CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

hezonja is my favorite at 5 too.

payton

dipo

hezonja

gordan

vuc

would be a decent starting 5 that could run with anybody. add fournier and harris for bench scoring and we got a stew goin

and no way do any of the top international prospects stay overseas with the new cap coming. they could come here and be making $25mill+ per year in 4 years time. No way they pass that up

awesome detective work CTMagicUK. will be paying attention to DX mocks now.

Obviously it should be noted that there's a difference between revealing you're going to pick Osby at 51 when most people think he'll go undrafted and revealing you're going to draft a top guy.

DX had us picking Exum at 4 like most people last year.

I just found it weird the change in direction from the first extended mock to the second considering we didn't move draft position and neither Hezonja or WCS changed their stock. So maybe Givony knows something, but that something could just be "we like a lot of Euro guys this year" or "we're not a fan of WCS".

EDIT: and importantly, maybe he doesn't know anything and I'm just trying to make something out of nothing.

I'm seeing Porz mocked to us way to much still. And as much as we all like Mario (every other forum I've been on for other teams, they seem to be in love with him too) I just don't know if I see Rob drafting him. He hasn't drafted one guy that has the least bit of character concerns. Mario isn't a bad guy by any stretch, but he isn't Mr.Team either. Payton, AG, Dipo and even guys like Orsby and Nicoloson are all ultimate team kind of guys.

Now Mario could prove to be to good of a fit to pass up, but I seriously have my doubts. Hopefully he interviews great for us because that will be of the utmost importance with us for drafting him. I also think people underestimate how good Mario could be defensively with a coach like Thibs.

CT you are definitely correct. This only sits alongside with what I heard and posted here a few months back that we have had an exceptional amount of scout presence overseas watching Spanish basketball. That post is somewhere here but I essentially said they were really into somebody but I'm not sure if it's Mario or Porzingis.

Honestly, we are in a great spot at 5. I know that sounds weird, but we can take a slight gamble on either one of those guys at 5 and it's not a huge deal as opposed to picking at 3 and passing on an Okafor or Mudiay.

The Mario/Klay Thompson comparison is very legit IMO. His shooting technique is already elite, he has the talent to play defense at a high level and his ball handling and creativity off the dribble is better than anyone we have outside of Payton.

He can develop at SF and also play SG as well. We can rest Payton and run big with Oladipo/Mario/Gordon/Frye/Dedmon now and then as well.

Lots of flexibility there.

My personal Magic big board now that we are at 5 is pretty simple :

1. Mario

2. Porzingis

3. Winslow

4. Johnson

5. WCS

6. Oubre

Let me add that the Magic will be active in free agency this summer. I believe if they get Mario they will be able to focus on upgrading the front court exclusively. They will also sign a backup PG as well.

Hennigan has the mock draft experts totally confused. After his Gordon over Exum pick last year they can't figure him out.

The top four seem pretty set but I have seen us mocked as taking Hezonja, Porzingas, or Winslow.

You could probably add Stanley Johnson and Myles Turner to the mix as well. Hennigan has shown he is not scared to draft someone based on workouts and interviews even if others consider it a reach.

My top 5 is below

1-Winslow

2-Hezonja

3-Johnson

4-Porzingas

5-Turner

PF is a big need but I think Gordon and Frye can hold down those minutes if we can find a better fit at SF. Also think Tobes is better as a 6th man scorer off the bench if we decide to match any offer he gets.

CT you are definitely correct. This only sits alongside with what I heard and posted here a few months back that we have had an exceptional amount of scout presence overseas watching Spanish basketball. That post is somewhere here but I essentially said they were really into somebody but I'm not sure if it's Mario or Porzingis.

Honestly, we are in a great spot at 5. I know that sounds weird, but we can take a slight gamble on either one of those guys at 5 and it's not a huge deal as opposed to picking at 3 and passing on an Okafor or Mudiay.

The Mario/Klay Thompson comparison is very legit IMO. His shooting technique is already elite, he has the talent to play defense at a high level and his ball handling and creativity off the dribble is better than anyone we have outside of Payton.

He can develop at SF and also play SG as well. We can rest Payton and run big with Oladipo/Mario/Gordon/Frye/Dedmon now and then as well.

Lots of flexibility there.

My personal Magic big board now that we are at 5 is pretty simple :

1. Mario

2. Porzingis

3. Winslow

4. Johnson

5. WCS

6. Oubre

Let me add that the Magic will be active in free agency this summer. I believe if they get Mario they will be able to focus on upgrading the front court exclusively. They will also sign a backup PG as well.

That's probably my big board too. 1-3 I'd be incredibly happy, 4-6 I could get on board pretty quickly.

I'm still under the impression that a defensive big is more important than an offensive wing but it seems like I'm alone in that thought.

Since we saw the Mario highlight video posted, it's only fair to see the others as well.

Mario Hezonja Link

Willie Cauley-Stein Link

Justice Winslow Link

Kristaps Porzingis Link

I think if you're going to draft a big, you have to get WCS. Porzingis is practically another version of Vuc.

Winslow/Hezonja/WCS would be my order if we are going to draft a wing and WCS would jump to the front of that list if we decide to go with a defensive big.

The Hennigan character thing is way overblown I think. I'm just going off memory here, but who could we reasonably have picked in the past three drafts who had character concerns? It's easy to say we only draft high character guys but I don't recall any players with purported issues that were even in the picture at our draft positions