Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Time to Fire Otis Smith???

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Magic owners fire Otis Smith?

• Yes, it is time
    • No, it is not time

Honestly, I don't care if firing Otis changes Dwight's mind or not. I have zero confidence in Otis' ability to build this team or the next team into contenders.

All of us, think of the many different players and combinations Otis has put together in the last few years. He's made plenty of moves, yet his moves over the last two years have been awful:

-Duhon signing ... to a large and long contract for his production

-Q signing ... to a large and long contract for his production

-Trading with Phoenix ... giving away Tat, Peaches, Vince's (practically) expiring contract AND a first for JRich, Turk (and his awful contract) and Earl

-Trading with Washington ... to add a hurt, terrible, PR nightmare, bloated of a contract Arenas

-Re-signing JRich ... to a long deal, who is outdated and not the wing we need

-Trading and signing Baby ... for too much money

Shaq says SVG is the master of panic. WRONG. Otis is the master of panic. And if ownership isn't honest with themselves about this situation, it's only going to get worse.

Gang, this current team is not winning jack and that is primarily due to Mr. Otis Smith.

#rant

EDIT: Nice to see others ranting, too smile_cheers.gif

Arenas for Lewis was basically a wash (but I would rather have Lewis here if we knew all along we were going to bring back Turk).

For Dwight to stay BOTH Otis and SVG would have to go. Dwight is clearly not happy with them, and Dwight's said he wants to win it HIS way.

Honestly, I don't care if firing Otis changes Dwight's mind or not. I have zero confidence in Otis' ability to build this team or the next team into contenders.

All of us, think of the many different players and combinations Otis has put together in the last few years. He's made plenty of moves, yet his moves over the last two years have been awful:

-Duhon signing ... to a large and long contract for his production

-Q signing ... to a large and long contract for his production

-Trading with Phoenix ... giving away Tat, Peaches, Vince's (practically) expiring contract AND a first for JRich, Turk (and his awful contract) and Earl

-Trading with Washington ... to add a hurt, terrible, PR nightmare, bloated of a contract Arenas

-Re-signing JRich ... to a long deal, who is outdated and not the wing we need

-Trading and signing Baby ... for too much money

Shaq says SVG is the master of panic. WRONG. Otis is the master of panic. And if ownership isn't honest with themselves about this situation, it's only going to get worse.

Gang, this current team is not winning jack and that is primarily due to Mr. Otis Smith.

#rant

EDIT: Nice to see others ranting, too smile_cheers.gif

Otis needs to go IRRESPECTIVE of whether it might cause Dwight to want to stay or not. He should have been gone last year.

As for SVG, I do think he's a good X's and O's coach. But, he has never given young guys and/or bench guys beyond the 1st 3 or so, any opportunity to play and develop. SVG rountinely leaves in the starters until the end of blowouts, never giving any meaningful minutes to guys who need some time to show what they can do. Examples: Gortat's 1st 2 seasons, he rarely got in. JJ went long stretches his 1st 2 seasons with virtually no minutes. You see it now with Harper, Liggins and Orton. I'm not saying throw those guys into the middle of a tight game. But, there are plenty of games where we have been up or down by 15 points with 4+ minutes left where they could get some playing time to help their development. In this season where there is no practice time, that's the only opportunity those guys can get to show their stuff.

As far as Dwight, no matter how tired and childish his act has gotten, you still do everything you can to try to keep him. He's that good, that rare and that much of a difference maker. But, his attiitude and how he's handled the trade demands is sickening.

Arenas for Lewis was basically a wash (but I would rather have Lewis here if we knew all along we were going to bring back Turk).

It wasn't really a wash. Rashard had 1 less year left on his bloated deal, expiring after next season. I think the Magic may have amnestied the Rashard contract if the trade hadn't been made, which would then have made the trade a "wash" for salary cap purposes. But, the Magic might have held onto Rashard to clear huge cap space next year in the expiring year. Either way, I'll bet Rich DeVos would have been a lot happier only having to pay 1 more year of Rashard's deal instead of 2 more years of Arenas' contract. Mr. DeVos can thank Otis for that huge financial loss. Which again begs the question -- why hasn't he fired Otis?

I'm just going to throw this out there about Stan because people seem to not have a sense of what he does for the team and players.

Stan gives playing time to the guys who earn it, who show him that they are ready. He typically gets more out of his players than your average coach. Heck, he's really the only guy that had made Hedo shine. JJ has come a long way under Stan to become the stellar role player that he is today. Jameer was an All-Star player for Stan. Courtney Lee was able to earn minutes on a contending team, as a rookie, playing in the NBA Finals no less.

Is he going to give guys playing time for the sake of development for the sake of development? No, not in our current situation. Remember, we're not, nor have we been a bottom feeding team that is focused on developing younger players to improve our future. Stan didn't have the luxury of not worrying about playoffs and focusing on developing our younger players. We've been a contending team ever since he walked in the door. To expect him to give guys playing time for the sake of development is a bit too much.

If guys prove themselves to Stan (Like C. Lee did), they get their playing time.

• Upvote 1

I'm just going to throw this out there about Stan because people seem to not have a sense of what he does for the team and players.

Stan gives playing time to the guys who earn it, who show him that they are ready. He typically gets more out of his players than your average coach. Heck, he's really the only guy that had made Hedo shine. JJ has come a long way under Stan to become the stellar role player that he is today. Jameer was an All-Star player for Stan. Courtney Lee was able to earn minutes on a contending team, as a rookie, playing in the NBA Finals no less.

Is he going to give guys playing time for the sake of development for the sake of development? No, not in our current situation. Remember, we're not, nor have we been a bottom feeding team that is focused on developing younger players to improve our future. Stan didn't have the luxury of not worrying about playoffs and focusing on developing our younger players. We've been a contending team ever since he walked in the door. To expect him to give guys playing time for the sake of development is a bit too much.

If guys prove themselves to Stan (Like C. Lee did), they get their playing time.

69% Winning Percentage with the Magic.... You don't get there by playing guys who don't earn their playing time.

Agree with Echo.... Stan needs to stay...

MY question is..... when are we going to start seeing signs and chants for the firing of Otis.... I mean, if the owners can hear this during games, then maybe something might happen.....

"Otis is like a cheap Box of Chocolates, Full of Disappointment" - Barnettej

Yup. It is time. I must admit. I was one of those who defended Otis in the past. But even I am now willing to admit. He has done us wrong. To his credit, he may have been trying to do things to appease Howard, but man oh man, are we handcuffed now. Sorry, Otis. Nice try. But WE DON'T LIKE THIS TEAM.

Time to blow this baby up ....

Otis can take Dave with him too. No way do I want him as an intern GM.

Get a whole new staff from GM, to scouts.

Outside of drafting Fran the drafting hasn't been bad and the Fran pick supposedly was more about what Brian Hill wanted. Courtney was a good late pick, JJ was a good pick, Jameer was a good late pick (via trade). I agree that I don't want any of those guys within the ranks to move up to GM, I want someone that has proven abilities but I haven't had a problem with who we have drafted.