Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7l4jgal

Would you do it?

Minnesota is shopping Beasley. I think this could benefit us.

Nelson/Ridnour

Redick/Q/Wafer

Turk/Beasley/Q

Anderson/Beasley

Howard/Milicic

As much as I am not fan of Beasley. I would do that trade in a heartbeat if Howard ok'd it.

I think we´re not gonna make any big moves

Dwight wanna leave and Otis will trade him for some crappy players and we suck next few years..!

This Ellis and Nash rumors are just a story..

as much as I hate it, but it seems to go this way.. we all know Otis!

In pre lock-out terms, and given that a lot of people thought we shouldn't resign J-Rich, the trade is essentially Bass for Beasley.

The Duhon for Ridnour and a back-up center part is a delightful extra.

So it rules.

But hey, it ain't gonna happen, so...

I stopped right there because the most imminent needs on this team are go to scorer, speed on the wings and a player who creates his own shot.

Not sure if you are aware that the Magic are always near the top of the ratings for defense, so I do not consider that an imminent need. We are currently #9 in team D and and #22 on offense. So a simple look at stats shows that your argument is a little off.

I don't mean to pick on you but after last night's game I hope you went back and read the whole thing this time around.

I don't mean to pick on you but after last night's game I hope you went back and read the whole thing this time around.

How are you picking on me again? You are worried about defense which is hilarious. Did you not see the end of the game where no one could create their own shot one on one?

Is there anyone in the NBA who can guard Durant? I think not.

Not sure how you think last night proves anything against Monta being here. If anything, it reinforced the need.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The main reason why I do not like Ellis on this team is that as currently constructed, he does not fill the most imminent needs of the team. I have been on record multiple times saying that I believe goals #1 and #2 should be two perimeter defenders->one that plays strictly in the backcourt, and then one that can also defend the post sufficiently if called on to. #3 is someone who can create for others-not themselves. #4 on the list is a scorer like Ellis who MAY take over a game and MAY require double teams at times. People are obsessed with scorers, so they automatically feel like they are the answer-Orlando has become purgatory for scorers of recent years because the system does not bode well for volume shots-our system is based off of offensive efficiency! When we take volume shots and miss-we lose (refer muliple 30 3pt attempt games with low %). What makes anyone think that bringing a poor shooting volume scorer in now is going to change anything? Sure, Ellis is younger than the other prolific scorers we have brought in here, but those older scorers were also more well rounded scorers than Ellis (skilled). Will he make the transition to a complete player?

For example, I think we would be a better TEAM with Gerald Henderson + Tyrus Thomas than we would with Monte Ellis...just my opinion, but I have heard the arguments for Ellis and I just don't buy it.

I think Ellis' advantage is based on athleticism, not skill. There, I said it. I like skilled players. I would move Ellis to the front of the line if he came with a Dwight extension though...of course.

Short story long, I like his athleticism, but I am afraid of him shooting the ball-period. I am afraid of how long it will take for him to learn how to play defense-if ever. I am concerned he will change the culture of the team in a bad way-but that is just based off of how he acts/his reputation. I am afraid of his contract and what it could/would become after next season. I am afraid of being stuck with a hobbled/aging player in a few years who relies on quickness to score-when that is literally all he contributes.

That last paragraph of yours is pure speculation based off opinion. I don't want Ellis spotting up at the 3 point line, he will miss 3 times out of 4-and that wouldnt even be considered an 'off night' for him.

You would rather have Tyrus Thomas and Gerald Henderson then a D12 Monta Ellis combo????? LOL.

Clearly you have never watched Ellis play. He does not just rely on speed. I read so many message board myths about the guy posted by guys who don't have league pass and probably watch 2 Golden State games a year.

Usually its like this - he can't play PG, He is just fast, He doesn't play D..

He is an exceptionally skilled guard with a great shot and much better court vision than you give him credit for.

The reason my last paragraph is not raw speculation is because not only do I watch a lot of late night Warriors games, I also know how the Magic would run an offense with a guard like Monta. It would be a much better offense than our current #22 rating we have right now.

Once again, tell me who on the Magic can create their own shot, and then go watch the last 2 minutes of last nights game and tell me we don't need a guy like Elllis.

• Upvote 2

Let's all be clear. The "most imminent need of the team" is that Dwight Howard stays in Orlando. Without that one singular player being secured, any other debate about Ellis, Nash, Iguodola, or the ghost of Michael Jordan, is a moot point. If Dwight goes, then the discussion needs to turn to young players, draft picks and cap relief to rebuild this team from the ground up.

Actually, upon further reflection, a total rebuild wouldn't be necessary IF we could do a deal that would bring the right All-Star with cap relief in a trade for Dwight. The rumored Knicks deal of Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler might work out really well IF the Magic could also dump Hedo and/or Duhon with it: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7q8ng5d

New frontline of Carmelo, Ryan Anderson and Tyson Chandler. Obviously, Tyson is not Dwight defensively or offensively. But, Carmelo would be a HUGE upgrade over Hedo offensively and at least somewhat better than Hedo defensively. Carmelo probably holds onto the ball as long on offense as Hedo does as well.

If Isiah Thomas was still GM, the Knicks might actually make the deal. Not so sure now. But, if Dwight absolutely wants out and was willing to go to the Knicks, I'd at least be excited as a Magic fan that we could still be pretty competitve and relevant in the East. Not sure we can beat the Heat or Bulls with or without Dwight.

The team will not rebuild. So people need to stop fantasizing about getting draft picks and all that stuff. They want to win a title before Devos passes on.

The Knicks trade is one of the best options to me as well.

You would rather have Tyrus Thomas and Gerald Henderson then a D12 Monta Ellis combo????? LOL.

Clearly you have never watched Ellis play. He does not just rely on speed. I read so many message board myths about the guy posted by guys who don't have league pass and probably watch 2 Golden State games a year.

Usually its like this - he can't play PG, He is just fast, He doesn't play D..

He is an exceptionally skilled guard with a great shot and much better court vision than you give him credit for.

The reason my last paragraph is not raw speculation is because not only do I watch a lot of late night Warriors games, I also know how the Magic would run an offense with a guard like Monta. It would be a much better offense than our current #22 rating we have right now.

Once again, tell me who on the Magic can create their own shot, and then go watch the last 2 minutes of last nights game and tell me we don't need a guy like Elllis.

I'm with Catman on this one. I watch a lot of Golden State games every year and Monta Ellis is underestimated by many of the folks on this board. He can absolutely get his shot anytime he wants and he plays with energy. Aside from Westbrook, Rose, Wade and maybe one or two others he is one of the best guards as far as driving and finishing at the rim. He can absolutely create offense for himself and for others. We do not have a player like him on the team. His outside shot is dangerous enough so that teams have to respect it. His defense has been picked apart a great deal mostly because Golden State never stressed defense until this year. I'm sure he could grow into our defensive scheme. Look, Redick was able to become a decent defensive player so why could't Ellis. Ellis has much better natural gifts than Redick possesses.

Problem is, I don't think we will be able to get him but I would love to see it happen.

• Upvote 1