Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Moving ahead, Gordon will be a "3" (SF)

Fair enough, though I'd just stick to quoting media-types. And for the record, I've struggled with the Gordon and Frye signings, too. However, I haven't gone catastrophic like certain others at TBN. I'm still hopeful, yet I recognize Henny is a bit of Billy Beane-like wild man. Go Magic!

Soul, I wanna get your reaction to the Lowe thing...I know you love his stuff...Let me know.

Fair enough, though I'd recommend just quoting media-types. And for the record, I've struggled with the Gordon and Frye signings, too. However, I haven't gone catastrophic like certain others at TBN. I'm still hopeful, yet I recognize Henny is a bit of Billy Beane-like wild man. Go Magic!

Billy Beane is a good example no one ever has a clue what he is doing but he makes it work in a small market.

Just look at the Dwight trade and how the media thought teams were taking candy from the newby GM. Now those same media types are praising him since Philly, Denver and the Lakers pretty much came away with nothing.

With Gordon, he certainly can guard the 3 so I have no problem in that respect. How he plays on offense is yet to be determined as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Summer League can be an accurate representation of how the Magic want Gordon to play.

I agree with some people that I don't want him camped out on the 3 point line consistently. If he's wide open for 3 I'll have no problem with him taking the shot but ideally I'd hope the Magic look to find creative ways to include him in the offense. He's obviously going to score most of his points on cuts to the hoop, in transition and on putbacks at this point but I would like to see him spend time as the roll man in pick and roll and catching the ball around the elbow where he'll have room to read the defense and make the pass or attack off the bounce. I don't think he has the ability to consistently get by his man in an isolation from the perimeter yet.

Let's not forget he's only 18 right now. How or where he plays his first year in the league may have little effect on where/how he'll spend the other 15 years of his career.

Well, at least the defense will be very good with Payton/Oladipo/Gordon guarding 1-3.

That's an understatement. Best in the league baby!

That's an understatement. Best in the league baby!

We'll see. Magic have been young and athletic for the past two years and it hasn't translated into great (or even good) defense.

With Gordon, he certainly can guard the 3 so I have no problem in that respect. How he plays on offense is yet to be determined as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Summer League can be an accurate representation of how the Magic want Gordon to play.

I agree with some people that I don't want him camped out on the 3 point line consistently. If he's wide open for 3 I'll have no problem with him taking the shot but ideally I'd hope the Magic look to find creative ways to include him in the offense. He's obviously going to score most of his points on cuts to the hoop, in transition and on putbacks at this point but I would like to see him spend time as the roll man in pick and roll and catching the ball around the elbow where he'll have room to read the defense and make the pass or attack off the bounce. I don't think he has the ability to consistently get by his man in an isolation from the perimeter yet.

Let's not forget he's only 18 right now. How or where he plays his first year in the league may have little effect on where/how he'll spend the other 15 years of his career.

I reckon him being the 'roll' with payton/oladipo/others would work well. Having Frye camping on the 3pt line, vucevic at the high post or low post depending where the pick and roll is initiated, and allowing Gordon to set the pick and roll towards the open basket allows us to have players ready to be all involved in an effective offensive set.

We'll see. Magic have been young and athletic for the past two years and it hasn't translated into great (or even good) defense.

Did you forget about our old but cherished Mighty Mouse?

I don't think anyone disagrees that Gordon and Frye were questionable moves.

Personally, I look at Hennigan's track record with the team and the fact that literally every move he has made since becoming Magic GM has been heavily scrutinized then proven good for the team and take that to mean maybe we can trust his judgment in these things.

Until his moves are proven failures, I won't call him one. So far, he's proven all of his critics wrong about each move he's made. Because of that, I'm going to wait and see how things turn out with the current crop of moves.

I have my doubts, for sure, but nothing he's done looks like it will have long term negative effects even if they don't work out in the short term.

Very well said. Agreed.

As you know, I'm all for a respectful forum to share one's opinions.

EDIT: And to the future of the Magic, as you know, I'm hopeful… But it's okay for others not to be.

Thank you for your leadership here....Much appreciation.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Gordon and Frye were questionable moves.

Personally, I look at Hennigan's track record with the team and the fact that literally every move he has made since becoming Magic GM has been heavily scrutinized then proven good for the team and take that to mean maybe we can trust his judgment in these things.

Until his moves are proven failures, I won't call him one. So far, he's proven all of his critics wrong about each move he's made. Because of that, I'm going to wait and see how things turn out with the current crop of moves.

I have my doubts, for sure, but nothing he's done looks like it will have long term negative effects even if they don't work out in the short term.

Nailed it! I agree completely, each of my initial responses to all his moves have been "wtf" but all have actually come off so far. I guess that is why he is GM and we are not. I am very much willing to give Frye and Gordon signing at least half a season to see how it works before judgement is cast. With the Gordon drafting I think a few years can be given as he is only 18 and considered a raw player. That is why I keep saying it is silly and illogical to say Henny is failing so early into a decision. The fact is that he has made decisions which seem unlikely to be good ones by most people (near all people) and the success of these decisions (Howard trade, Harris trade, etc.) have caught us by surprise, this is what makes me think that Henny knows what he is doing and is a good GM, he sees what others do not and he calculates his decisions well. Sure he might stuff one up sooner than later, but don't most GM's? (Lets just hope it is a small signing (ie. Ben Gordon) and not a large one (Frye and A. Gordon)).

At the end of the day at least we don't have a GM that is scared of making moves! That is a recipe for failure.

Considering we only won 23 games last year, our defense was pretty decent. The offense on the other hand....