Sign in to follow this  
Emperador

Arroyo's contribution with the new system

How about Arroyo and the new system? everyone is talking about the possibility of Arroyo leaving Orlando via trade, but everybody forget about the quick tempo player that Arroyo is. He can contribute big time if the system is fast and with freewill. Good or bad, I dont care, just write about expectations. I have my own idea.

How about Arroyo and the new system? everyone is talking about the possibility of Arroyo leaving Orlando via trade, but everybody forget about the quick tempo player that Arroyo is. He can contribute big time if the system is fast and with freewill. Good or bad, I dont care, just write about expectations. I have my own idea.

Emperador, I am a Arroyo fan, but this has been extensively discussed from all angles pro and con in many threads. The only new angle is the new coach, yet the management has constantly expressed they want the Batman-Robin duet of Howard-Jameer as their flagship. The new coach may be forced in a similar dilemma with Carlos if he stays and out plays Jameer(which he could) and Stan with be forced to sit Jameer. This would create friction between Otis and Stan again. It would be more practical to keep Dooling better defense and 3 point range to back up jameer and have Diener as a third option. If they keep Carlos because he brings fans in, they would have to give him a real chance for the starting position.

I don't think they will let him go, unless there is a very very attractive trade, or it is needed to land one of the Big 2(Carter, Lewis).

I think they saw Nelson struggling a lot, well they both did, under BHill, but we all know what Carlos can do on an open system and when he is left to run his style of offense(on international play and when he led Utah). I am sure ownership knows this. Another thing is that we will see Carlos leading his team again this summer, and we will see and remember again just how good he is, kinda like all the board members saw and where excited about last offseason. This will help our team make a decision.

Nelson is still learning, I have no doubts he can be a good PG, but I am not sure he is the one yet. Just like I am not sure Arroyo is the one. But I think we still need to give both of them a chance in an open system and then judge them. WE DO NOT NEED TO GET RID OF THEM/HIM BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS. We can give it a go, maybe a full month, 15 games or so, if it is not working, find a trade.

I believe our inmediate need is to find a wing scorer, to me preferibly a SG, but could be someone like Lewis at SF. If we get THAT MUCH BETTER at the position our PG's are more than good enough to play and make it work.

they will both play better now that BHill is gone.

I don't know what they will do with Carlos - if he didn't have such a strong following here - I would say he is definitely gone, but with his strong following, they could possibly keep him.

Carlos and Hedo are really the only two tradeable players we have - that another team would want - and the only two Magic players that have decent size contracts to move.

I don't think anyone would take Battie, Maybe someone takes Bogans if you give them a 2nd round pick to take him, people would take Diener, but you may not get much in return and you don't free up any cap space. No one would take Garrity, but I think if you cut him half his salary comes off - I don't think another team would take Garrity even if you give them future second round picks to take him. Maybe you could try to package Garrity with Diener and that maybe a way to move him - if anyone would take Garrity. Then if that were to happen you could possibly keep Arroyo by moving Garrity, but I think that is unlikely.

I agree that we keep Jameer and his contract is small and we don't free up cap space if he were traded. Dwight won't be traded, they need to resign Darko - they could trade Darko, but it would have to be for a major stud like KG or the likes of KG - not likely to happen - unless someone like Gasol wants out - either way it is an expensive player. I want us to keep Darko. Ariza won't be traded and they would get little if JJ were traded - cap space wise and they would like to see him play.

It makes the most sense to trade Hedo and Arroyo - they could trade Dooling instead of Arroyo and he opts out that may be the case, but it makes more sense to me to keep a bigger back up PG for defensive help.

Dooling or Arroyo should be gone, but if you keep both Nelson and Arroyo you have two PG's about the same size - Arroyo being a little bigger, but still small. Arroyo would play better under Van Gundy, but he may not be here - he'll play better elsewhere if they trade him.

Both PG's will play better - I think Jameer has huge upside - more than Arroyo, I think Arroyo has upside as well and some people think he has more upside.

Last year they both suffered playing under Brian Hill and they both played poorly.

quote:
Originally posted by Emperador:

The reason most people say he's gone is his contract, not his play. If Arroyo is going to be a backup player on this team, he's likely a better tool for the magic as a trading chip than a player. This is not a knock on him, just an observation. The same holds true for Keyon Dooling, who has a similar contract situation.

I'd like for the point to remain the same and see how we utilize them, but if there is benefit in trading him, he is the guy I would use, for example, to obtain a G.Wall or R.Lewis.

I think Carlos has played his last game if Dooling does not opt out. If Keyon comes back, SVG will likely use him as the primary backup like he did in Miami. Carlos is a seasoned PG with an expiring contract, two things that makes him most likely to be traded to clear capspace.

arroyos gone(thankfully). dooling wont opt out, he loves svg and knows he will have a huge advantage to get some major minutes next year with stan being coach. plus arroyos one of the few pieces we have available to trade for capspace, which you can bet will happen.

quote:
Originally posted by ufballer86:

arroyos gone(thankfully). dooling wont opt out, he loves svg and knows he will have a huge advantage to get some major minutes next year with stan being coach. plus arroyos one of the few pieces we have available to trade for capspace, which you can bet will happen.

You sound like an insider that never has been outside in the real world. Otis would love to have you as his advisor.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Emperador:

The reason most people say he's gone is his contract, not his play. If Arroyo is going to be a backup player on this team, he's likely a better tool for the magic as a trading chip than a player. This is not a knock on him, just an observation. The same holds true for Keyon Dooling, who has a similar contract situation.

I was gonna post the exact same thing but ya beat me to it. So um.....I agree!