Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official Trade Thread

People keep saying that...Weak draft and all. Who do you think will have the best career? John Wall, Kyrie Irving or Anthony Davis. And who's the player from the "weakest draft in recent memory"

Scouts are also saying that this draft is weak because it doesn't have a clear no 1 option. That doesn't mean the rest of the picks in the mid or late 1st round are any or that much worse... There's always sleepers in every draft.

Sure, of course there are. And possibly I'm overselling the weak draft bit. But I'm just saying that at this point, there's no reason to think that any one of them will be better than Harris. He's still young enough to be something of a developmental prospect himself, and had he stayed in school, I fully expect he'd be a first round pick in this year's draft.

You'd still be able to get more for him if you trade him with that deal, instead of trading him with his expiring.

+ You don't think you can get more than Tobias Harris for him with a sign and trade? Because that's essentially what this deal was.

2 young prospects for a role player? Yes, I do think that is about right for what you can get for a guy like JJ. You are gambling if you resign him at a higher number when he is older. Does he continue to play this well? Does his value hold if he loses mins to a young guy we are trying to develop? We are in a rebuild, I have no interest in over spending to keep a guy that isn't in the long term plan.

He is a great piece, he is not going to put us back in the mix by himself.

Some random thoughts....I think JJ is going to have a hard time in Milwaukee. He's coming off the bench behind two guys who love the basketball. Not an ideal spot for him.

Also, I think Warrick is going to remind us a lot of BBD. Except not as good, which is kind of scary.

True, but I think when he plays he will have them drawn up for him. They need help with 3s and that's why they brought him in - I see no reason why they won't put the ball in his hands.

Sign JJ long term for what exactly? He is entering his prime and he is a player that will not make you a contender, he is a player that will make a good team better. So you want to pay 7 mill to a great complimentary player on a team that will not be near contending for at least 2yrs? For what? So we have a guy that is starting to decline right when we need him in his prime? I really don't get you guys.

I've been saying this for months. I love JJ and wish he could spend his career in Orlando, but it makes no sense. He is a role player. People love him, and for good reason, but why should we pay him longterm when he is just a role player? I kind of wish we got a draft pick from the deal, but we can continue to move forward.

Well, charlotte is making fun of him as we speak.

They cant believe he made that trade with them.

And honestly, me neither.

Cha is a turd of a franchise that can only hope to become an Atl type team. They are excited about getting a guy that didn't even see the floor every game for us vs us clearing space for the future. They have traded away Tyson Chandler for nothing and drafted DJ Augustine 1.0 and 2.0, I can't even get irritated with fans of that team, it's like picking on a deaf, dumb, and blind kid.

Sure, of course there are. And possibly I'm overselling the weak draft bit. But I'm just saying that at this point, there's no reason to think that any one of them will be better than Harris. He's still young enough to be something of a developmental prospect himself, and had he stayed in school, I fully expect he'd be a first round pick in this year's draft.

This is his 2nd year in the league and his stats haven't improved. There's every reason to think that some players picked out of the lottery will turn out better than Harris.

I've been saying this for months. I love JJ and wish he could spend his career in Orlando, but it makes no sense. He is a role player. People love him, and for good reason, but why should we pay him longterm when he is just a role player? I kind of wish we got a draft pick from the deal, but we can continue to move forward.

Role player kind of sells him short. He's more of a fringe allstar or top shelf 6th man at this point. But not worthy of resigning in regards to the team's future.

Cha is a turd of a franchise that can only hope to become an Atl type team. They are excited about getting a guy that didn't even see the floor every game for us vs us clearing space for the future. They have traded away Tyson Chandler for nothing and drafted DJ Augustine 1.0 and 2.0, I can't even get irritated with fans of that team, it's like picking on a deaf, dumb, and blind kid.

I dont think they are excited about Josh. They just dont understand why we got a lesser of a player who is paid more money on a longer contract who plays the same position as Josh and then waive him.

I honestly think there has to be a pick involved somewhere or they will provide us with 2-3 more ping pong balls for the draft.

This is his 2nd year in the league and his stats haven't improved. There's every reason to think that some players picked out of the lottery will turn out better than Harris.

When you only spend ten minutes on the floor with two chuckers in the back court your stats aren't going to be great.

Role player kind of sells him short. He's more of a fringe allstar or top shelf 6th man at this point. But not worthy of resigning in regards to the team's future.

I just feel like the 2 biggest player assets Orlando have had this year (excluding DH) have turned into essentially Doron Lamb and Tobias Harris. Call me crazy but I think that is extremely bad.

I have something to say to those of you who are missing JJ already and allowing your emotions to cloud your basketball logic: it is OK to feel that way!

Don't let these other guys - some of whom are good friends of mine - sway you from how you feel. Fandom is all about emotions, and emotions are what many of us are feeling now. Days from now, after the initial pain has worn off, we can better view the trade objectively and maybe even come to the realization that this was the best move to make. But for now, don't feel bad for missing JJ or for wishing he could have stayed with the Magic for the remainder of his career. Yes, even if it was for 7 million a year.

I'm right there with you guys.