Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

What is Darko's Ceiling

In an East that has Bosh, Okafor, Jefferson, Gasol, Jamison, how on Earth is Darko going to get picked for an all-star team? The only way it happens is if Darko gets motivated enough to use the massive amount of potential he has.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

I can see Darko with two or three years @ the allstar level, if he stays and develops here!

you see him an allstar only if he develops here?

i would very much like to see him as an allstar.. he's got the future ahead of him, he turned 22 today, but as a lot of darko followers we all know he needs motivation. i hope good coaching initiates that.

i want to see him in the euro champs soon, sit back and watch the talent grow.

as for his ceiling..hmmm god knows..

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

In an East that has Bosh, Okafor, Jefferson, Gasol, Jamison, how on Earth is Darko going to get picked for an all-star team? The only way it happens is if Darko gets motivated enough to use the massive amount of potential he has.

Well Marc, that is the point! Darko has had 2 or 3 coaches that wanted instant everything from him! The demands of being a 7" footer in this league did not allow him to develop along with being the 2nd overall pick in the 03 draft did not help him either. Now I think if SVG can't get the best out of this guy, then all of the people that critisized him for being lazy and so on, will be proven right, and we can get beyond him be signing him to a short term contract 3 years @ a reasonable #. But I think he will produce under SVG being used correctly, he should have 2 - 3 allstar years before it his career is over.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Well Marc, that is the point! Darko has had 2 or 3 coaches that wanted instant everything from him! The demands of being a 7" footer in this league did not allow him to develop along with being the 2nd overall pick in the 03 draft did not help him either. Now I think if SVG can't get the best out of this guy, then all of the people that critisized him for being lazy and so on, will be proven right, and we can get beyond him be signing him to a short term contract 3 years @ a reasonable #. But I think he will produce under SVG being used correctly, he should have 2 - 3 allstar years before it his career is over.

I hope you are right, if he is playing at that level then I am a happy camper!

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

First of all if the Lakers want him as the centerpiece for Kobe I will personally drive Darko the airport.

The main intention of this thread is to gauge how good other members think Darko can be. I think he has the same skill set as a Gasol or O'Neal which is why I believe that to be his ceiling. Whether or not he ever gets there is up to him.

Plus to add to marc's post I completely agree. If you actually look at O'Neal, Boozer, Randolph, and Gasol where have they really led their teams?? Darko cannot carry a team. Putting up numbers and being a team leader takes a special player and he has not even remotely shown the mental makeup to carry a team.

Darko definitely has the skill set to be as good as those guys. Matter of fact, so do most guys at the professional level. The one thing that sets apart the contenders from the pretenders is the desire to raise their game above the rest of the competition that have very similar skill sets. It's all about passion, and I don't know if that is something that Darko will ever demonstrate that he possesses.

none of us can say what darko will do or can do in the future. who has said he is lazy or unmotivated. he is still a very young man aparrently with a fragile personality in a hostile and complicated situation. he is from another country with language and adjustment issues. we should all give him our support and hope he stays with the magic. he and howard along with jj and trevor could just be very special if given the right leadership. we could be enjoying this group for a long time and yes he will be an allstar at some point.jacklj

Well, I do not have ESPN insider... The David Thorpe Chat was today at noon...

the first question was...

"Tom (wisconsin): What kind of player do you think darko will turn out to be?

SportsNation David Thorpe: Solid starter, not sure he has the all-star work ethic."

... any body have ESPN Insider.. I wonder if there were any Darko Follow-ups or any other talk that concerns the Magic..

Free kernel of Insider Chat

I checked it, nothing really to speak of, there was another question about Grant but it had to do with whether he would work in Toronto. Nothing else of interest for us, I keep sending in question's about who we are going after in FA and they are ignoring me.

let's not forget the playoff series vs. detroit....he began by playing injured and with a vituperative crowd. he was the best magic player with some really sterling moments. the talent is there; with a little luck we will see an all star emerge

I think he will be a Big Z clone, he will get more blocks then Zydrunas Ilgauskas

I dont have high hopes for Darko (the human light pole). I have never been impressed with him and I doubt I ever will.

14.5 points 7.5 rebounds 2.5 blks.

this is a good post and when we actually think about it, it might make us less determined to trade for a "superstar". i could see darko averaging 15-9 or so next year if given the starting job and 30-35 min/gm which i think he'll get. i compare him to a big Z gasol mixture, not quite as stiff as z but not as fluent as gasol either. Z averaged 14-9 in 30 min his rookie year at 23 yrs old. Gasol 17-9 in 37 min as a rook at 21. I look at that Chicago game when Darko was starting as the potential for not only him but this team. Him and Dwight both logged like 16 rebs and I think he ended with like 20 pts or so. Not sayin he can at any point in his career average 20-16 but 18-11 is not a huge stretch, especially when considering the scraps hed get from Dwight. The closer we get to free agency the more i want the magic jus to stay put, and let the two big dogs be our focal point on offense next year