Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Arenas tops underachiever ranks (espn Insider)

(1) Gilbert Arenas, G, Orlando Magic

You often hear about a player needing a change of scenery, as if the new environment will magically transform him into something new and exciting. Many pegged Arenas as a metamorphosis candidate when he got shipped to Orlando. And he has changed ... for the worse.

As a member of the Magic, Arenas hasn't found his former self. Almost impossibly, his shooting has gotten worse. He was at a below-average 50.5 true shooting percentage in Washington and has dipped to a subterranean 46 percent in Orlando. And despite shooting just 30 percent on 3-pointers in a Magic uniform, he's still chucking up six longballs every 36 minutes. There have been only four instances in NBA history in which a regular has shot that poorly and that often over a full season.

Although Arenas has picked up more assists since leaving Washington, remember that he left one of the worst shooting teams in the league to join one of the best. The sad part: As bad as Arenas has played in Orlando, he's still better than the alternative, Chris Duhon. There's still time to salvage what's left of Arenas' career, and the sooner the better because the Magic owe him another $62 million after this season.

Somebody just give me a slither of hope that we'll see his game picking up soon.......

Definitely gonna need him!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=haberstroh_tom&id=6082652

• Upvote 2

Somebody just give me a slither of hope that we'll see his game picking up soon.......

Definitely gonna need him!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=haberstroh_tom&id=6082652

Could you post the full list please? Baron Davis, Antawn Jamison, Mo Williams, Vince Carter, Josh Howard, Charlie Villanueva, Jose Calderon, these guys gotta be in that list.

Junkie, I'll give you credit for equal time/criticism here.

Hey. The ONE good thing about that Memphis loss? At least Arenas completely went off in the 4th quarter. This after having a game off... makes me wonder if the grind of the regular season is just tough on his knees, and affecting his play?

Hopefully that's true, because IF it is, then Arenas could possibly step up big in the playoffs when there's more rest, no back-to-backs, there's almost bound to be a slower pace, etc.

*crosses fingers*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Junkie, I'll give you credit for equal time/criticism here.

Hey. The ONE good thing about that Memphis loss? At least Arenas completely went off in the 4th quarter. This after having a game off... makes me wonder if the grind of the regular season is just tough on his knees, and affecting his play?

Hopefully that's true, because IF it is, then Arenas could possibly step up big in the playoffs when there's more rest, no back-to-backs, there's almost bound to be a slower pace, etc.

*crosses fingers*

He played well, he hardly went off. And he started to force shots like usual after 3-4 good plays.

Also, this was an ESPN article. Had this not been posted, it would have been tumbleweeds from that side of the fence.

I have faith that Arenas can and will turn it around. I've seen glimpses of greatness that still exists ... He will get it together.

Turning it around would imply that he was an efficient scorer before. My hope is that he can be aggressive and bring energy to the 2nd unit, I think those are realistic goals for him.

Could you post the full list please? Baron Davis, Antawn Jamison, Mo Williams, Vince Carter, Josh Howard, Charlie Villanueva, Jose Calderon, these guys gotta be in that list.

It's number one on winning teams not the entire NBA. Its only five players starting with Arenas, Artest, Harrington, Al Jefferson, Jason Kidd. I would post the whole article for you buts insider.

The Feds are already after us for adthe.net. I cannot add ammo to their case.

He really needs to work on his play-by-play shot selection. Sometimes, he sets a great play and kicks out to an open player who shoots a three. The next play he walks up court and hoists up a twenty-five plus foot shot. Shot selection is crucial to this offense but lets not forget the most important thing to a contender, defense.

The perimeter defense has been non intimidating. It looks like the opposing team is throwing up practice shots. There is no effort to contest on a large amount of plays and I've seen players watch the player take that shot. With offensive performances average or even struggling players are making against us, I have become a believer that they will make those shots. Especially with the game at a single digit differential for most of the quarters.

The play of basic fundamentals and knowledge about the game was worse then I've seen in the past two years. In the previous match, the Magic were insane when driving to the rim and charging through players. Everyone on this team should know not to jump to pass. The effort is lethargic and this time, I expect it to worsen for some odd reason. Its only getting worse.

Theres very few players that have the work ethic and winning mentallity. The players who are consistent at playing their roles rather than forcing the issue. The issue being the shots, the passes, the blackholes, and the main effort to get the guy that shot 10-14 in the last game the ****ing ball. I'm not a fan of these heroic fourth quarters where the Magic give their all to drop the game to single digits and potentially win the game.

I'm not jumping ship when it comes to the coach Van Gundy but the players playing on court haven't made him looked like the coach he truly is...

He did himself in the moment he picked the number 1. That number is cursed here in Orlando.

He's a big fan of Alston. . .

• Upvote 1