Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoMagic

Trade Discussion Thread

Live or Die, i couldnt agree with you more about Darko. Why would we give him the start and let him put up big numbers?? I think when it comes down to it late in the season we will play him more if we see a championship, but if we only go 1st round and play Darko limited he will be a cheap pick up...Look what Otis did with Ariza...As for JJ..it wouldnt hurt to give him a few minutes...

Yeah, from a business perspective, you can't fault Otis - if that is in fact what he is doing. But you have to wonder, if Darko were playing 30 a game, how far along would he be? Would it have meant a few more Magic wins?

I suppose the barometer for Darko's free agency is going to be the figure that supposedly was on the table near the end of last season: 5 years, 40 million. If the Magic are pushed beyond that, they may balk.

I doubt the Magic balk, you don't let young talented bigs walk for nothing. Even if they have to match it and trade him if they don't want the contract.

Otis will play the same game as he did with Ariza by letting everyone know he will match ANY offer. Since only a few teams have any cap room, they will most likely focus on unrestricted Free agents or restricted ones not likely to be matched. They won't want to gamble on recruiting and offering Darko, wasting time and cap space (the Magic have 7 or 10 days to match not sure which) only to have Otis match and leave them scrambling for whats left in the market.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I doubt the Magic balk, you don't let young talented bigs walk for nothing. Even if they have to match it and trade him if they don't want the contract.

I suppose I was thinking that balking would cover any scenario where we don't keep Darko. If we match but then trade him because it is too much, that would still be giving up on him in a sense. And the trade would have to be to team that he is ultimately signing with, which limits our options on who we get back.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

I suppose I was thinking that balking would cover any scenario where we don't keep Darko. If we match but then trade him because it is too much, that would still be giving up on him in a sense. And the trade would have to be to team that he is ultimately signing with, which limits our options on who we get back.

True, but I think Otis's scare tactic will work well again. Charlotte is currently the only team that can offer the max, but seem focused on a veteran name like VC to try and sell some tickets.

Memphis could be a player if they move Gasol though. God knows Jerry West loves to steal young bigs from us. But I think his plan is to lose big this year and get a young big out of college (Oden, Durant, Noah). I could see him going hard after Rashard Lewis to get a young All-Star to build around.

In fact, we are lucky that the teams with cap room will likely be high lottery picks in a draft full of young bigs. If they get a guy they like in the draft, why take a chance overpaying for one in free agency.

quote:

In fact, we are lucky that the teams with cap room will likely be high lottery picks in a draft full of young bigs. If they get a guy they like in the draft, why take a chance overpaying for one in free agency.

Great point!

Dare I say, Darko is likely to have less problems with how much we pay him and more problems with how much we play him.

I seem to remember that 2-3 years ago the Celtics made a trade involving Gary Payton to the Hawks, the Hawks then released/bought out his contract and then Payton ended up back in Boston. Maybe someone has better details? Can this be a scenario that could happen with Grant Hill this year, where he is traded/bought out and resigned by the Magic. If Otis can pull something like that off then he is a genious.

I'm sick of everyone over-valueing our players. NO ONE is going to take garbage Garrity for anything.

Another thing, I think there's no way we get Varejao from Cleveland for Arroyo & fillers. He's like a yound Bo Outlaw to them. If we do trade any players to Cleveland, I think it'll be Arroyo, Dooling or Bogans, and a 2nd rounder or Franny for Cleveland's Pavlovic & Pollard. That will give us some room for JJ to play and some decent size up front. I honestly don't think we should trade for a big when we have "Augie" doing well. He just needs a lil' playing time and he'll be very serviceable IMO.

^^ you saw my trade idea. Pavlovic I like and would do it but he brings similar game to Hedo. Pollard would be a nice fit though!

quote:
Originally posted by nbr334:

^^ you saw my trade idea. Pavlovic I like and would do it but he brings similar game to Hedo. Pollard would be a nice fit though!

sasha is much more agressive offensive player than

hedo

hedo is taller and has a much better attitude

but pavlovic is more of an SG so i'd take him

but the key player in this trade is pollard anyway

i'd do this in a sec...

Yeh, most definitely Pollard is the key. But Pavlovic as stated previously would be a nice pick up. Thanks for a quick evaluation, much appreciated. He does posses similar facets to Hedo but he could be a nice player in the rotation. What is he like Defensively? I'm well aware of his offensive ability but defensively?

I liked my trade creation, it brings in a couple of facets we could do with and offloads something valuable to Cleveland, a productive point guard. As of now you'd be quick to laugh at that but when he gets out of his funk he'll be alright. From what I know they are floating around Wesley, so a productive point guard behind Snow compliments well.

+ We'll give them Francine, as a gift, phhhhhhh.