CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

250 may be Porzingis' ceiling. Honestly, if he just strengthens his lower body, he probably won't need to be all that thick though the shoulders.

Kristaps Porzingis said he’s currently 230 pounds, foresees putting on as much as 30 pounds before he gets to his ideal NBA playing weight.

Source: Jake Fischer of Sports Illustrated on Twitter

Anybody check out that Indian dude Satnam Singh 7'2 290? He's got about a 6" vertical LOL

I seem to remember a press conference sometime shortly after the Dwight trade that Henny said something on the order of we are going to build and develop the Magic to be a team that plays like a team, with no one star that we have to depend on.

If we are still continuing along that path I think we draft to fill a need, and right now rim protection is our biggest need.

Problem is we kind of saw that in action last year, and it wasn't pretty. Dedmon may have a lot lower ceiling than WCS but the one dimension he was pretty good at was rim protection. And we still sucked, because with him in (and Payton and maybe Gordon) we were playing 2 or 3 v 5 on offense.

I don't want to see last year (or the year before that or even the year before that one) repeated again next year.

I'll start by saying I agree with Mario if you're looking for a scoring wing.

However, if youre looking for a big to fit on this team it sounds like you want a guy who is good on offense and questionable on defense...instead of a guy who is elite on defense and questionable on offense.

To me I dont see how that is a "punch in the nuts" scenario. It's a preference for offense over defense and that is not what our team needs for their big man. If you're drafting offense...you go Winslow/Mario. However there is no logical explanation for Zinger over WCS because we do not need offense at the 4 spot. We need defense and Porzingis does not fit that mold.

So if you want offense, im fine with Mario/Winslow but an offensive 4 is not going to solve our issues. People have Porzingis too high on their lists and WCS is getting a bad wrap because people are brushing off defensive impact because they're only looking through the draft with an offensive lens.

First of all, to say that this team does not need offense from its 4 is absurd. This team has been terrible on offense for 3 years. They need offense from anywhere they can get it.

Secondly, accusing everyone who has questions about the WCS idea of looking at the draft through an offensive lens (at least I think that's what you meant to say) is basically ignoring that there are in fact two sides of the game of basketball. It isn't the NFL, where drafting a D-lineman over a RB is a move for defense. Any NBA draft pick will affect both the offense and defense, and so any NBA draft pick (especially in terms of fit) must be looked at with an understanding of how he will affect both offense and defense. Anyone here will agree that WCS would make Orlando a much better defensive team. Those who are questioning the idea are those who fear what his limitations will do to the offensive side of the game, and think it may offset any impact made on the defensive end.

There are plenty of places WCS could go where he would not hurt the offense because he could just stay near the basket where he can be useful on occasion and grab offensive rebounds. But can Orlando afford for him to do that? For him to be able to do that, there have to be shooters around him. Orlando currently has two guys who see significant minutes who can shoot consistently: Frye and Fournier. Frye plays WCS' position unless Orlando trades Vuc. Fournier comes off the bench. Which means the starting lineup in Orlando (if Harris is retained) consists of five players who are all most effective from 15 feet and in, and no players who are consistently effective from beyond 20 feet. If his minutes are managed creatively (putting him in lineups with Frye or Fournier as much as possible), it can be arranged so that only 4 of the players need the same area. That is not just a problem. That is a catastrophe. We saw that catastrophe last year with Dedmon and 4. The defense was better but the offense was abysmal, so the team was still terrible.

That is why in some very legitimate lines of thinking Porzingis makes more sense than WCS. Porz projects as a better than average rim protector. He won't be guarding 1-5's like WCS; but defense doesn't have to be played that way. Memphis doesn't have Gasol or Zebo guarding little guys, and neither did the Lakers when they started Gasol and Bynum. Nor do the Jazz or the Bulls or the Hornets or the Wizards or the Pacers play mostly lineups with 4's who can guard more than two or at best three positions, all teams in the top 15 in defensive efficiency.

There is the issue. Defense can be played very well in Orlando without a player like WCS. A good argument exists that with WCS and no other consistent shooters (which is the way Orlando's team is currently built), the Magic would not be able to be effective at all on offense.

So it seems that, in fact, Orlando really does need offense from its 4. It needs both offense and defense. Which is why some people like Porzingis.

First of all, to say that this team does not need offense from its 4 is absurd. This team has been terrible on offense for 3 years. They need offense from anywhere they can get it.

Secondly, accusing everyone who has questions about the WCS idea of looking at the draft through an offensive lens (at least I think that's what you meant to say) is basically ignoring that there are in fact two sides of the game of basketball. It isn't the NFL, where drafting a D-lineman over a RB is a move for defense. Any NBA draft pick will affect both the offense and defense, and so any NBA draft pick (especially in terms of fit) must be looked at with an understanding of how he will affect both offense and defense. Anyone here will agree that WCS would make Orlando a much better defensive team. Those who are questioning the idea are those who fear what his limitations will do to the offensive side of the game, and think it may offset any impact made on the defensive end.

There are plenty of places WCS could go where he would not hurt the offense because he could just stay near the basket where he can be useful on occasion and grab offensive rebounds. But can Orlando afford for him to do that? For him to be able to do that, there have to be shooters around him. Orlando currently has two guys who see significant minutes who can shoot consistently: Frye and Fournier. Frye plays WCS' position unless Orlando trades Vuc. Fournier comes off the bench. Which means the starting lineup in Orlando (if Harris is retained) consists of five players who are all most effective from 15 feet and in, and no players who are consistently effective from beyond 20 feet. If his minutes are managed creatively (putting him in lineups with Frye or Fournier as much as possible), it can be arranged so that only 4 of the players need the same area. That is not just a problem. That is a catastrophe. We saw that catastrophe last year with Dedmon and 4. The defense was better but the offense was abysmal, so the team was still terrible.

That is why in some very legitimate lines of thinking Porzingis makes more sense than WCS. Porz projects as a better than average rim protector. He won't be guarding 1-5's like WCS; but defense doesn't have to be played that way. Memphis doesn't have Gasol or Zebo guarding little guys, and neither did the Lakers when they started Gasol and Bynum. Nor do the Jazz or the Bulls or the Hornets or the Wizards or the Pacers play mostly lineups with 4's who can guard more than two or at best three positions, all teams in the top 15 in defensive efficiency.

There is the issue. Defense can be played very well in Orlando without a player like WCS. A good argument exists that with WCS and no other consistent shooters (which is the way Orlando's team is currently built), the Magic would not be able to be effective at all on offense.

So it seems that, in fact, Orlando really does need offense from its 4. It needs both offense and defense. Which is why some people like Porzingis.

We can slide Aaron Gordon to PF and go wing in the draft.

Vuch

Gordon

Mario

Vic

payton

It goes with scott's style of play: up up tempo, defensive, and we get balance of offense and defense. I just keep thinking of Aaron's role. We invested a lot in him.

Vuch

Gordon

Mario

Vic

payton

It goes with scott's style of play: up up tempo, defensive, and we get balance of offense and defense. I just keep thinking of Aaron's role. We invested a lot in him.

I'm all for this, so long as Aaron develops as a decent rim protector and outside shooter. He has the athleticism and quickness for shot-blocking, but I'm not sure about his timing. His jumper should come along with work and time. We'll have to wait and see if that's the rout Orlando goes.

Vuch

Gordon

Mario

Vic

payton

This draft may tell us something about how the front office sees Aaron Gordon in regards to future primary position. There are both good wing prospects (Mario and Winslow) and good PF prospects (Porzingis and WCS) so if they believe those four players are in a similar tier, I'd guess they will draft for the position AG won't be filling as a long-term starter.

Vuch

Gordon

Mario

Vic

payton

This is my preference. I love the balance of that starting line-up and think that unit could be more than adequate both offensively and defensively (with proper coaching).