Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

Again, this is feeling very Spurs-like. When was the last time you heard about the Spurs making a big move in the off-season? They really don't - no one talks about them. Even this summer, after they won the championship, I guarantee ESPN will be focusing on Cleveland with LeBron, Houston with Bosh, how LA will rebuild, etc, etc. The Spurs are not a sexy team.

I think we're trying to follow that model: just have a very solid team, top to bottom, with few glaring weaknesses; have teammates who put team first; character guys that don't blow up team chemistry or cause off-court issues.

Bosh resigned with Heat. But I see your point, though I disagree a little, I think the Spurs have created a sexy image for themselves with their class ball moving... it is something else!

Again, this is feeling very Spurs-like. When was the last time you heard about the Spurs making a big move in the off-season? They really don't - no one talks about them. Even this summer, after they won the championship, I guarantee ESPN will be focusing on Cleveland with LeBron, Houston with Bosh, how LA will rebuild, etc, etc. The Spurs are not a sexy team.

I think we're trying to follow that model: just have a very solid team, top to bottom, with few glaring weaknesses; have teammates who put team first; character guys that don't blow up team chemistry or cause off-court issues.

I agree. It's actually really sad that ESPN doesn't talk about teams like the Spurs. Really, it's because they're a bunch of low-key guys and the team, as you pointed out, doesn't make "big splashes" in the off season. They just build from within and sign bargain guys who will be used to their max potential.

It does take having a few great players, but I do believe that we're taking the exact blue print that the Spurs have.

I think the Thunder would have the same exact model if it wasn't for the fact that they have the best scorer in the league (and thus get the media attention). When you play total team ball, that's where things change from a national marketability stand-point. Will that be us with Victor or someone? I assume we will never have a guy on this team who will average 25 PPG. I DO expect Vuc and Vic to average 20 PPG THIS SEASON though.

I DO expect Vuc and Vic to average 20 PPG THIS SEASON though.

Dear God, I hope so. I see it possible with Vic. I'm not so sure about Vuc. What makes you think he can be that type of scorer?

Oladipo could average 16-18 and Vuc around 14.

That's my prediction.

Oladipo optimally should be giving us 18-22 a game once Payton takes over as the starting PG and has a firm grasp on the NBA game.

Oladipo could average 16-18 and Vuc around 14.

That's my prediction.

Oladipo optimally should be giving us 18-22 a game once Payton takes over as the starting PG and has a firm grasp on the NBA game.

You might be selling Vuc a little bit short - he was averaging 15.8 ppg the last couple of months of the season, prior to injury. With another summer under his belt, Frye helping open up the middle, and Payton/Oladipo upping the tempo, I don't think 17-18 ppg is out of Vuc's reach. I don't think the Vic/Vuc combo will average 40 ppg, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them average 35-36.

I'm in the 15-20 for Vic, 10-15 for Vuc camp, myself.

I could see Vic turning into Hamilton-style "scorer," whose best season was 20ppg, but I think his focus will always be more defense and slashing than scoring.

I think Vuc puts up 14.7 and Vic puts up 16.8. I don't know why I came up with such specific numbers, but doesn't that just seem about right?

"In his second season, oladipo has increased his scoring about 4 points. He's now averaging 16.8 ppg."

Also, you know who should have had a better career? Nenad Krstic.

I think Vuc puts up 14.7 and Vic puts up 16.8. I don't know why I came up with such specific numbers, but doesn't that just seem about right?

"In his second season, oladipo has increased his scoring about 4 points. He's now averaging 16.8 ppg."

Also, you know who should have had a better career? Nenad Krstic.

I see Dipo exploding for 18-21ppg. Somebody has to score.

I see Dipo exploding for 18-21ppg. Somebody has to score.

He's definitely shown flashes of being able to be a scorer. If nothing else this team should be fun to watch on fast breaks.