CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I mainly just don't want Tobias starting over Mario (really ever) for long. Mario is NBA ready. We all know he has the pedigree and the size/skillset to come in and contribute right away.

I really just don't like the Payton/Dipo/Harris back court, just not enough scoring or shooting. Now if we could convince Harris to sign for a reasonable number and bring him off the bench, I can get on board with that, just don't see that remotely happening. Harris strikes me as a go to the highest bidder player that thinks he's better than he is and sees himself as a surefire NBA starter.

The sooner we get Mario in that starting lineup the better.

Regardless of how ready Mario is I think we need to play Harris more at the 4. That's where he's been most effective iirc

I vehemently disagree about Harris being effective at the four. Maybe in short stretches, but the reality of the situation was that our front court was abused on a regular basis-aside from Nik it all needed upgraded. Harris is absolutely terrible at defense regardless of position and only scores well in losing situations, and that's only sometimes.

The cap is going to balloon soon though isn't it? If we do keep Harris the contract won't seem so big in a couple of years. There's nothing wrong with giving a big contract to the first guy off the bench.

I don't dispute this. What I do dispute is Harris being fine with coming off the bench as the highest paid player on the team.

Building off hehateme it sets a negative precedence at the least. Regardless of the cap increase Harris isn't worth that much.

I don't dispute this. What I do dispute is Harris being fine with coming off the bench as the highest paid player on the team.

I actually think we might be selling Tobias short on that; I think he is quite a "team-first" player, and smart enough to realize that he might get better match-ups by being the leader of our bench-brigade.

Regardless of how ready Mario is I think we need to play Harris more at the 4. That's where he's been most effective iirc

I vehemently disagree about Harris being effective at the four. Maybe in short stretches, but the reality of the situation was that our front court was abused on a regular basis-aside from Nik it all needed upgraded. Harris is absolutely terrible at defense regardless of position and only scores well in losing situations, and that's only sometimes.

See this is the issue with Harris. He's been in the league 4 years now and people are still split on what position he is best suited at. The thing is, I kind of agree with both of you, which is a problem.

Can we somewhat just agree that we could probably spend that 4 yr 60 mil on Harris elsewhere? If we see Mario as our SF of the future, why not take that money and go get a PF? Than you have AG who can come in off the bench and play either SF or PF.

Yeah, I just saw that here:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25224780/report-teams-think-mario-hezonja-is-trying-to-pull-a-kobe-to-get-to-pistons

Probably just the media trying to make a story where there isn't one.

The complaint was about not making Mario available but Hennigan went out and interviewed him at the beginning of June, so if they were trying to keep him away from certain teams, it doesn't look like we were one of them.

Line up Payton, Oladipo, Mario, Gordon, Vuc

That's a great lineup for the future. I don't see that being our starting 5 anytime soon because it's insanely young. Honestly a few years from now, that is a starting 5 that could take us to the Finals again if these guys continue to develop and Mario delivers on his star potential.

The question will be whether AG can develop into a starting 4. Just for fun, compare AG's measureables to Dwight's measureables at their respective combines. Dwight later grew a couple of inches since he was only 18 at the time. AG was 19 at the time and might grow some also. Not saying AG will become Dwight. But, the Magic need AG to grow into a PF profile, especially for shot blocking/rim protection purposes, and not a dominant low post center. Just on athleticism and size, it seems like a reasonable possibility that AG may develop into the PF we need. Add his athleticism and D to Payton, Dipo and Mario and it's easy to start picturing stifling defense leading to a lot of blazing fastbreaks.

Aaron Gordon 2014 Combine: Height w/shoes = 6'8.75"; Weight= 220; Wingspan= 6'11.75"; Standing Reach= 8'9"; No Step Vert= 32.5; Max Vert= 39.0

Dwight Howard 2004 Combine: Height w/shoes = 6'10.25"; Weight= 240; Wingspan= 7'4.5"; Standing Reach= 9'3.5"; No Step Vert= 30.5; Max Vert= 35.5

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Gordon-6458/

http://www1.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

That is simply not true. Harris is more effective at PF and has a +4.7 PER Net Differential at that spot.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14ORL10.HTM

I'm happy with this pick, it gives us the scoring we need and go to guy that when needing points we can utilize him. Mario can run PNR well, and gives us a third ball handler, giving us 3 options to initiate offense in Payton/Dipo/Mario. That makes it incredibly difficult for teams and defenses to prepare on which option will initiate because all three bring a unique skill set that will dictate how a defence is going to play up in the half court, not to mention on the break these 3 are supremely athletic players that could execute on the break extremely well.

Can you imagine Hezonja playing PNR with Vuc once he's settled in the league? There are a myriad of scoring scenarios here. Vuc popping, rolling, ducking to the post. Mario pulling up for a jumper, getting to the rim, hitting an open team mate cutting(which payton/dipo do extremely well, as well as Bias/AG)

I'm excited to say the least. Now we need a decent PF that can give our team some grit, some bully toughness. A David West type of guy

I am super excited by the pick of Mario. I would have loved to Get porzingas first and then Mario, so it turned out great for what i believe.

Last year the games were somewhat of a drag to go to with our scoring droughts and inefficient percentage of making shots. I am really excited and hope the Mario brings lightning in a bottle and lights it up the way Stephan Curry can. In fact i would love if Tobais would accept the 6th man 30+plus minutes role. I think he can score 20+ in that type of situation and would be the next Jamal Crawford. He is good enough to be a starter which makes it all the more reason it would be awesome to have him a s 6th man (AI) type of situation.

This was the perfect compliment to what we ned and by all scouting and video he is an excellent defender when motivated, so i hope that Skiles can bring the best out of him.

just read this interesting piece:

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/06/23/a-manifesto-for-the-best-player-available-approach/

I really do think Mario was the best player to take at 5. Though WCS is no slouch, I don't think he'll end up being better than Mario.

Also interesting is our roster turnover the past seasons. So if it means Tobias gotta move on then so be it.