Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Arenas showing signs of life ??? (links)

Second, Gilbert Arenas continues to play smart, efficient basketball. Splitting time between both guard spots--he filled in for the injured J.J. Redick at the two--Arenas poured in 16 points on 5-of-10 shooting in 27 minutes. And this wasn't an instance of a busted watch being right twice a day, either; Arenas moved fluidly, mixed his inside game with his outside game, and generally looked healthy. It's his third straight game, and fifth in his last seven appearances, reaching double figures. The Magic don't need him to dominate in order to win; they just need 15-20 minute of competent ball in relief of Jameer Nelson per night, with some scoring. Arenas' putrid February jaded a lot of Orlando fans, but speaking as someone who's not easily impressed by small, scoring guards, let me assure you that Arenas looked fantastic today.

On the topic of Arenas, it’s worth mentioning that he’s starting to get into a groove offensively. No, the Suns’ defense isn’t very good so that should be taken into account but 16 points on 10 shots for Arenas is great. There was a sequence in the fourth quarter when Arenas was isolated against Lopez and he was able to break him down off the dribble for a step-back jumper. Arenas’ athleticism, what remains of it, comes and goes but that was an example that he still has it in him to create for himself on offense when he needs to.

If Orlando can count on Arenas to, at minimum, score more points than the amount of field goal attempts he accumulates, that’s a small victory. Arenas’ spot-up shooting is solid, while he has the strength to post up on smaller point guards when the matchup presents itself. If the Magic can put Arenas in positions to succeed, then there’s still a chance he can be the dynamic scorer off the bench that general manager Otis Smith hoped he’d be when he acquired him.

Come on Magic Fans.....we gotta pull for this guy !!!!.....Season ain't over.....that's for sure.

I still "Believe in Magic" !!!

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/3/14/2049089/orlando-magic-vs-phoenix-suns-recap-march-13-dwight-howard#storyjump

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2011/03/13/recap-orlando-magic-111-phoenix-suns-88/#more-7333

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There was a sequence in the fourth quarter when Arenas was isolated against Lopez and he was able to break him down off the dribble for a step-back jumper. Arenas’ athleticism, what remains of it, comes and goes but that was an example that he still has it in him to create for himself on offense when he needs to.

So, he was able to create separation against one of the slowest men in basketball. A 6'2 guard, was able to break down a 7'1 sloth.

Now look, I'm not trying to put down Gil's performance. I'm glad he's starting to find his shot, and I'm dying for this guy to succeed, but he doesn't look any quicker than he has looked in past games. He consistently needs to keep plucking that arm of his out in order to get past any defender because he's just not quick enough.

He looks confident, though. I'm pulling for the guy, but yesterday's Gil was the same Gil we've seen for some time now. He's just a ridiculously streaky shooter.

And this coming from the board's #2 optimist.

So, he was able to create separation against one of the slowest men in basketball. A 6'2 guard, was able to break down a 7'1 sloth.

Now look, I'm not trying to put down Gil's performance. I'm glad he's starting to find his shot, and I'm dying for this guy to succeed, but he doesn't look any quicker than he has looked in past games. He consistently needs to keep plucking that arm of his out in order to get past any defender because he's just not quick enough.

He looks confident, though. I'm pulling for the guy, but yesterday's Gil was the same Gil we've seen for some time now. He's just a ridiculously streaky shooter.

And this coming from the board's #2 optimist.

He does the same arm pluck LeBron, Wade, and damn near every other wing does. Problem is Gil during an arm swing is like swinging a 1 ton bag of bricks around in a circle. He always gets caught.

I'm loving those disgusting 3's he takes though. HIBACHI

He's looking better the last few games because his shots are falling at a decent percentage instead of the awful percentage they were going. If his jumper goes off again, he'll be back to the horrible Arenas we are used to because he has no quickness.

His quickness doesn't look that bad, my problem is he isn't attacking enough. If he jumper keeps falling he's going to be even more in love with that instead of doing what we need most and where he is most effective. I wish he would just watch video of games where he attacked and looked at the impact it had.

His quickness doesn't look that bad, my problem is he isn't attacking enough. If he jumper keeps falling he's going to be even more in love with that instead of doing what we need most and where he is most effective. I wish he would just watch video of games where he attacked and looked at the impact it had.

Yep. Unfortunately he is not attacking because his hops are not back yet. That is going to take some offseason PT before we really see a difference, but he is slowly getting better.

Arenas hit some shots yesterday, he didn't look any better athletically, & had to play SG exclusively due to matchup problems. I don't think that's an encouraging sign at all.

Matchup problems like JJ being injured?

I haven't seen anything from Gilbert recently that would suggest to me that he is getting better physically. All I saw was a guy that knocked down a few more perimter shots than what he did in February. Which isn't saying much. He played about as bad as a player could play last month.

• Upvote 1