CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

The smaller the league gets, the more valuable Tobias Harris gets in my opinion. He's a stretch 4 in todays NBA and, you're right Cat, he and Gordon are interchangeable at the 3/4 defensively. This team is getting to the point of being loaded with young, athletic talent and FA hasn't even begun. Assuming Henny is active and opens the wallet we could make a big jump this year in the East, meaning a legitimate shot at 6-8 seed and a tough out for higher seeds.

Anyone notice that besides Evans, and Vic on the radio, no other wings on the roster commented about the pick last night. Did I miss anything?

Anyone notice that besides Evans, and Vic on the radio, no other wings on the roster commented about the pick last night. Did I miss anything?

Honestly, I think it may be a touchy subject with him slotted to play Tobias' position in the future. We as fans tend to forget that these guys aren't focusing on getting better players, but more on being better. And they may worry when new guys are brought in that they will lose a friend because of that turnover. It's a business, but these are people who sweat and work hard together to be the best team they can be. I think Tobias is re-signed; but it would be awkward to lose him because they got Mario while the players try to embrace a new guy while not feeling like they're betraying the ousted guy. So smart players just remain somewhat aloof until the situation is more clear.

Honestly, I think it may be a touchy subject with him slotted to play Tobias' position in the future. We as fans tend to forget that these guys aren't focusing on getting better players, but more on being better. And they may worry when new guys are brought in that they will lose a friend because of that turnover. It's a business, but these are people who sweat and work hard together to be the best team they can be. I think Tobias is re-signed; but it would be awkward to lose him because they got Mario while the players try to embrace a new guy while not feeling like they're betraying the ousted guy. So smart players just remain somewhat aloof until the situation is more clear.

With it being a business the guys know that players move on or get moved on. It may hurt for a day but they know they have to move on. That's why you don't let the players make any personnel decisions (Dwight). Let them have input but don't hand them the keys, they get too emotional.

As much of an asset as Harris is, we also have to remember that there is a salary cap - even one that will be expanding in upcoming years. To use the "Moneyball" reference, you're buying wins with the money you have.

If we sign Harris to a big FA deal, that means we are potentially make it so that we will not be able to resign Vic or Elfrid in 2-3 years because we won't have the cap space.

The point is: yes, you don't want to allow an asset to just walk, but you ALSO don't want to overvalue an asset so that it forces you to give up other more valuable assets.

As much of an asset as Harris is, we also have to remember that there is a salary cap - even one that will be expanding in upcoming years. To use the "Moneyball" reference, you're buying wins with the money you have.

If we sign Harris to a big FA deal, that means we are potentially make it so that we will not be able to resign Vic or Elfrid in 2-3 years because we won't have the cap space.

The point is: yes, you don't want to allow an asset to just walk, but you ALSO don't want to overvalue an asset so that it forces you to give up other more valuable assets.

the cap is going way up, we will have no problem signing our guys and trading harris down the line. in the new system a 13-15 million contract is not going to be that bad

• Upvote 1

I agree that Harris' contract could mean, even with the new deal coming through, trouble down the road. But Harris is always going to be moveable. He's not going to be worth any less in two-or-three years than he is now, to Orlando or to other teams. If you can't keep him later, then fine; trade him then. But don't worry about paying a young asset money he's worth because maybe one day you'll need that money. Tobias Harris on a near-max contract is enviable to a lot of teams now. In 2-3 years, people will still want him on that contract. You don't sign veterans who could regress or get old on you to big contracts when future re-signs are looming. But you always re-sign young versatile guys who are still getting better if they are worth the money, so long as it doesn't hurt your team on the floor. Harris is, and he doesn't. Re-signing Harris is like buying gold. It rarely loses value and it will always be moveable.

Rob hennigans cap management skills are second to none. I have no concerns there. What he did to get us out of cap hell was a miracle in itself.

• Upvote 1

He's just too much of an asset presently, and in the future.

Gotta keep him unless in a good sign and trade.

I agree. I think we match or do a sign and trade. I dont think we let him walk.

I for see an offensive starting line, if we pay harris the max.

Though I dont like the defense, I can totally see this coming

Vuch / Frye / Dedmon

Harris / Gordon

Mario

Victor / Evan

Payton

With getting so much money, I dont see Harris coming off the bench.

Ideally I would want to switch Harris and Gordon in the starting spot for offensive/defensive balance

The seems better to me

Vuch

Gordon

Mario

Victor

Payton

Rob hennigans cap management skills are second to none. I have no concerns there. What he did to get us out of cap hell was a miracle in itself.

What he really did wasn't a miracle it was common sense. Trade one of the best players in the league along with as many bad contracts as you can send with him. Let the rest of the guys expire or do minor trades to unload a couple more. Most of this brilliance just took time and someone with an IQ over 50 who wouldn't just add more insanely stupid long term players (IE Otis). I can remember when Otis showed up we had cap space, picks and two rookie bargains in D12 and Jameer. Otis was like a really dumb kid in a toy store (for instance move #1 paying Rashard 40 million more than anyone else could and then inexplicably adding year 7 to an overaged overused player)....he just spent and spent regardless of the long term effects on the team. Then when he knew he was done (D12 was gone) he accelerated the stupidity because he knew he wasn't going to be here to clean up the mess (see Gilbert). Enter someone with a brain to clean up the mess. Henry has the team moving the right way but he better get more wins or someone else will be making the future moves with the team.