Sign in to follow this  
The Magic Word

Projecting the Magic's Record at Season's End

Good info. There are a few solid players at the top of next year's draft, aside from Shabazz Muhammad. Maybe they won't be stars, but they'll be contributors.

We're gonna need a star.

We're probably going to be picking 5-8 so getting a solid starter is about where are expectations should be

Yeah, i'm just talking long term. We're going to need one or two legit stars if we're ever going to win a title.

So, assuming they get a pick somewhere between 4-7, who do you think they should draft?

Marcus Smart or Ben Mclemore are my guys... I think both have all-star potential in the right situations.

See the draft situation thread for more discussion

barring something crazy, I really don't think Ben McLemore is available after the 4th pick next year. I think he is going to continue to prove why he's become a hot commodity. He's getting a bit more fierce out there, trying to step out of the shadows and be a bit more active. If he can keep himself from falling asleep, I think he'll be the first guard selected in June.

I think the top 8 will shift some, now with a guy like McCollum getting injured, I think he's sure to fall to the 7-10 range. I still don't know who I like for us. Shabazz and McLemore are my dynamic guys for us, I think they bring the go-to stuff we need. Well, of the guys available at least, no telling how "go-to" they're really going to be.

You can't really approach the NBA draft with a "We need a star" attitude. I think that's how a lot of teams reach for extremely raw prospects with a high bust potential. There are a lot of drafts where a superstar player never emerges and "can't miss" superstars are even rarer. I think the best approach is to try to draft players that you think can be a meaningful contributor and hopefully a starter. If you have a good GM, and enough high draft picks, eventually a player with legitimate star potential will emerge.

I think we might squeeze win 20 before seasons end, most teams will probably rest their stars anyway so it gives us a better chance.