for anyone in charge of building a team for a half decade. Collected assets or not. That's just reality.

Also, I think a lot of this boils down to a direction the NBA has taken that I really dislike: building teams is now only for theoretical championships. There was a time when you just tried to put together a consistently good basketball team.

And if you think the 6-7-8 seed rodeo is hopeless towards building long-term, imagine a superstar free-agent looking to move teams (through pressure, Love/Dwight/Melo, etc, or a pure FA). What looks more promising right now, Boston with a good coach and maybe a playoff run, or Orlando, currently hopeless and coach-less?

• Upvote 2

But then why the F did seattle lose their franchise in the first place

Because the new owner wanted to move the team to his hometown.

It'd be like if someone bought the Magic, and then they decided that he should move the team to Murfreesboro, because that was his hometown and he wanted there to be an NBA team there.

Nah, Seattle lost it's team because of their arena deal and the fact that their ownership group sold the franchise to a guy who really wanted a team in okc. The Amway center and a team friendly atmosphere in Orlando has pushed out any fears about team relocation for at least another 15-20 years.

What does this mean?

What timing...

The Orlando Magic soon will seek to extend general manager Rob Hennigan's contract beyond the 2015-16 season, an industry source with knowledge of the team's plans told the Orlando Sentinel.

The DeVos family and CEO Alex Martins are pleased with the job Hennigan has done since Hennigan was hired in June 2012...

...When Hennigan's tenure started, team officials knew the rebuilding project would take three to five years. For the best-case scenario to occur, the team needed to get lucky in the lottery in a year in which there was a potential superstar available...

...All indications are that it will be Hennigan who will make the key decisions — not just this summer, but for at least several summers beyond that.

My link