CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

It won't. Gordon is 20 and is going to be developed like he is 20. If we draft a PF or SF it will not tell us too much that we don't already know. The Magic believe he can play both positions and he played both positions last year. He even guarded 5s and 2s at times. He is a swiss army knife really. We could resign Harris and let him and Gordon battle for minutes, and it does not mean that the Magic don't think Gordon will not end up the starter at some point. My opinion has alway been that Harris is a super 6th man who can come off the bench and play 3 or 4 and get lots of minutes while giving our bench the scoring punch it desperately needs.

I don't disagree that Gordon is a swiss army knife kind of player. But if they believe Gordon is a long-term starter (which at the #4 pick, I'd hope so), then picking another long-term starter in this draft whose primary position is a 4 would tell me something if there was an equally good/upside player who they could pick whose primary position was a 3. Now, if you think Henny is drafting like Hinkie and just collecting assets, you're right, you can't read anything into duplicating positional talent with high draft picks.

As for your thoughts on Porzingis, I completely agree. While he won't be as good of a rim protector as a Dedmon or WCS, I think he can provide enough help defense in the paint to improve our rim protection and when you add his offensive contribution to that, he'd be a net positive over a rim protector who doesn't help/hurts our floor spacing. I also think you maximize Gordon's defensive skills by putting him on athletic wings more than stretch 4's or down-low bruisers.

A DraftExpress scouting breakdown earlier this year mentioned the former Wildcat's shooting stroke as a "strength" to his game, even if UK fans rarely got to see it outside of pregame warm-ups.

So Givony knew Cauley-Stein could shoot. He just didn't know he could shoot like he did Monday, when he was draining jumpers from all over the floor in a variety of ways.

"Just to see him knocking down three-pointer after three-pointer — that I wasn't really prepared for," he said.

"There's a difference between hitting that shot by yourself in a gym and doing it in a game with a defender on you and all that pressure," Givony said. "But that's how guys become shooters. They work on it by themselves, and they get more comfortable with it in the game setting. I think what this means to me is that he has the potential to develop into that."
DraftExpress.com projects Cauley-Stein as the No. 5 overall pick to the Orlando Magic, though Givony said Wednesday that he could "totally see" the former UK center go to the New York Knicks at No. 4.

No matter where he ends up, he'll be expected to make an immediate impact.

"I think whatever team he's going to go to is going to really need him," Givony said. "I don't see him coming in and being like a project guy, playing 10 minutes a game. I think that whoever picks him is going to need him to come in and play a role right away, and I think he's ready to do that."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/06/04/3884 ... rylink=cpy

Interesting thought:

Vuc took a decent number of threes in college. If Orlando takes WCS, would we perhaps see Vuc try to extend his range out to NBA 3-point range and become the oh-so-rare stretch 5? If he became effective from out there, I could see the offense working with WCS as the p-&-r man.

Interesting thought:

Vuc took a decent number of threes in college. If Orlando takes WCS, would we perhaps see Vuc try to extend his range out to NBA 3-point range and become the oh-so-rare stretch 5? If he became effective from out there, I could see the offense working with WCS as the p-&-r man.

Good thought.

I don't see why it couldn't work with Vuc standing in his sweet spot, that 18'-20' range. Vuc could catch the pass and shoot it, or catch and throw the lob to the rolling WCS, or just hit whoever is standing in the corner for the corner 3. If defender is tight on Vuc, Elf or Vic could go straight to the hoop for layup or lob to WCS. Could also skip pass it to the corner. Another option is to let WCS pop instead of rolling. Depending on how defense rotates on the back side, can hit the corner for open 3, hit WCS for open jumper (comfortable with him taking it), or just let ball handler go at his man 1-on-1 with no help.

Yeah, but that's no fun for discussion. At the end of the day whoever rob picks I'll be fine with because we only have 50% of the information.

Watch him pick Cameron Payne

Payne over Porz I would be fine with.

Good thought.

I don't see why it couldn't work with Vuc standing in his sweet spot, that 18'-20' range. Vuc could catch the pass and shoot it, or catch and throw the lob to the rolling WCS, or just hit whoever is standing in the corner for the corner 3. If defender is tight on Vuc, Elf or Vic could go straight to the hoop for layup or lob to WCS. Could also skip pass it to the corner. Another option is to let WCS pop instead of rolling. Depending on how defense rotates on the back side, can hit the corner for open 3, hit WCS for open jumper (comfortable with him taking it), or just let ball handler go at his man 1-on-1 with no help.

He would need to extend beyond that 18'-20' range. NBA defenses are too quick these days. For it to work as a consistent offensive set he needs to be near the 3-point arc.

2 questions:

If it turns out the WCS really CAN shoot and just wasn't used as a shooter in college, would you take him at 5 if the Knicks didn't at 4 even if Mario or Porzingis was still available?

If the Knicks DO take WCS at 4 that means either Russell or Mudiay are still available at #5... so now who do you take?