CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I don't even wanna entertain this one, but not to mention: At WCS's age, Dwight was averaging nearly double in every statistical category across the board...IN THE NBA

Dwight was brutally bad his first two years. Any scoring he got was put back dunks. He had zero offense outside of dunking (some would still argue that). College games are typically 60-70 points and much quicker than pro games. Pros get 100 points per game and that means higher offensive numbers in points and rebounds. WCS was not the man in college and their was a team of top 10 college talent around him to spread the scoring hence Towns poor numbers too. Look at what Dean Smith and the Tarheels teams did to Jordans numbers.

There are many guys who aren't top 10 college recruits who become big time NBA players. We all want guys who look like Bron and Shaq coming out of high school but guess what were sitting at 5 and as far as I know Mario and most of the guys were talking about werent top 10 recruits either (and yes I know he is overseas). Im not making up a Dwight comparison but measurement wise and according to the guys at DX (who most of us respect) they compared him to a Dwight. At this point of years of defensive drafts we have two problems....yes the offense stinks...but we still are bad on defense. Real bad.

I propose that the ability to add an established shooter from free agency (this year or next) will be easier than adding the big man. It always will be the case. Noel and Embiid both will command higher value than Dipo and Gordon despite their lack of production compared to the small players. We might like our two guys but the value is in the rim protector in my eyes.

The funny thing in the end Henny will pull someone from left field no one thought about. Then we can all bitsh and moan eventually saying that Henny made a great pick and we should have known. My guess is Mudlay falls and Henny gets the home run offer Otis used to give out every year to get his guy in free agency. I would love to drop a few spots...pick up a future first or even this year and take two swings (offense and defense) and we can all be happy.

• Upvote 3

Are you comparing wcs to Dwight?

Dwight was unanimously the #1 recruit in 2004. Wcs was the consensus 39th ranked recruit in 2012.

Dwight was also 18 when we drafted him, a lot easier to project growth for an 18 year old than it is a 21 year old that played against mostly 18/19 year olds.

I guess if you want to compare WCS to Dwight, your are free to do so. I'll be taking no part in that one though.

I think people on here forget how good Dwight was when he was just 21. You say Dwight had no offensive moves, and to an extent that's true, but he at the very least knew how to post up against smaller defenders and abuse them. That's something WCS hasn't even shown the ability to do against SEC competition. Dwight was doing that in the NBA at 21.

• Upvote 3

For perspective - Karl Towns averaged 10.3 points a game and is considered the unanimous top pick.

The Kentucky system is ever going to be comparable to NBA players logging far more minutes.

yeah but when you pro-rate towns numbers it paints a clear picture

per 40 he was 19.5/13/4

WCS is 13/10/2.5

There's a lot of anti-WCS on this board and this article will likely further increase the opinions against him, but heres a good read about him as a person. It's from Dec 2014.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2287213-superstardom-awaits-willie-cauley-steinif-he-finally-decides-he-wants-it

Some very alarming quotes that show how he's the opposite of everything we've seen in our players from past drafts, but I see something special and untapped within him. Enjoy the long read.

yeah but when you pro-rate towns numbers it paints a clear picture

per 40 he was 19.5/13/4

WCS is 13/10/2.5

Yeah and those aren't bad numbers really., averaging a double double and almost 3 blocks. It's what I would expect from WCS in the NBA, plus a guy who can anchor a defense and allow smaller players to spread the floor around him. Those guys are not easy to find which is why he is a consensus top 10 pick right now.

What about Mario's attitude is the problem? I read he's cocky but anything else?

he does the Kobe thing were he gets on teammates. I don't know if it is negative. I personally think you need people like that on the team.

[/size]

http://insider.espn....24/myles-turner

Can't wait to hear the feedback from the Turner/Porzingis workout this Friday.

Turner is sort of the forgotten man so far in this pre-draft process (especially by we here who so desperately want a guy who can be both rim protector and defense-stretcher). I love some of the things I see in him. Most of his problems seem to be about growth physically and mentally. I don't like that he seems to have trouble as a passer. His knees need to check out. Other than that, he needs to gain weight and strength (almost a guarantee at his age), gain consistency on his jumper (also almost a guarantee), and develop his post game. Also, he needs to further develop his awareness and fundamentals on D (almost a guarantee under Skiles).