Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

I always wondered how would our team look if howard wasnt the first option on offense.

I can see if we had hakeem olajuwon but with dwight our team will go as far as he takes them.

Thats why I think svg was fired. Not using players correctly. Shard couldve did more then just spot up for 3s.

Howard shouldn't be the 1st option... he can't shoot free throws or pass...

his turnover ratio is too high...

he shoots a high %, but if you factor in the turnovers and the missed free throws...and count them as missed field goals... his percentage is actually way lower

its either 4 guys standing and watching him go to the free throw line or turning the ball over... or would you rather get ball movements with pick n roll

and shard should had posted up more... he was killing the celtics down low that year...

This is really what I'm worried about.

Let's say that we somehow swung a miracle trade and brought in Smith or Ellis and then Dwight discovered that playing with them wasn't quite as awesome as he pictured. I'm sure Dwight would once again throw the Magic under the bus and check out at the end of the year and...?

We'd be stuck with whomever Dwight had us sign. Ellis or Smith ever win a championship? On their own? Nope.

And we'd be stuck with them.

Ellis and Smith both will more than likely become FA's next year. Will clear cap if at the worst.

Ellis and Smith both will more than likely become FA's next year. Will clear cap if at the worst.

True, but the problem is we have no real assets to acquire either player.

He hasnt come out to deny any rumor whether theyre true or false. Rob knows what Dwight's thinking. He meant to opt in but he was upset about the Magic not standing up for him after what Stan said back in April

Did I miss something here? Was what Stan said not the truth? How can Dwight be upset with the team not standing up for him when all it was was someone finally saying the truth? The Magic were supposed to lie? SVG was gone anyways, and I like that he went out with both guns blazing. He's tried for many years to get this kid to grow the *blank* up and start taking command of his team on the floor, and himself at the FT line. Dwight's too busy shooting movies or commercials or rap albums or whatever the crap else he's doing that ISN'T working on FTs or becoming the leader he portrays himself as, so SVG (you know, the guy who never really seems to hold anything back) didn't hold anything back.

Mike Brown SVG was sacrificed as a means to entice Lebron Howard to stay, but it didn't work. Now, with the potential for all these new, young players to be added to our roster, we could probably use the coach that was actually really good at developing young talent (provided they're willing to put in work), but if I were SVG, I'd tell the Magic to go pound sand if they tried to rehire me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

right, do you honestly think in his heart he 'wants' to leave?

Nah he wasnt, Big Baby was a guy they brought up to him about acquiring and he was ok with it, but it wasnt one of the guys he had mentioned

Howard flip flop so much us fans dont know what to believe. But I do know this, I believe the reason for opting in was to the magic a chance to bring another player in that will make his decision easier. What other reason could he have to opt in. Just doesnt make any sense to opt in for the same team to play with unless he was promised better players.

Howard still handled this whole situation not professional and desrves every backlash from fans who supported the team.

This might seem crazy but Jareth has a point. This could be look Dwight we are trading you to Houston so you either a. stick it out here and explore options later or b. we pull the trigger. Just wanted to tell you to your face what is happening.

Or they could be playing a game of backgammon and waxing poetic on Nas new album. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility at this point.

I disagree with what Stan did.

He had no right to air the teams dirty laundry to the media and then let Dwight walk into it without any forewarning.

Stan would have been fired or suspended that day if Alex Martins had been in town. Coaches are held to higher standard than players and disclosing private front office conversations guaranteed Stan would not be returning.

• Upvote 1

I'd buy that, actually. And I've said this a few times: I still think the best situation for the Magic AND Dwight is if he sticks around. We went through this with Shaq (granted, when he was a free agent and not a year before), and boy - the Magic sure showed Shaq who was boss!

So....yeah: the Magic don't come out winners in this situation and Dwight probably does.

The problem is that the Magic can't really do anything this offseason with the contracts they have. The only way we move any of the garbage contracts is if they're part of the Dwight Deal. And even if some team wanted to take a risk on JRich, etc, there's no way that player nets us one of the (semi-) Allstars on Dwight's list.

Next summer, we have a shot. This summer? It's just not possible.

So Dwight wants action? Well...I want to live on Mars: it's just not feasible right now.

The other problem is that there is a LOT of noise out there (obviously), but surprisingly little publicly from Dwight. The only thing we've heard, very consistently, from Dwight is: "My position hasn't changed." Meaning "I want to be traded to Brooklyn [for some reason, even though they don't have the salary cap to afford me and I'd have to jack the Magic organization over for YEARS for them to pull the trigger on that trade]."

I want to hear something from Dwight's own mouth. But right now? As a fan of this team? I'm just worn out. Dwight wants out, that's fine: the Magic have sucked, and sucked hard, as a team for the majority of their existence - I've been loyal through all of that. I'll be loyal through this one, too.

And I want him to come out and say something but he doesnt want to. Unfortunately for us now, because he doesnt want to talk, whenever a 'source' says Dwight has said something we've had to believe it because he doesnt want to talk. I'm having to deny all the crazy rumors that have come out when I would rather him do it, but of well.

Youre right though, will be tough to make moves, but i guess "Trust in Henny"?

That's the point, Dwight seems to act like he has never had the chance to win one, which would be false.

Dwight is not entitled to go to the finals, no one is. It takes a team effort to win and only team effort alone.

Dwight had a chance, the team had a chance, and they failed.

Granted the roster sucked and it wasn't even that good in 2009. But they made it work night in and night out, Dwight played his role (Rebound/Defend) like everyone else did. No one gave us a chance, specially after the 76ers round. But the team held together, Turk made a game winner, we advanced.

Building a NBA team is very different than building a Charity team of friends.

As far as the maturity of Wade and James and Kobe.... Guess what the fact that Howard has "ALWAYS" had a beef with the refs might be a root cause to his ref issue. Besides these named guys are Champions and Wing Players, Dwight isn't.

Youre right, no one is. Chris Paul hasnt even been to ONE Finals. Putting together a championship team is difficult, but when he sees a rival like LeBron go to the Finals 3 times in 5 years thats where the frustration comes from. For all the money our owners have we have not put a championship team out on the floor maybe besides the 2009 squad. Only reason were really even a playoff team every year is because of Howard. Last years team only had one defender in the starting lineup and only one guy that could attack the basket??

• Upvote 1

He had no right to air the teams dirty laundry to the media and then let Dwight walk into it without any forewarning.

Stan would have been fired or suspended that day if Alex Martins had been in town. Coaches are held to higher standard than players and disclosing private front office conversations guaranteed Stan would not be returning.

Agreed.

SVG is a smart guy, but this wasn't a smart move what so ever. I would of fired him as well.

When you don't like a situation, you leave. It's that simple.

Howard shouldn't be the 1st option... he can't shoot free throws or pass...

his turnover ratio is too high...

he shoots a high %, but if you factor in the turnovers and the missed free throws...and count them as missed field goals... his percentage is actually way lower

its either 4 guys standing and watching him go to the free throw line or turning the ball over... or would you rather get ball movements with pick n roll

and shard should had posted up more... he was killing the celtics down low that year...

Totally agree. Even in seattle shard was known for shooting 3s, posting up and shooting off screens but when he gets to Orlando he becomes a spot up shooter.

Our offense with svg was so 1 dimensional. I hated that live by the 3 crap. Apparently otis and svg vision was to try something new but it didnt work. So they get released. Time to try something new. We all know how stubborn stan is so it was basically time for change. From not playing the young players,questionable rotations and of course playing turkoglu and duhon.

Still, it was a thing of beauty!