CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

JUNKIE -- but I thought you wanted to Magic to be GOOD this season? Drafting a project like EXUM now most certainly doesn't get us closer to being season ready to compete. Like or hate Oladipo, Oladipo is already proven to be a leader, durable during an NBA season, and has "champion" written all over him. Nerlens Noel has yet to prove himself durable for an entire NBA season and you are ready to call him better than Oladipo already.

Again, in some posts you claim you want the Magic to win now and don't trust management's decision. Yet having chosen more NBA ready players in Payton and, yes, Gordon, whose body and athleticism/conditioning is more NBA ready (clearly better now than Exum) and a more ready star to be in Oladipo (over unproven and possibly injury prone Noel), you still question management. Management can't seem to win either way. Why is that?

Exum is very similar to Durant aside from the fact that Durant is 6'11"+ and can shoot the lights out while Exum is 6'5" and can't shoot at all. Oh and they play different positions. It's literally the worst comparison I've ever seen, which goes to show that just because someone writes it does not make it so. Thanks for sharing that Junkie, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Junkie wants nothing to do with Exum, magic don't draft Exum, junkie then loves Exum. It's at the point now where I hope everybody we draft from now on is a Kentucky player so that we don't have to put up with this every year.

• Upvote 1

Junkie wants nothing to do with Exum, magic don't draft Exum, junkie then loves Exum. It's at the point now where I hope everybody we draft from now on is a Kentucky player so that we don't have to put up with this every year.

And yet here he is again, bringing up Exum even after a disappointing summer league performance. Now mind you, I don't place much credence to summer league performances; however, it's telling that he selectively uses summer league performances for his own benefit -- just read the stuff he said about Aaron Gordon.

And now he is talking about the summer league performance of the guy that ended up going to #5 because he was a big man with major injuries and couldn't even play the first year -- and about how Rob failed to get him.

Sheesh.

I should ban you for even joking about this.

JUNKIE -- but I thought you wanted to Magic to be GOOD this season? Drafting a project like EXUM now most certainly doesn't get us closer to being season ready to compete. Like or hate Oladipo, Oladipo is already proven to be a leader, durable during an NBA season, and has "champion" written all over him. Nerlens Noel has yet to prove himself durable for an entire NBA season and you are ready to call him better than Oladipo already.

Again, in some posts you claim you want the Magic to win now and don't trust management's decision. Yet having chosen more NBA ready players in Payton and, yes, Gordon, whose body and athleticism/conditioning is more NBA ready (clearly better now than Exum) and a more ready star to be in Oladipo (over unproven and possibly injury prone Noel), you still question management. Management can't seem to win either way. Why is that?

What would you call someone who both complains that the team needs to win now, and then somewhere else complains that we made a mistake in not taking a project player that will need a few years to develop? I'm certain there's a word for people like that.

If that makes me a troll, well.........

Well, that was a solid guess. Not quite the word I was looking for, but it fits well enough that I'll give you a "B", but no "A" and no gold star for you today.

• Upvote 1

This is from David Thorpe....It was his 5 biggest, must-see draws of the summer...Dante Exum.

Now, for those of you that were posting you didn't see his quickness or first step Mr. Thorpe(and me) would disagree with you.....I know Soul Bro quotes David Thorpe often and thinks highly of his down-to-earth writing style.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11262752/andrew-wiggins-best-rookies-las-vegas-summer-league-nba

Let me paraphrase that Thorpe Exum article in how I see it:

* Dante Exum was not even good in summer league play, which he should be.

* Dante Exum rarely did anything good with the ball in his hands.

* Dante Exum is not a good defensive player, and only has a chance to be if he has a superb defensive coach who can lay into him about defense over a long period of time.

* Dante Exum is a bad perimeter shooter, who will take a lot of time to develop even a satisfactory shot.

* Dante Exum plays to laid back and does not show any urgency.

* He has shown he does not have the ability to attack and it could take some years before he does.

* He has size and quickness advantages just like Kevin Durant.... or more so like John Henson, Corey Brewer, Alex Shved and Elfrid Payton.

You just got Junkie'd

David Thorpe on Nerlens Noel....

I was riding by the Amway Center when the Magic selected 2nd last summer....Returning home from track practice with both my boys...We were so excited when the Cavs selected Anthony Bennett first....We were screaming in my car, "The Magic are gonna get Noel" !!!

No disrespect to Olidipo here.

If that makes me a troll, well.........

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11262752/andrew-wiggins-best-rookies-las-vegas-summer-league-nba

no just an idiot

there is no way you can argue the magic didn't make the best possible pick

victor was a great pick in a bad draft. we should be happy we got him. noel does look good but he is and was a risk. there can be more than one good player in a draft. Now lets see what gordon and payton can do.

Exum is not going to be a PG. Mark that down. He is a SG and could very well be a star SG, but to be honest it will be 3 years from now before we will know. In fact Exum is currently just as much of a tweener as Gordon is.

Nerlens Noel is very good on defense but he can't shoot very well and his offense is bad outside of some nice dunks.

A lot like Aaron Gordon. A guy who can defend all 5 positions and is just as good at defense. He also has far more athleticism and the potential to be a star player for the Magic.

I find it hilarious that Junkie is so ignorant about the sport that he can't see the irony of getting excited over those two players and not Gordon.

All 3 of these guys has star potential and we have one of them. So lets enjoy it. Or we could be old men whining like little immature babies I guess.

This is from David Thorpe....It was his 5 biggest, must-see draws of the summer...Dante Exum.

Now, for those of you that were posting you didn't see his quickness or first step Mr. Thorpe(and me) would disagree with you.....I know Soul Bro quotes David Thorpe often and thinks highly of his down-to-earth writing style.

Do you suffer from short term memory loss? That's the only explanation that I can come up with for how you have forgotten that you spend the last two months posting every article clipping that you could find that suggested the Exum would not be a good fit for the Magic. It was literally every day that you were saying that no one knew anything about Exum. How he didn't play against top flight competition in Australia. How his poor shooting would not be a good fit with Oladipo. All of these things are statements that you made less than a month ago. Now you are posting articles from David Thorpe in a way to suggest that passing on Exum is likely going to be yet another Hennigan mistake, despite the fact that the only new information that we have to go on since a month ago is some pretty poor summer league showings. So, seriously, did you bump your head as a child?

Also, Catman just mentioned this and I'm kind of surprised that I didn't think of it myself. Gordon and Noel are both super young players that are VERY raw offensively and very talented defensively. The only differences that I can see is that one of them doesn't have a history of injury problems and didn't play at the University of Kentucky.