Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

I don't think we waste money on 2nd/3rd tier FA's this summer (yes I realize LeBron is a FA, but lets be real) at the expense of having money to spend next summer.

that is what i said. I dont think we spend money.

that is what i said. I dont think we spend money.

Yeah you mentioned because of Vuc and Harris' contracts coming up. We also will be looking to add a major FA in 2015 was my point, aside from just resigning those two. At least I've always assumed that was the plan.

Free Agents we might want to pursue this summer

Luol Deng - even if we take Wiggins or Parker, this takes pressure off the first couple years; and gives them someone to practice/compete for time with that will shorten their learning curve and make them better players in the long run.

Kyle Lowry - if we don't get Exum or Smart, this might be an option. He probably will command more $ than we are willing to pay.

Darren Collison - again, if we don't get Exum or Smart.

Marcin Gortat - if we don't get Embiid, this might make sense. Start Vuc at the PF, Gortat at the C, and have O'Quinn/Dedmon off the bench.

Emeka Okafur - if we don't get a PF/C in the draft, we could sign Okafur as our third big.

Luol Deng - even if we take Wiggins or Parker, this takes pressure off the first couple years; and gives them someone to practice/compete for time with that will shorten their learning curve and make them better players in the long run.

Kyle Lowry - if we don't get Exum or Smart, this might be an option. He probably will command more $ than we are willing to pay.

Marcin Gortat - if we don't get Embiid, this might make sense. Start Vuc at the PF, Gortat at the C, and have O'Quinn/Dedmon off the bench.

Emeka Okafur - if we don't get a PF/C in the draft, we could sign Okafur as our third big.

Luol Deng and Kyle Lowry will take where there is money. Gortat, Collison, and Okafur I see all desiring to be on a championship contender, meaning the Magic are out of the running, unless the pay for these are ridiuculously higher for the non-championship contender. I see Gortat staying in WAS, Collison staying in LA, and Okafur going to somewhere like the Miami Heat.

Gortat is the only one worth spending money on this summer in my opinion. He fills a need as a quality big who can protect the rim and play big minutes.

Okafor spends way too much time hurt....he needs to come off the bench for a contender to limit his minutes.

I'd take a look at Ed Davis too. Nice shot blocker off the bench

Lance Stephenson is a pretty selfish player. I don't think he fits the culture of our team at all.

I'd take a look at Ed Davis too. Nice shot blocker off the bench

Except Ed Davis is restricted.

Deng's probably an upper-mid free agent - Chicago had a hard time finding a trading partner, his numbers fell off slightly in Cleveland, and he is 29-30. I think he can be had for 4yr/$28-32M.

I do think Lowry will command more that Hennigan would be willing to pay. I am also not convinced by one break-out year.

Darren Collison has a player option, but if he opts out, I am convinced that the LA Clippers can not keep him; he only makes $1.9M right now, and they are already over the luxury tax line. I think the odds are good that he opts out. I think he can probably be had in the 4yr/$12-16M range.

Gortat is now 30, has had ups and downs in Phoenix and Washington. He loved playing in Orlando, but was vocal about having a chance to start. I think that having the chance to start, mentor some younger bigs, and return/retire in Orlando could all be positives to signing him. I think a 3yr/$21-24M range might bring him in.

Okafur was out injured all last season, so his physical condition definitely needs to be assessed. However, if he is healthy, I think he is worth looking at. The chance to start (not a promise!), a mentor to some younger bigs, enough young bigs to keep his minutes down, and a chance to retire at the end of a contract might persuade him. At 31, coming off an injury, his market value isn't going to be anywhere near the $14M he made last year. I am thinking 2yr/$10-12M might bring him in.

Fortunately, free agency starts after the draft, and before we have to make final decisions on some or our current roster. We should be able to bring in any one of these players and possibly two.

I don't want any of the players mentioned really and I doubt Rob does. He consistently talks about "not skipping steps" in the rebuilding process and signing a bunch of average to above average veterans is essentially skipping a lot of steps.

I don't want any of the players mentioned really and I doubt Rob does. He consistently talks about "not skipping steps" in the rebuilding process and signing a bunch of average to above average veterans is essentially skipping a lot of steps.

Right. Shift focus to bargain guys under 26. You want to pay a guy who can improve, not overpay for a guy past his prime based on what he's already done.