Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Projecting 2014-15 Orlando Starting Line-up (link)

I guess starting Ridnour and then allowing Payton to take over when ready would be less disruptive to the starting five, so in that sense it might be a consideration. I just view Ridnour as a 12-15 mpg every third game kind of guy at this stage. It will be interesting. Do you think it's out of line to believe Payton could one day lead the league in APG? I know that's an optimistic view, but the guy just seems like an assist machine to me.

I could see it, maybe. I'm not positive who holds the franchise record for triple-doubles, but he seems like the kind of player who could own it in no time.

I can not see Ridnour starting, even just for a handful of games at the start. I still think we use a two guard front if we don't start Payton straight away.

I can not see Ridnour starting, even just for a handful of games at the start. I still think we use a two guard front if we don't start Payton straight away.

Gotta agree, I think if we start today, it would be Vic/Fournier starting in PG/SG positions. However by the time season starts, Payton might already prove himself to be a starter and we will see Payton/Vic instead.

I guess starting Ridnour and then allowing Payton to take over when ready would be less disruptive to the starting five, so in that sense it might be a consideration. I just view Ridnour as a 12-15 mpg every third game kind of guy at this stage. It will be interesting. Do you think it's out of line to believe Payton could one day lead the league in APG? I know that's an optimistic view, but the guy just seems like an assist machine to me.

I think it might have more to do with pace than his ability, if he develops into a top PG. Of course, if he gets the benefit of the home town nod like Rondo does as far as logging assists, anything is possible.

He did make things look easy in summer league more often than not, and I have high hopes, but I don't want to get too carried away with the lofty expectations.

Ridnour is a veteran emergency PG at this state of his career.

I expect Dipo and Fournier to start with Payton working his way into the starting role and Fournier coming off the bench.

Good news is we will have lots of competition for minutes this year.

I agree that Oladipo probably has to spend the first month or so in the starting PG role, just because I think it'll make a statement to fans (and other teams) like we're coming out to compete this year. It seems like ownership wants to start filling seats again, as they are starting with that Phase 2 expansion to the arena etc. However, I really think Payton is gonna be ready to rock sooner rather than later. He plays within himself, makes the simple play, and more often than not finds guys in scoring position with passes right on the numbers. I'm super excited to finally see a true point guard running the Magic's offense. Moreover, we saw last season that VO can be synonymous with TO if he has to do too much handling (esp. against the better teams). Dipo shifts to SG after 4-6 weeks tops.

Channing Frye starts, since he's a vet and it makes sense to pair him with Vuc right away. I was listening to Jalen Rose and David Jacoby talk about the Spencer Hawes signing in LA. Rose talks about how it's an under the radar deal that should have major consequences. Keeping one big out on the perimeter should create a lot more options for Chris Paul. I think the same principle applies, on a more modest level, to our team.

My main disagreement with some of the above discussion surrounds Tobias as a sixth man. I suppose the logic has to do with the fact that Harkless is probably a better defender and so he should start out there covering the opposing starter. I think that logic makes sense, but because Tobias seems to have the leadership gene you've got to give him the starting SF spot. His intangibles and work ethic should be rewarded with a starter's role. He's a chip-on-the-shoulder guy, with a couple years under his belt now, who will get everyone else going right from the jump. Got to give that man an introduction on the loudspeaker.

I think the sixth man role will ultimately fall to Fournier. He looks like he can get hot in a hurry and if you think about the kind of players who are sixth men (Ginobili, Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, JR Smith), they tend to be highly mobile, wiry dudes who can shoot it from three and get their own shot (Tobias can do these last two things but doesn't really fit the mold since he's more of a physical presence). Fournier is 6' 7" in shoes. If you play him for spells at the 1 that is a matchup nightmare of the most hellish variety. He's got height, he can handle, and he's probably the best outside shooter of the young guys (we'll see what happens with Marble, who I love but will probably not get a lot of minutes to start with).

So this is what I'm envisioning:

C: Vuc

PF: Frye

SF: Harris

SG: Dipo

PG: Elf

6th man: Fournier (interrupted by the occasional 20-25 point game from Ben Gordon)

PG: Payton

SG: Oladipo

PF: Gordon

C: Vucevic

6th: Frye

You really want/expect Gordon to start ahead of Frye? Have you seen Frye's advance statistics from last year and the effect he had on the Suns guards? Gordon is no where near ready to start, let alone contribute big minutes. I would surprise if he gets more than 20 minutes a game at this early stage of his career.

I agree that Oladipo probably has to spend the first month or so in the starting PG role, just because I think it'll make a statement to fans (and other teams) like we're coming out to compete this year. It seems like ownership wants to start filling seats again, as they are starting with that Phase 2 expansion to the arena etc. However, I really think Payton is gonna be ready to rock sooner rather than later. He plays within himself, makes the simple play, and more often than not finds guys in scoring position with passes right on the numbers. I'm super excited to finally see a true point guard running the Magic's offense. Moreover, we saw last season that VO can be synonymous with TO if he has to do too much handling (esp. against the better teams). Dipo shifts to SG after 4-6 weeks tops.

Channing Frye starts, since he's a vet and it makes sense to pair him with Vuc right away. I was listening to Jalen Rose and David Jacoby talk about the Spencer Hawes signing in LA. Rose talks about how it's an under the radar deal that should have major consequences. Keeping one big out on the perimeter should create a lot more options for Chris Paul. I think the same principle applies, on a more modest level, to our team.

My main disagreement with some of the above discussion surrounds Tobias as a sixth man. I suppose the logic has to do with the fact that Harkless is probably a better defender and so he should start out there covering the opposing starter. I think that logic makes sense, but because Tobias seems to have the leadership gene you've got to give him the starting SF spot. His intangibles and work ethic should be rewarded with a starter's role. He's a chip-on-the-shoulder guy, with a couple years under his belt now, who will get everyone else going right from the jump. Got to give that man an introduction on the loudspeaker.

I think the sixth man role will ultimately fall to Fournier. He looks like he can get hot in a hurry and if you think about the kind of players who are sixth men (Ginobili, Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, JR Smith), they tend to be highly mobile, wiry dudes who can shoot it from three and get their own shot (Tobias can do these last two things but doesn't really fit the mold since he's more of a physical presence). Fournier is 6' 7" in shoes. If you play him for spells at the 1 that is a matchup nightmare of the most hellish variety. He's got height, he can handle, and he's probably the best outside shooter of the young guys (we'll see what happens with Marble, who I love but will probably not get a lot of minutes to start with).

So this is what I'm envisioning:

C: Vuc

PF: Frye

SG: Dipo

PG: Elf

6th man: Fournier (interrupted by the occasional 20-25 point game from Ben Gordon)

I hold a very similar opinion to yourself. But, in my opinion I do not think it all comes down to who is the better defender (Harkless to me has not proven that he is a good defender yet). I think what it comes down to is that Harris is a much more advanced offensive player than Harkless and we have needed that coming off the bench since JJ was traded. I also agree with you that Fournier could be the guy that brings a punch off the bench and allows Harris to start over Harkless. I particularly think that if we have B.Gordon and Fournier coming in as the second unit as that is decent scoring from the guard positions. I still also hold the opinion that Harkless may be one of the young guys that does not stay with the team too long, I just don't see enough potential or improvement in him, as already stated I do not think he is the defensive stopper he needs to be with his lack of offensive power.

I hold a very similar opinion to yourself. But, in my opinion I do not think it all comes down to who is the better defender (Harkless to me has not proven that he is a good defender yet). I think what it comes down to is that Harris is a much more advanced offensive player than Harkless and we have needed that coming off the bench since JJ was traded. I also agree with you that Fournier could be the guy that brings a punch off the bench and allows Harris to start over Harkless. I particularly think that if we have B.Gordon and Fournier coming in as the second unit as that is decent scoring from the guard positions. I still also hold the opinion that Harkless may be one of the young guys that does not stay with the team too long, I just don't see enough potential or improvement in him, as already stated I do not think he is the defensive stopper he needs to be with his lack of offensive power.

There are things I like about Harkless, but yeah, I'm not so sure if he's a long term piece of the puzzle. More than anything else, I think it'll be hard to give him and Aaron meaningful minutes at the 3 (if Harris indeed starts). For the record, I'm not a huge fan of Aaron yet, since I was hoping for Exum (obviously we'll see how things pan out with these two guys in actual NBA games). If they use Aaron at the 4 as a pick-and-roll finisher in the early Blake Griffin mold, playing him for, say, 10 Minutes at PF and another 5-8 at SF, that might allow for Harkless to have a more stable role as a member of the second unit. My biggest fear for this season is the idea of Jacque Vaughn allowing Aaron too much latitude to develop bad habits on the offensive end. He needs to progress at a sensible rate from athletic dunker and cleanup guy to someone with a legit faceup game. He took a ton of seriously unwise jumpers in summer league. Giving Harkless a defined role at the 3 this season might be best for both players.

Edited by VintageGarrity

Ridnour is a veteran emergency PG at this state of his career.

I expect Dipo and Fournier to start with Payton working his way into the starting role and Fournier coming off the bench.

Good news is we will have lots of competition for minutes this year.

If we start Ridnour I'll take it as a sign that we're tanking again.