Sign in to follow this  
Jagsfreak27

Monkey See Monkey Do?

It's almost like you could make the argument that one of the 7 or 8 greatest players in the history of basketball was talented enough to play multiple positions at an elite level based on what was needed of him and the personnel that surrounded him.

But I guess that would be crazy talk.

• Upvote 1

I hope as a society we can all agree that enough of us know basketball that we can get rid of positions and the biases that come with them.

TimDuncanPF_zpsc474a408.jpg

DiawPF_zpsc2611a09.jpg

Congratulations. ESPN lists him as a PF. Same thing for Diaw. What happens when they play together? Are they both PF's? Is one of them playing the Center position? Can't be, ESPN has them both listed as PF, so they must be PF and can only be PF's.

Speaking of, since you want to go by ESPN listings for proof. ESPN listed the Spurs centers last season as Tiago Splitter and Jeff Ayres. That's it. But hey, plenty of minutes at the center position to go around. Fourty-eight per game, or 3936 for the regular season. Guess how many those two played combined? 2217.5. Leaving 1718.5, or 43.7% of the available minutes at center to be covered by someone else.

:panicworker:

OMG, but they don't have any other centers listed! I guess no one will cover the center for the other team, since the Spurs don't have anyone else to play those remaining minutes.

Or, you know, be more logical and judge based more on how those minutes are spent compared to the listing shown by ESPN or the NBA which might have as much to do with the old All-Star balloting system and keeping Duncan from being lumped into the group of Centers with Yao and Shaq, helping ensure he gets voted into the all-star game.

There are plenty of guys that are PF-C combos, play both roles. Which are they? Why insist on calling him a PF outside of the old all-star issue? If he plays both positions, is he not both?

I kept thinking about how we don't need Dwight, but then I got to watching a lot of old highlight videos from the 2009 Finals Team.

Dwight dominated both ends of the floor back then.

Watch the highlights and get good feels that maybe, just maybe, we could one day reconcile and bring back Dwight if he can learn to get out of his own way.

(
)

I miss the days when ESPN showed actual highlights and not 28 seconds of the game including plays that were pretty much irrelevant to the outcome.

DiawPF_zpsc2611a09.jpg

Congratulations. ESPN lists him as a PF. Same thing for Diaw. What happens when they play together? Are they both PF's? Is one of them playing the Center position? Can't be, ESPN has them both listed as PF, so they must be PF and can only be PF's.

Speaking of, since you want to go by ESPN listings for proof. ESPN listed the Spurs centers last season as Tiago Splitter and Jeff Ayres. That's it. But hey, plenty of minutes at the center position to go around. Fourty-eight per game, or 3936 for the regular season. Guess how many those two played combined? 2217.5. Leaving 1718.5, or 43.7% of the available minutes at center to be covered by someone else.

smile_panicworker.gif

OMG, but they don't have any other centers listed! I guess no one will cover the center for the other team, since the Spurs don't have anyone else to play those remaining minutes.

Or, you know, be more logical and judge based more on how those minutes are spent compared to the listing shown by ESPN or the NBA which might have as much to do with the old All-Star balloting system and keeping Duncan from being lumped into the group of Centers with Yao and Shaq, helping ensure he gets voted into the all-star game.

There are plenty of guys that are PF-C combos, play both roles. Which are they? Why insist on calling him a PF outside of the old all-star issue? If he plays both positions, is he not both?

You act like im the one who defines what position a player is listed at. I dont. If you have a problem with that, then create a petition to get it changed.

If the NBA salary was position based like the NFL, then we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Side Note: so Captain... On the Saints TE thing, you would pay Jimmy WR money then? You know since your logical and judge based on how a players minutes are used.

You act like im the one who defines what position a player is listed at. I dont. If you have a problem with that, then create a petition to get it changed.

The point is, no one who knows anything at all is concerned with what ESPN lists him as.

The point is, no one who knows anything at all is concerned with what ESPN lists him as.

Actually the real point was that you don't need a great or even a good center in today's NBA to win a Championship and that having Dwight to come back is pointless.

But as usual, people nit pick and find something to debate about for the sake of debating. I ignore most except for Echo4pappa, I find his logic amusing.

If the NBA salary was position based like the NFL, then we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Side Note: so Captain... On the Saints TE thing, you would pay Jimmy WR money then? You know since your logical and judge based on how a players minutes are used.

No, you're the one defining a player based on arbitrary criteria instead of what they actually do in game. You offered a picture demonstrating that Duncan was listed as a PF to, I don't know, support your position? This after claiming you watch more basketball than most people here. It's a label, and a pretty poor one at that especially when applied to guys like Duncan who play multiple positions. To definitively apply one label to him over the other is simply ridiculous at this point.

Until, that is, you want to support a position like yours, that you don't need a great, or even good center to win a title. Of course, then you HAVE to lock Duncan into the PF label or you look like an idiot by making that point so soon after the Spurs win yet another title.

NBA salary isn't position based, so what we may or may not be discussing if it were is inconsequential.

I couldn't care less about NFL salaries, so if you want to talk NFL, I'd suggest looking in the off-topic section, or an NFL forum. I did notice, however, that you glossed over the whole aspect of Duncan being pushed into the PF label instead of the Center label because of the all-star voting process.

I would say Duncan takes on the responsibilities of a Center. So Splitter is on the court as well? Then they have two centers playing, exactly like when we had Howard and Gortat playing together that was two centers playing center.