Sign in to follow this  
rdeezy

offseason plans

As the off-season approaches, I'm hearing more and more rumors of free agents or players who could opt out. The question is who could benifit the Magic mostly?

As the off-season approaches, I'm hearing more and more rumors of free agents or players who could opt out. The question is who could benifit the Magic mostly?

They would all benefit us I think..but I think most benefitial would be either Ray Allen or Vince Carter. But man..Kevin Garnett would be a sweet pickup regardless of whose on our team.

My off-season moves?....I think if they decide to retain Hill, I'll relocate and find another team to follow. Can they get any worse? Will a good playter save them next year?

Ok. Here's my take on our off-season plans. I posted this in the free agency thread. Before the market opens up, we need to clean house. First and foremost, get a new coach. Next, I know this is all easier said than done, but we need to find a way to get rid of the following players:

Carlos Arroyo (trade him)

Keyon Dooling (make him opt out)

Hedo Turkoglu (trade him)

Pat Garrity (make him opt out or trade him)

Bo Outlaw (will likely retire)

Once these players are gone, I think we should target the following Free Agents to better our team:

Darko Milicic (PF/C)- We all see what he can do. He is slowly getting comfortable with his game and will be amongst the best big man currently in the game. Good shot blocker and overall defender.

Vince Carter (SG/SF) - Great scorer who can take over for this team when we go through our offensive lapses. IMO, wonderful team player who can get others involved by drawing double teams and help spread the floor for our big men.

Travis Diener (PG) OR Steven Blake (PG) - These guys are true pass-first point gaurds. They care about getting WINNING AND ASSISTS and nothing more. They can also knock down the 3 when teams double Vince or Dwight.

Mickael Pietrus (SG/SF) or Matt Barnes (SG/SF) - These guys are good small fowards who can slash, hit the 3 AND play D. They like to make plays on BOTH sides of the court and play well WITHOUT the ball. We'll also need someone to replace the loss of Turkey.

Austin Croshere (PF) - Another big man but he can hit the 3. He's a good defender and plays well without the ball. Also does the little things that help teams win (charges, offensive boards, etc.)

Darrell Armstrong (PG) - No explanation is neccessary. Great lockerroom guy and can still ball. Perfect for 3rd point gaurd position and will also be a coach-in-training; via Avery Johnson.

MAYBE Grant Hill (SF) - I would re-sign Grant only if he's fine with coming off the bench and possibly take a role like Darrell; 3rd option in the position. We all know what he can do, but we're trying to move foward and get PT to our young guys.

It is important to get rid of the mentioned players to have enough cap space to aquire these FAs. All the FAs mentioned are not out of the question; we have a good shot at landing them without any hassle. Most are UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS except Darko, Diener, and Pietrus. If all goes well, our new '07 - '08 team will look like this:

PG - Jameer/Diener or Blake/Armstrong

SG - Vince/JJ/Bogans

SF - Ariza/Pietrus or Barnes/Grant

PF - Darko/Croshere/Gortat

C - Dwight/Battie/Augustine

This new team would be built for defense, spreading the floor with good 3pt shooters, consistant scoring, and A CHAMPIONSHIP. We'll have a good balance of young players and veteran leadership. I like the team we have now, but we have too many "me" guys on there. The players on THIS team are all unselfish and play on both ends of the floor.

What do you guys think?

nyce plan, mate...

i pretty much like it, just i'd rather have billups instead of vince and i'm not sure if we'll have enough money to resign darko and sign a max player and pietrus...

here's my idea:

Carlos Arroyo - trade his expiring deal

Keyon Dooling - opt out

Hedo Turkoglu - trade him, maybe add bogans and a draft pick

Pat Garrity - it'll be easier to trade his expiring than to make him opt out

Bo Outlaw - retiring

try to get capspace and a top20 first rounder

resign darko for let's say 7mill

sign billups for max.

resign diener for let's say 2mill

resign grant for vet min

sign armstrong for vet min

sign pollard for min or a little bit more

sign gortat for min

PG - billups/jameer/diener/armstrong

SG - rookie/jameer/jj

SF - ariza/hill/2nd rounder

PF - darko/battie/augustine

C - dwight/pollard/gortat

I wouldn't trade Arroyo just yet, coz he brings a lot to the table in home games. I'd go for acquiring Steve blake though, or try to snub Sergio Rodriguez from the Blazers, maybe Fran would come with Sergio here. hah.

anyway, I'd go for Vince. thats about it. move Bogans and Dooling for a big man.

quote:
Ok. Here's my take on our off-season plans. I posted this in the free agency thread. Before the market opens up, we need to clean house. First and foremost, get a new coach. Next, I know this is all easier said than done, but we need to find a way to get rid of the following players:

Carlos Arroyo (trade him)

Keyon Dooling (make him opt out)

Hedo Turkoglu (trade him)

Pat Garrity (make him opt out or trade him)

Bo Outlaw (will likely retire)

Once these players are gone, I think we should target the following Free Agents to better our team:

Darko Milicic (PF/C)- We all see what he can do. He is slowly getting comfortable with his game and will be amongst the best big man currently in the game. Good shot blocker and overall defender.

Vince Carter (SG/SF) - Great scorer who can take over for this team when we go through our offensive lapses. IMO, wonderful team player who can get others involved by drawing double teams and help spread the floor for our big men.

Travis Diener (PG) OR Steven Blake (PG) - These guys are true pass-first point gaurds. They care about getting WINNING AND ASSISTS and nothing more. They can also knock down the 3 when teams double Vince or Dwight.

Mickael Pietrus (SG/SF) or Matt Barnes (SG/SF) - These guys are good small fowards who can slash, hit the 3 AND play D. They like to make plays on BOTH sides of the court and play well WITHOUT the ball. We'll also need someone to replace the loss of Turkey.

Austin Croshere (PF) - Another big man but he can hit the 3. He's a good defender and plays well without the ball. Also does the little things that help teams win (charges, offensive boards, etc.)

Darrell Armstrong (PG) - No explanation is neccessary. Great lockerroom guy and can still ball. Perfect for 3rd point gaurd position and will also be a coach-in-training; via Avery Johnson.

MAYBE Grant Hill (SF) - I would re-sign Grant only if he's fine with coming off the bench and possibly take a role like Darrell; 3rd option in the position. We all know what he can do, but we're trying to move foward and get PT to our young guys.

It is important to get rid of the mentioned players to have enough cap space to aquire these FAs. All the FAs mentioned are not out of the question; we have a good shot at landing them without any hassle. Most are UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS except Darko, Diener, and Pietrus. If all goes well, our new '07 - '08 team will look like this:

PG - Jameer/Diener or Blake/Armstrong

SG - Vince/JJ/Bogans

SF - Ariza/Pietrus or Barnes/Grant

PF - Darko/Croshere/Gortat

C - Dwight/Battie/Augustine

This new team would be built for defense, spreading the floor with good 3pt shooters, consistant scoring, and A CHAMPIONSHIP. We'll have a good balance of young players and veteran leadership. I like the team we have now, but we have too many "me" guys on there. The players on THIS team are all unselfish and play on both ends of the floor.

What do you guys think?

that sounds great actually. if we got Darrell back, he would my new fav. player. Plus, i like the idea of starting Trevor. But I would get rid of Bogans, before Dooling.