Sign in to follow this  
jmmagicfan

Kevin Love Sweepstakes

Kevin Love has officially told Minnesota he will not renew. Let the bidding begin, assuming that assurances are obtained that he would re-sign.

Aaron Afflalo

Jason Maxiel

#12 this year

next year's 1st round (top 3 protected)

Gives Minny a borderline all-star, a lottery pick this year, a late first rounder next and potential cap relief (Maxiel released prior to 7/25?) - corrrection 7/13 on Maxiel

Enough? Too much? Not enough?

Kevin Love is an elite player. He is the type of guy that could arguably step into this team and make us a borderline play off team next season. So if Love signs a long term extension, I don't think the price you mention is too much. Obviously we would be giving up the #12 pick in this year's draft, but the second first round pick could potentially be outside the lottery if we make the play offs. Afflalo is a talented player, but one would assume that this team is looking at Oladipo as its future SG, and Maxiel is a veteran with an expiring contract. So I wouldn't be against giving that up as long as Love signs a long term deal. After all, the line up could be something like:

PG: Exum

SG: Oladipo

SF: Harkless or Harris

PF: Love

C: Vuc

I like the look of that line up. It is young, and very talented. We could potentially find ourselves as the 7th or 8th seed in next season, and with further strengthening and play development, that team could contend if all the players develop to their ceiling.

That being said, I don't see us being in the Kevin love sweepstakes.

Local media here is of the opinion of "Love is a great talent, no doubt, but he doesn't really make the players around him better like a Lebron or a Durant" They'd love it if he stays, but understands why he'd want to leave and they're okay with it.

Max deal for a non max player...Have we learned nothing from the Shard deal?

Yeah that if we get Love we should turn him into just a spot up shooter on max money.