Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN Chats Thread

Figured we could use the knowledge of an expert to help us in discerning who or whom Rob should target with #4 and #12.

Mr. Pelton is awesome....I kid you not...I submitted a question last week about Vonleh and his chat was just about over and he still answered it....His chat last week lasted over two hours...I swear he tried to answer just about every question.

Won't take a second....Just click the link and submit a question or two and I bet he'll answer it.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50723/nba-insider-kevin-pelton

Chat is at 3:00

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Figured we could use the knowledge of an expert to help us in discerning who or whom Rob should target with #4 and #12.

Mr. Pelton is awesome....I kid you not...I submitted a question last week about Vonleh and his chat was just about over and he still answered it....His chat last week lasted over two hours...I swear he tried to answer just about every question.

Won't take a second....Just click the link and submit a question or two and I bet he'll answer it.

http://espn.go.com/s...er-kevin-pelton

Chat is at 3:00

Cool, I just submitted a couple.

Rance Poppenphaus (Orlando, FL)

Hi Kevin. Curious on your thoughts on the better fit for Orlando at pick 4 - Marcus Smart or Dante Exum?

Kevin Pelton (3:20 PM)

At this point I lean slightly toward Exum because I think he has greater potential to be a transcendent talent. But I don't think Orlando can go wrong either way.

Alan (Falls Church)

You seem less enamored of this draft class than Chad Ford is, but most seem to think it's a deep draft. What positions do you think look strong? And where will teams find better players than normal? Top 4? 5-14? 15-30? 2nd round? Thanks.

Kevin Pelton (3:23 PM)

I like the 4-10 range the most. That could include Exum, Vonleh and Smart, all guys I like about as much as the top three prospects. And following that, I think PG and PF are the strongest positions, especially if you consider Jabari Parker a PF as I do.

Got my question answered again...And I just submitted it:

Jim (Orlando)

Do you really think Hennigan would take Smart over Exum ???...As a GM based on the little you know about Dante Exum and the fact that your job could be riding on the success of your pick would that give you any reservations about selecting him ???

Kevin Pelton (4:49 PM)

I have no idea what they'll actually do, but I don't think you can succeed as an NBA GM if you're afraid of failing. You pick the best player. A case can be made for either guy -- Smart does rate better by my numbers, but I think Exum would have a better rating if we had two full years of college data for him, so that's why I lean Exum.

I guess he just like me, lol.....

Jim (Orlando)

Which PF would you pick 1st in this draft Gordon, Vonleh or Randle ???...Which one projects to be the most productive in the NBA ???

Kevin Pelton (5:06 PM)

Vonleh >> Gordon > Randle

Jim (Orlando)

If you're Orlando does the new hot prospect Porzingis make sense at #12 ???

Kevin Pelton (5:11 PM)

Magic already have a young tweener forward in Tobias Harris, so no, I don't see that as a great fit or great value

I have a hard time figuring out how anyone rates Gordon above Randle

Really? His athletic ceiling is much higher, and he can guard stretch 4s plus play some point forward. That is like asking you why you prefer Exum over Ennis.

Andrew Wiggins....Wow.

Kj (Kent Oh)

I had no opinion on any of the Top 3 coming into this draft but after watching film and doing some research how is it Wiggins is considered worthy of this hype? His adv numbers range from meh to terrible. He got basically dominated in 3 games by Smart, who is 5 inches shorter! He is terrible in ISO's, has no handle and negates much of his vaunted athleticism by not playing to his strengths. Add to that his questionable demeanor, well, you get the picture. How is he not a bust in the NBA??

Kevin Pelton (3:22 PM)

Well, you haven't said a single word about defense. It's hard for me to imagine that someone as good defensively as Wiggins could truly be a bust. Even if he couldn't score at all, he'd still be Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who's started for a playoff team. And Wiggins will be a better shooter than Kidd-Gilchrist, so that's worse than a worst-case scenario. Wiggins may well be a disappointment if the fans of whatever team draft him expect a high-scoring superstar. But not a bust.

Kj (Kent Oh)

If Wiggins floor is slightly better MKG, well, I guess you and I have different definitions of "busts." NO team drafts in the Top 2 for a "defensive stopper."

Kevin Pelton (4:34 PM)

Hence disappointment. But I can't call that a bust when guys like Michael Beasley, Derrick Williams and Hasheem Thabeet haven't come close to providing that kind of value as a No. 2 pick.

Matt (Florida)

If the Magic choose Smart over Exum, is there any chance he falls to the Lakers?

Kevin Pelton (4:41 PM)

It's not inconceivable, since neither Utah nor Boston *needs* a point guard. They still might pick Exum if they view him as the best player available, but it is a realistic scenario at that point

See, this is why I'm closely monitoring whether Exum actually visits and works out for Rob and I think the fact that Smart has already been here twice is telling....I think Exum's agent is trying to steer him to L.A.....We'll see.

Andrew Wiggins....Wow.

See, this is why I'm closely monitoring whether Exum actually visits and works out for Rob and I think the fact that Smart has already been here twice is telling....I think Exum's agent is trying to steer him to L.A.....We'll see.

I'm pretty sure Exum is scheduled to visit Orlando, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to strategically make your client fall several spots down the draft board although I can see trying to avoid a particular city, like say Milwaukee for instance.