Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Projecting 2014-15 Orlando Starting Line-up (link)

Projected Starters: Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Channing Frye, Nikola Vucevic

Notable Challengers: Aaron Gordon

Youth, youth, youth.

The Orlando Magic have made no pretenses about trying to be competitive right away, as their veteran signings (Channing Frye and Ben Gordon) were accompanied by cost-cutting moves, like severing ties with Jameer Nelson, who's obviously more ready to lead an NBA team than Elfrid Payton. Payton should have a strong rookie season, possibly competing for Rookie of the Year, but Nelson is still effective, after all.

Quite frankly, the Magic don't have many tough decisions to make.

Aaron Gordon clearly isn't ready to play major minutes until he develops more of a presence in offensive sets, and Frye's arrival leaves no doubt who should start at the 4...for now. The rest of the choices are even more obvious, unless the Magic inexplicably bring in more veterans to steal minutes from their young guns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2130113-projecting-2014-15-nba-starting-lineups-after-free-agency-frenzy/page/23

I reckon it is important not to start Elfrid Payton straight away. I think the other difficult decision on a starter is Tobias Harris and Mo Harkless SF situation, I would like to have Harris in a 6th man role whilst we have Payton on the bench, but that could change once he starts. So I would like to see a starting line-up of:

C: Vucevic

PF: Frye

SF: Harkless

SG: Fournier

PG: Oladipo

Then maybe 20-40 games in a change to:

SF: Harris

SG: Oladipo

PG: Payton

I reckon it is important not to start Elfrid Payton straight away. I think the other difficult decision on a starter is Tobias Harris and Mo Harkless SF situation, I would like to have Harris in a 6th man role whilst we have Payton on the bench, but that could change once he starts. So I would like to see a starting line-up of:

Totally on board with this but Id like Harris to be our 6th man throughout.

Totally on board with this but Id like Harris to be our 6th man throughout.

My only issue with Harris coming on as a 6th man with that second team lineup I posted is that with Payton and Oladipo our shooting would not be as good as with Oladipo and Fournier. I reckon a good slashing lineup with O'Quinn who can hit those mid-rangers and two shooters at guard would work well for second lineup. I could envision Fournier being that 6th Man scorer off the bench, and then we also have B. Gordon.

C: O'quinn

PF: Gordon

PG: Ridnour

Being that Jacque Vaughn broke records in changes in starting lineups,there should be no surprise when our lineup isn't consistent.

The season should start with an experienced lineup as Kane said and should dynamically change through the season to allow the rookies to settle in.

I think our starting lineup should be like this:

IMO that starting lineup gives you a good balance of scoring and defense.

Sixth man: SF Tobias Harris

Remaining bench:

PF: Aaron Gordon

PG: Luke Ridnour

C: Kyle O'Quinn

SG: Evan Fournier

SG: Ben Gordon

PF: Andrew Nicholson

C: Dewayne Dedmon

SG: Roy Devyn Marble

SG: Willie Green

I think Payton moves into the starting line up as soon as he is anywhere close to ready. That could be opening night, depending on training camp and preseason, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ridnour there initially.

I think Payton moves into the starting line up as soon as he is anywhere close to ready. That could be opening night, depending on training camp and preseason, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ridnour there initially.

I would be surprised to see Ridnour in the starting line-up. My guess is we'd start Dipo at PG initially with Fournier at SG if we opt to bring Payton along more slowly.

I would be surprised to see Ridnour in the starting line-up. My guess is we'd start Dipo at PG initially with Fournier at SG if we opt to bring Payton along more slowly.

We might, and I wouldn't think twice if we saw Dipo in the starting lineup as the PG, but I hope the Dipo PG experiment is over and we set him free to SG duties moving forward with limited time at PG as needed.

We might, and I wouldn't think twice if we saw Dipo in the starting lineup as the PG, but I hope the Dipo PG experiment is over and we set him free to SG duties moving forward with limited time at PG as needed.

I guess starting Ridnour and then allowing Payton to take over when ready would be less disruptive to the starting five, so in that sense it might be a consideration. I just view Ridnour as a 12-15 mpg every third game kind of guy at this stage. It will be interesting. Do you think it's out of line to believe Payton could one day lead the league in APG? I know that's an optimistic view, but the guy just seems like an assist machine to me.