Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Affalo Trade Grade from ESPN....

If there's one thing I love its grading a basketball decision before a single game has been played. Hell, we haven't even seen what Hennigan does with the cap space he just freed up. It doesn't matter; HE GETS A C!

Very interesting article! I can see Henny likeing the kid Fournier enough to settle for him and a 57th pick rather than wait to collect either a bad contract comming back or another rookie, which we do have plenty of! Well, its a lot like making soup......close your eyes and hope that it taste great going down. You can see a clear plan here!

Now lets wait for the soup!!

Henny putting his eggs in the basket of a guy that is projected to be barely above replacement level next year...And Lowe said he could have had a 1st for Aafalo.

Time will tell....

I would like to see the Magic do something with this cap space; Durant isn't coming here, and that's too far away anyway. We are still missing that star talent.

Henny putting his eggs in the basket of a guy that is projected to be barely above replacement level next year...And Lowe said he could have had a 1st for Aafalo.

Time will tell....

A first with bad contracts back in return - read closer.

I would like to see the Magic do something with this cap space; Durant isn't coming here, and that's too far away anyway. We are still missing that star talent.

There's no "star" coming out until then.

A first with bad contracts back in return - read closer.

I was gonna say my bad but a little later in the article it said this...

The Magic went through this two seasons ago, when they couldn’t find a first-rounder for J.J. Redick’s expiring contract. A first-rounder for Afflalo would have been a clear win.

That said, they could have gotten that win, and opted against it. This is a bet on Fournier. Let’s see how it works.

If I'm missing something here someone please correct me....

I think the fact that they would've been first round picks makes the situation a little deceiving. Where in the draft would we have been picking? Most of the teams that wanted AA were playoff teams or borderline playoff teams, so would we have picked someone in that range who helps more than Fournier? I have no idea, but Rob didn't think so. We also maintained financial flexibility by not taking bad contracts. If we trade Redick for a first late in last years draft, who would you even want? Unless you like Tony Snell or Hardaway Jr that much more than Harris, I don't see how getting a first in that draft would've been a plus either.

I was gonna say my bad but a little later in the article it said this...

The Magic went through this two seasons ago, when they couldn’t find a first-rounder for J.J. Redick’s expiring contract. A first-rounder for Afflalo would have been a clear win.

That said, they could have gotten that win, and opted against it. This is a bet on Fournier. Let’s see how it works.

Yes you are missing that we probably had junk coming back with that first round pick. It wasn't going to happen straight up. Denver had a TPE, so it could.

Still don't like the trade, but it's still better than trading away the Suns draft pick (Amar'e Stoudemire) to get Jud Buechler (as happenend in '01) or the Warriors draft pick (Vince Carter) to get Keon Clark ('94)

Still don't like the trade, but it's still better than trading away the Suns draft pick (Amar'e Stoudemire) to get Jud Buechler (as happenend in '01) or the Warriors draft pick (Vince Carter) to get Keon Clark ('94)

Still not one minute has been played.