Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

ESPN Article saying Payton deserves ROY

personally still prefer Exum in the long run right now, but Elf has been better in almost every facet this year

the argument isnt really Exum or Payton anyway, it is Exum or Gordon

I never liked Exum or wanted him when most everyone else did. I am in no way saying he won't improve and potentially become a good player but idk how you could make this statement now when Exum has just shown so little. People like to say "well he has a higher ceiling than Payton" what does that even mean? Payton has just as high of a ceiling. It's funny to me.

I never liked Exum or wanted him when most everyone else did. I am in no way saying he won't improve and potentially become a good player but idk how you could make this statement now when Exum has just shown so little. People like to say "well he has a higher ceiling than Payton" what does that even mean? Payton has just as high of a ceiling. It's funny to me.

Big picture with Exum is he is not a PG long term. He will slide over to SG at some point and I think Henny saw that and knew the Magic needed a true PG.

Also, lets not underestimate the motors of Gordon and Payton how important that is to a team and it's culture. Guys who work hard set the tone for the entire team. This was why I believe the Magic beat the Blazers and didn't collapse in crunch time. Gordon and Payton made huge hustle plays that essentially won the game for us. I watch Gordon and see a guy in 2 years that will be taking over games in terms of hustle stats. He also will be getting more and more 20 point games the more he finds his groove.

When I watch Exum I see a guy who may end up being a good scorer one day, but currently is too small to run through screens and as a result is not reliable to be a starter. In fact, the best rookie on the team is a guy I really liked - Rodney Hood. So now the Jazz are essentially looking at duplicate talent at that position, where the Magic have a guy in Gordon with size who can guard any position on the floor and impact a game in multiple ways.

To like Exum long term over Gordon or Payton just does not make any sense IMO.

Also, lets not underestimate the motors of Gordon and Payton how important that is to a team and it's culture. Guys who work hard set the tone for the entire team. This was why I believe the Magic beat the Blazers and didn't collapse in crunch time. Gordon and Payton made huge hustle plays that essentially won the game for us. I watch Gordon and see a guy in 2 years that will be taking over games in terms of hustle stats. He also will be getting more and more 20 point games the more he finds his groove.

Definitely. He had a clutch offensive board and putback, and another clutch offensive rebound to help seal the game. Dude is gonna be a monster. Freaklishly athletic.

Exum was and is not ready for the NBA.

I missed the Denver game yesterday(I'm kind of glad I did), but Payton still managed to put up 8 assist and 8 rebounds(although he did have 5 TOs).

Not worried about Dipo. Coming from an utility defensive slasher to the go to guy, he's shown much improvement. I feel with another off season, he'll be better. He needs to gain strength too.

Exum might turn out to be a decent player one day but I rather have Payton. He plays well beyond his age.

Not worried about Dipo. Coming from an utility defensive slasher to the go to guy, he's shown much improvement. I feel with another off season, he'll be better. He needs to gain strength too.

Exum might turn out to be a decent player one day but I rather have Payton. He plays well beyond his age.

This backcourt should cause problems for other teams for years.

Good read and thanks for the post! I don't think enough credit is given to the coaching change......as it should.

Elf put in the work, but the craziness that was the first half of the season, prohibited his and the teams growth due to poor coaching and leadership!

Bottom line, I think Payton would have provided a better body of work and stronger argument for the ROY if JB were the HC!

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/03/24/orlando-magic-elfrid-payton-arrived/

In fact, I think it’s getting to the point now where you could call this team the best up and coming franchise in the league. The Milwaukee Bucks could certainly claim that title as well, and they look to be headed to the playoffs. But if the Magic can keep hold of Tobias Harris, not a certainty at all, and draft well again this summer, they are in such a healthy position.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/03/24/orlando-magic-elfrid-payton-arrived/

In fact, I think it’s getting to the point now where you could call this team the best up and coming franchise in the league. The Milwaukee Bucks could certainly claim that title as well, and they look to be headed to the playoffs. But if the Magic can keep hold of Tobias Harris, not a certainty at all, and draft well again this summer, they are in such a healthy position.

I'm not nearly as concerned about keeping Harris as this guy seems to be.

I'm not nearly as concerned about keeping Harris as this guy seems to be.

Me neither, and we can easily keep him if we want since he's restricted(although we'll probably have to pay a lot because some team will probably offer him a ridiculous contract).