Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN Chats Thread

This thread has gotten off track from ESPN Chat questions.

Please use the main Draft thread for other items.

Kevin Pelton says Exum has more talent....and that very well may be....He is a high risk - high reward type of draft selection....It's a risk that I'm not sure the Magic can afford to make because of all the reasons that have been typed over and over already.

As far as who or whom the Magic should draft, not sure yet....Maybe a trade up or down and fill holes in the roster that way....Maybe pick up someone via free agency.

Anyway, I'm officially off the Exum wagon never to return....Unless I have to because Henny drafts him, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kevin Pelton says Exum has more talent....and that very well may be....He is a high risk - high reward type of draft selection....It's a risk that I'm not sure the Magic can afford to make because of all the reasons that have been typed over and over already.

As far as who or whom the Magic should draft, not sure yet....Maybe a trade up or down and fill holes in the roster that way....Maybe pick up someone via free agency.

Anyway, I'm officially off the Exum wagon never to return....Unless I have to because Henny drafts him, lol.

What caused your latest and completely unexpected (sarcasm) change of heart?

It's funny how he is all about Kevin Pelton's opinion until the man says something that BJ doesn't agree with.

It's funny how he is all about Kevin Pelton's opinion until the man says something that BJ doesn't agree with.

I think people either mis-read or misunderstood what Pelton said....He said he still likes the 'fit' of other players but that Exum is a better talent therefore he would draft him first.....Just to many "if's" to draft him, imo....Can he improve his shooting ???...Will Olidipo improve his shooting so they can play together ???....Was the level of competition he has been playing against given everyone a false impression ??? ....Is he a PG or a SG ???

He is a bigger risk than other more NBA ready players in this draft....Exum is a project....a really young one at that....If he reaches the potential everyone thinks he has and devlop his game in sync with Olidipo then it will be special....If he doesn't it will be disastrous for the franchise....Which brings us to another point....The Magic have sucked the last 2 years and attendance is plummeting.

If they draft Exum the losing will not stop for a few more years.....Things Rob has to think about among others.

It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take....Not with such a small, sample size on Exum.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Junkie, just curious, who do you want to draft at 4?

Maybe try and trade up to get one of the big 3 ???....As much as people want to put Exum in the top tier of this draft, he's not....Heck, Vonleh got votes for the top tier also and he actually is a better fit.

Maybe try to trade down and get 3 1st rounders and fill more holes on this team ???

Rob's gonna be squarely in the hot seat in a little over a week from now.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ball junkie is right about the attendance though as it saddens me Everytime I watch a game. The support level is getting lower and lower.

Although the 4 crown royal chairs court side adds a good incentive

Maybe try and trade up to get one of the big 3 ???....As much as people want to put Exum in the top tier of this draft, he's not....Heck, Vonleh got votes for the top tier also and he actually is a better fit.

Maybe try to trade down and get 3 1st rounders and fill more holes on this team ???

the top 3 have just as much risk as Exum, so why use vital assets (can't move into top 3 without possibly giving up one of VO, TH, NV & future pick(s)) to move up for the same gamble? Think Parker is more NBA ready? Weren't they saying the same thing about Otto Porter last year? Look how he turned out his first year. There's no sure thing in the draft; it's a crap shoot. We just gotta trust Rob & Co. have done the necessary research to pick the right player.

I get because Pelton said Vonleh is the best fit, you want to draft him, but he's also probably the biggest project in the top 8. We also aren't in the position to draft for fit; that's for winning teams picking near the 20s that need to fill holes on their winning rosters. We're a high lotto team with many holes and in need of pure TALENT. That's why you always take best player available, and why Pelton noted that Exum was the better talent and the guy Orlando should pick.

the top 3 have just as much risk as Exum, so why use vital assets (can't move into top 3 without possibly giving up one of VO, TH, NV & future pick(s)) to move up for the same gamble? Think Parker is more NBA ready? Weren't they saying the same thing about Otto Porter last year? Look how he turned out his first year. There's no sure thing in the draft; it's a crap shoot. We just gotta trust Rob & Co. have done the necessary research to pick the right player.

I get because Pelton said Vonleh is the best fit, you want to draft him, but he's also probably the biggest project in the top 8. We also aren't in the position to draft for fit; that's for winning teams picking near the 20s that need to fill holes on their winning rosters. We're a high lotto team with many holes and in need of pure TALENT. That's why you always take best player available, and why Pelton noted that Exum was the better talent and the guy Orlando should pick.

Junkie has no idea if Exum is or is not a top tier player in this draft. That will be determined by the Magic today.

I do agree that they will pass on him if they think he is too much of a project. The Magic want to win now, and by adding Marcus Smart that would make more sense.

If the Magic got Vonleh (I don't see it happening), it would be only because they believe he is an absolute star and will develop into a role a lot faster than projected. Lots of Ifs there, which is why I don't see it.

The workout today narrows things down if Exum does not outperform Smart. If that happens, I think we are looking at Parker at 4 if he is there. If not, it will be Smart.

No matter what happens today. I firmly expect the Magic to leak a few raves about Exum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1