Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

I think you can be a starter in this league without being a finisher (teams with top 6th man candidates). I see this happening with Payton this year when Oladipo/Fournier are on the floor. However, I do not see this with Ridnour.

I believe that JV understands we are in a "win now" mode and that if he doesn't start winning, he's on the hot-seat. Therefore, Ridnour has more experience as a team defender (albeit a worse 1-on-1 defender), with a better shot and less likely turnovers. I believe JV has more trust in Ridnour to NOT MESS UP, more than he has big-play ability like EP.

Thus, it's "win-now" time and JV believes Ridnour gives the team the best chance to "win" in terms of making a shot and not turning it over. It's crappy, but I think JV now cares more about wins than giving as much time as possible to mold young players.

That's what pisses me off about JV... Everyone knows we are not competing for a championship this year or next, so why not give the young guys as much experience as you can compared to winning 25-30 games this season with Luke playing over Payton in meaningful minutes.

To give an example of why I hate this way of thinking: Look at Mo, when he got a chance to play his first season he was playing pretty well. I remember the game against Melo when he had like 4 blocked shots in a row, or the game he started in Milwaukee when he scored I think like 20 points or something like that and instead of building up his confidence and letting him learn from his mistakes on the floor he is riding the pine and that will not be beneficial to us when we are ready to compete in a couple of years. For any person reading this who has ever played organized ball we know that the most important thing about being a good player or having a great game is CONFIDENCE!!!

I think based on the playing time of both Gordon and Payton you can see Vaughn is trying to balance developing the rooks vs winning basketball games. I'm ok with this as the rookies are further along than we expected they would be 4 months ago.

The disappointing thing about that picture is that a Championship team is giving more play time to their 30th pick than we are to our 4th pick. Have a feeling that will change though as the season progresses.

Has this really become a Ridenour Vs Payton thread? Come on fellas.

Luke gives good minutes in a reserve roll and brings a little more offensive than Payton. But to assert that Luke should play more than Payton or that Payton playing against good players is gonna hinder is development is a laughable claim. I was unaware that we used a first round pick on Rindeour in the draft this year and I also keep forgetting he's the future of our team.

JV is doing a solid job. He has to balance winning with development and that's exactly what he's doing. Payton, with determination, will be a real good player eventually but Payton has a lot to learn. He's talented, but he needs development. JV needs wins. So during the games, he'll give Payton some burn, but when Oladipo gets back, I'm almost 100% certain, Dipo will start at the pg spot, especially with Fournier playing so well.

Payton needs to work on some things and that'll come through practice and off days.

Gordon is the same. Now, he'll get more burn because he's not playing a position where he has to dominate the ball and start the offense. I still don't know if I like him at the 3 or at least, guarding the 3's. I'd like to see him more in the paint but like Payton, there's things he needs to work on.

People on this board are so ridiculous.

When we lose - our rotations suck - and we blame JV (this is fine).

When we win - we now aren't playing the rookies enough - so we blame JV.

Which is it? The guy is trying to find a balance between winning and playing the rookies meaningful minutes. Our rooks are not good enough offensively or aren't experienced enough to do both consistently.

Look at that list above - EP is tied for 3rd in minutes played amongst rookies - the only ones playing more are Milwaukee (who are 4-4) and Philadelphia (who are 0-7).

• Upvote 1

When we lose - our rotations suck - and we blame JV (this is fine).

When we win - we now aren't playing the rookies enough - so we blame JV.

You do realize that a team can win and STILL have ****ty rotations, right? Or that "Bad rotations" and "not playing rookies enough" aren't mutually exclusive ideas?

You do realize that a team can win and STILL have ****ty rotations, right? Or that "Bad rotations" and "not playing rookies enough" aren't mutually exclusive ideas?

They aren't mutually exclusive by any means. And it's not mutually exclusive to be able to develop our rookies and be able to bench them in certain situations -- and thats what I am referring to.

My point is that people will always find something to complain about (whether accurate or not) -- whether its EP's minutes (which you can see from above, would be a foolish claim), playing Ridnour too much in the 4th, or our rotations in general (even though our rotation was likely responsible for our win yesterday).

This is a year that's gonna have it's up and downs and is gonna be a year of experimentation in late game situations with certain rotations -- some of which will not involve our rookies if we want to give ourselves the best chance of winning the game. People just don't understand that.

So right now we're on pace for 29.8 wins which is about what we expected.

Are we any closer to figuring out if Vaughn is a good or a bad coach?

He's definitely not beyond criticism but we can't say he's bad (see Denver)

So right now we're on pace for 29.8 wins which is about what we expected.

Are we any closer to figuring out if Vaughn is a good or a bad coach?

He's definitely not beyond criticism but we can't say he's bad (see Denver)

There has been no improvement on his coaching abilities since last year. Vaughn has not put together a solid week of basketball since he has been here. Not one week of consistency for rotations, Def and Off schemes, or when to sit ppl and not to sit ppl.

I will be shocked if we make it to 29 wins.

There has been no improvement on his coaching abilities since last year. Vaughn has not put together a solid week of basketball since he has been here. Not one week of consistency for rotations, Def and Off schemes, or when to sit ppl and not to sit ppl.

I will be shocked if we make it to 29 wins.

This!!!

I would like to add just one thing, he has been consistent in one single area, and that is being inconsistent in basically every area of game planning.

I really like JV as a person, but his coaching has not progressed with the team. So in affect, he is holding back this current group of Magic men from turning the corner. He still has time, but like so many others, I have seen no progress in his abilities to coach.