Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

No Cav's Game Thread?

Sarcasm aside, I'm actually going to agree with TMF. I could care less about the chat room or cyber bullying or whatever else, but this board has really gone down hill. The only purpose it serves anymore is to have a little fun with rumors during free agency and the trade deadline. Other than that, there's nothing of value, and anything that is valuable is just swallowed up in a string of posts in which certain people either (1) try to be funny with the inside jokes they've developed from setting up camp here, or (2) mock others for their inferior intellect and basketball knowledge. So, yes, TMF does have a point.

Cheers.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Sarcasm aside, I'm actually going to agree with TMF. I could care less about the chat room or cyber bullying or whatever else, but this board has really gone down hill. The only purpose it serves anymore is to have a little fun with rumors during free agency and the trade deadline. Other than that, there's nothing of value, and anything that is valuable is just swallowed up in a string of posts in which certain people either (1) try to be funny with the inside jokes they've developed from setting up camp here, or (2) mock others for their inferior intellect and basketball knowledge. So, yes, TMF does have a point.

Cheers.

The main problem here is that the majority of the board is so quick to dismiss the Magic as Champions that they don't bother to talk about the team, and when they do, it's to complain and whine. I've already talked to Marc about this but the rep system has really dumbed the board down. From what I remember before, at least people replied to something they did or didn't agree with. Nowadays people will just -1 or +1 and call it a day.

Hell, I hardly think it's people trying to be funny. Normally certain people here will say ridiculous things and when they are challenged or replied to, they ignore it completely and go on to the next thread to talk about it again. TMF is a huge culprit of this. Nobody here has the answers to everything but it's a message board and if you say something that doesn't make sense or is borderline uninformed, at least have the decency to attempt to back up claims or at least try to see why you could be wrong.

And to be honest, the only people I see being seriously mocked are the ones that are trolls or the ones that think this forum is their personal blog and create a thread every time they think of something that may or may not even be Magic related.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The board will be fine when the playoffs start. The regular season always drags on and there's still 11 more games to go. Plus, there is a perception that our team maxed out a couple years ago and some of the excitement is gone.

It's kind of a blessing in that there has been much less trolling and spouting of nonsense recently. Most of the dedicated, intelligent Magic fans have still been around and those are pretty much the people I want to talk to anyway.

What's there to really talk about? lol We await what almost seems inevitable First or Second Round Exit (Eastern Conference Finals Exit if we're lucky) then the Dwight Madness begins shortly thereafter. Will he stay/Will he go? The problem is that's all been discussed here. We got the Post-Trade Deadline Blues. Team isn't playing well and don't seem to be really improving. There's no chance to improve through exciting trades or signings so we just wait for the playoffs to start so we have meaningful games to discuss.

I haven't been on this board for very long but I have been in the chat room almost every game. I haven't seen any of this bullying going on. Actually I have not really seen TMF in there single time.

Is this whining about bullying just because Jareth told your Dwight and dragons pics were lame? Grow up.

I haven't been on this board for very long but I have been in the chat room almost every game. I haven't seen any of this bullying going on. Actually I have not really seen TMF in there single time.

thank you. Yet she complains about it...

Cheers.

I agree with TMF and You.

I will say that ever since we moved from Orlandomagiczone to TrueblueNation the board has gone even more quiet then it was already starting to back in 2010.

Posters that i rarely even read anymore (some might have changed names) DOM, Smackdaddy, BJ, myself, LOD and Marc Acres, Fendi and even Hutchence dont post nearly as much as they used.

It could be cyberbullies, some could be loss of interest posting and time. Either way it has gone a lot quieter

I pretty much agree with a lot of what's being said here... I was watching the boards before I joined, and it's just the case that the Magic have already established themselves as a power in the East. This team was climbing up, trying to make a name for itself, and that was an exciting time. But, once they finally got to the Finals and after last year's disappointing ECF exit, things have simmered down. Until the Magic win it all, there really isn't anything new to accomplish for this team.

Until next Free Agency, that is.

All that aside, I also think there is some "cyber-bullying" that goes on around here, but nothing too different from most online message boards. Actually, what goes on here is pretty tame. People at least give reasons for their bashing here, rather than just straight-out flaming a poster.

It's really hard to tell how people will respond to posts on this board. I think most of the bashing, though, comes from reposts of things already discussed or people making claims (and then trying to defend those claims) without much reason to back them up.

This isn't to say that I think it's okay to bash others. I just think there are ways to avoid it. I mean, I've never really had anyone knock me since I've joined.

Just be smart about what you post and have the facts to back up any argument you might want to make.

Just sayin'

You guys can make all the excuses in the world. But lets be honest about what has happened here. It was not the bandwagoners or fair weather fans that caused this board to go dead. I have been an active member of this board since 2007, and I have never seen this message board this quiet.

The reason for what's happening can be attributed to a group of members of this board (a clique) who have made life miserable for some contributors, to the point where, in my opinion, people are turned off and don't feel it's worth being bullied by this group of people.

On game nights, the same group of people have separated yourselves from the rest of the magic kingdom for your own private discussions. And no, don't tell me that anyone can join or enter the chat room. There are over 8,000 members of the Magic Message Board.

Think about it, because if you keep shutting people out, not only will there no longer be a need for a game thread . . .there also won't be a need for this message board.

GO MAGIC!!!!

I agree.

+1

It is too bad that there wasn't a game thread. Truly.

And it is true that the boards have gone down quite a bit from their peak of a few years ago.

But I think this concept of bullying and being bullied is really relegated to a few select members. I'd even go so far as to say that those members that could be classified as bullies and those that would call themselves the bullied could be counted on one hand. Furthermore, these incidents are extremely infrequent, and tend to be repetitive (i.e., the same actions/interaction for each occurrence).

Also, it seems to be that those that are being bullied are standing up for themselves. If I remember my playground rules, once you stand up for yourself, you're no longer being bullied.

• Upvote 1

I think blaming what is likely the slow demise of message boards on e thugs is narrow sighted. Since the day the boards started there have been posters who were prone to flaming and in fact probably more of them.

I think most of the people who posted in game threads can pretty much be found in the chat room on most game nights. The team finally gave the posters the expanded chat room they demanded and posters moved.

Also the team no longer promotes the message boards to bring in new posters. They used to promote it during telecasts, on the front page of the website, have team media personal visit the site and post, and hold live MMB events for posters.

That doesn't happen anymore, they promote their own blogs and twitter/facebook followings. Other avenues to deliver information and promote discussion in what is becoming a less of PC world and more of a smart phone based one have been their focus.

Message boards are quickly becoming the dinosaurs of a smart phone app based world.