Sign in to follow this  
Arielle

Start Arenas, and you will see a difference ...

I just never understood why we traded Shard for Arenas. Only hope is that the Allan Houston rule comes back in the new CBA or Isiah Thomas becomes the GM of the Knicks again. For those of you that do not know what the Allan Houston rule is: In 1998 when the league went on a lockout and it affected the season, one of the things that went through was that each team was able to terminate one salary. It was called the Allan Houston rule because everyone thought the Knicks would terminate Houston's huge contract at the time but they did not.

I just never understood why we traded Shard for Arenas. Only hope is that the Allan Houston rule comes back in the new CBA or Isiah Thomas becomes the GM of the Knicks again. For those of you that do not know what the Allan Houston rule is: In 1998 when the league went on a lockout and it affected the season, one of the things that went through was that each team was able to terminate one salary. It was called the Allan Houston rule because everyone thought the Knicks would terminate Houston's huge contract at the time but they did not.

Didn't the rule only allow the portion of luxury tax applied from a contract, to be waived..... but thus not actually affecting the salary cap

I'm not sure why we gave up so quickly on Duhon. Yea he wasn't playing great, but he didn't shoot us out of games or make terrible decisions. And he's a decent defender. Oh well.

Exactly. I mean, he was only a backup PG ( we've gone to the Finals with AJ being a backup.... and JWill was not that good in the second half of the season last year ), and at least he was not stealing Jameer minutes.

Also, it's pretty sad that SVG health wasn't considered before pulling the trigger on Gilbert. :P

Back on the OP, I find hilarious that another request for starting Arenas is coming after a game in which he's played just meh, and shooted just horrible. Cannot wait to see the reaction after the first game he'll finally play very well overall (and yes, I'm a Magic fan, so I still hope this game will come, one day or another )

i respect your opinion but the reality of it is gil is not the answer. he is a lose cannon. to win consistently you need a tough, smart, defensive pg. gil is none of the above. i have never thought nelson was a starting pg on a contending team but to replace him with gil would be a huge mistake in my mind until he proves he is worthy. the fact is this team this year is just what you see. i will be surprised to see a big change at this point.

Didn't the rule only allow the portion of luxury tax applied from a contract, to be waived..... but thus not actually affecting the salary cap

Yes you are correct. I'm sure there's going to be a one time salary shredder. I expect this time it'll be more than a luxury tax savings.

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

Pathetic man-animal!

Outside of an acknowledgment that there was such a thing as the amnesty provision, you got every detail in this paragraph wrong! You are cursed with many Thetans!

It was 2005, not '98. It only applied to the luxury tax, not the cap itself. And the salary was still owed to the player.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

Pathetic man-animal!

Outside of an acknowledgment that there was such a thing as the amnesty provision, you got every detail in this paragraph wrong! You are cursed with many Thetans!

It was 2005, not '98. It only applied to the luxury tax, not the cap itself. And the salary was still owed to the player.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

Really? That sucks. I'm just not an NBA nerd like you.

• Downvote 4

At this point you have to try it.

Jameer has played like crap since the trade, he needs a wakeup call, it may also simultaneously ignite Gilbert..lets face it guys, our season rests on TWO players.....Jameer Nelson, and Gilbert Arenas

Really? That sucks. I'm just not an NBA nerd like you.

When you are incorrect, the person who pointed out how you were incorrect is a nerd. hmmmmmmmmm

At this point you have to try it.

Jameer has played like crap since the trade, he needs a wakeup call, it may also simultaneously ignite Gilbert..lets face it guys, our season rests on TWO players.....Jameer Nelson, and Gilbert Arenas

Cool Story Bro

I just never understood why we traded Shard for Arenas.

Shard wasn't tradeable at that point for any other player. But, trading him for the least tradeable player/contract in the entire league should have been accompanied by incentives. I will never agree with Otiz's thinking that Hedo & Arenas were solutions, but I could have supported the effort if he didn't pay a premium for two players their teams were desperate to dump. I can't be convinced Otiz didn't overpay out of desperation & did so out of bias for both players. Lets look at this through a different prism, had both deals been done in the offseason, Washington would have likely given up a littany of assets to swap Arenas for Shard & Hedo could have been acquired for air.

Maybe in a year, when Gil's a bit more in the swing of things, maybe. For now? 'Meer is just a way better PG. The only problem I have with 'Meer is his height, which most teams use to their advantage, but the Magic style of defense of funneling everything into Dwight helps.

The problem is when you have a shooter on the opposing PG team that can just stop and pop a shot over 'Meer. They can't do that to Gil as much.

Then again, 'Meer plays within the offense a lot better than Gil and is a far more intelligent player. 'Meer's weaknesses are overshadowed by his gameplay, bball IQ, and leadership.