Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

HoopsWorld writer claims source told him Vince is a "lock" for the Magic

I keep going back and forth on this free agent thing. One day I want Carter, the next day I want Wallace and then on another day I want Rashard Lewis. I actually think for what our team needs Vince's game is the best fit and most importantly because he plays the 2 guard and it's his natural position. I just hope the price is right! Anyways, time will tell and with July 1 only 22 days away it won't be long now before we figure out who the new additions to our roster will be.

Take this article for what it's worth but the writer here feels as if Vince is a lock for Orlando:

quote:

The call from Orlando was crystal clear. No static whatsoever. The words were crisp and assertive. Still, I couldn't believe my ears. The voice, or source, on the other end of the line repeatedly stressed how Vince Carter "will" be inked by the Magic as a free agent this summer.

And unlike Billy Donovan, Carter plans on staying.

Then it hit me like a Robert Horry hip-check. What exactly is Rod Thorn's plan if Vince decides to bolt from the swap lands of East Rutherford for sunny Florida? What's the back-up plan? Is there a back-up plan?

Free agent negotiations begin July 1st and the list of pending players who could be searching for new area codes this summer is plenty. Vince Carter is a name that leaps off the page for many teams, especially the Orlando Magic who are well under the salary cap and would love to lure the Nets guard south with some duckets. But the list doesn't start or even get close to ending with Carter.

The last thing the New Jersey Nets want is to be left in the dark if Vince Carter goes elsewhere, regardless if it is Orlando or not. And certainly there are few more notable free agents that are more appealing at the three spot where Desmond Mason deserves the nod and a phone call from the Nets.

Another Vince thread, sorry. Thought you guys would still enjoy the read.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22245.shtml

I keep going back and forth on this free agent thing. One day I want Carter, the next day I want Wallace and then on another day I want Rashard Lewis. I actually think for what our team needs Vince's game is the best fit and most importantly because he plays the 2 guard and it's his natural position. I just hope the price is right! Anyways, time will tell and with July 1 only 22 days away it won't be long now before we figure out who the new additions to our roster will be.

Take this article for what it's worth but the writer here feels as if Vince is a lock for Orlando:

quote:

The call from Orlando was crystal clear. No static whatsoever. The words were crisp and assertive. Still, I couldn't believe my ears. The voice, or source, on the other end of the line repeatedly stressed how Vince Carter "will" be inked by the Magic as a free agent this summer.

And unlike Billy Donovan, Carter plans on staying.

Then it hit me like a Robert Horry hip-check. What exactly is Rod Thorn's plan if Vince decides to bolt from the swap lands of East Rutherford for sunny Florida? What's the back-up plan? Is there a back-up plan?

Free agent negotiations begin July 1st and the list of pending players who could be searching for new area codes this summer is plenty. Vince Carter is a name that leaps off the page for many teams, especially the Orlando Magic who are well under the salary cap and would love to lure the Nets guard south with some duckets. But the list doesn't start or even get close to ending with Carter.

The last thing the New Jersey Nets want is to be left in the dark if Vince Carter goes elsewhere, regardless if it is Orlando or not. And certainly there are few more notable free agents that are more appealing at the three spot where Desmond Mason deserves the nod and a phone call from the Nets.

Another Vince thread, sorry. Thought you guys would still enjoy the read.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22245.shtml

Its a tough one, I would personally prefer Lewis out of all 3 but I think we need a 2 more than anything else.

If we had Lewis or GWall it would mean someone was going to be played out of position, I dont think Ariza is the right guy to fill the 2 spot and wouldnt want him to be 3rd string behind Lewis/Wallace and GHill.

If that were the situation it would mean our only true 2 guards were Bogans and Redick, I would love to see JJ given the shot but with Jameer at point I cant see it working.

On the other hand if VC comes in it immediately means JJ is a lock for the bench and realistically what minutes will he see!?

I dont envy Otis decision here but any of the three would immediately improve this team!

A big part of me would love to see JJ and Ariza just give a chance at starting positions but its a bit to risky at the moment!!

The Magic are in a great position. We have the opportunity to land Vince, Rashard, or Wallace. I also struggle with this FA.

Carter is the best fit for our team and we wouldn't have to give up a lot to get him. I also think we can get the "hometown" discount for Carter.

Rashard has the most deadly shot and will punish teams for doubling Dwight or Darko (but we have JJ for that). 'Shard is also entering his prime so he will get better all around. However, I think Lewis will be the most expensive of them all.

Wallace is just a freak athlete. The best defensive player available. He will be our lock down defender and still get his 20+ pts. His price tag is affordable too.

I can't wait to see what Otis does.

Also, here's some food for thought. Of the 3 FAs we are targeting, Rashard is the only one to opt out of his contract.

This is the worst kept secret in the NBA, VC has no intentions on returning to the Nets. He knows his best chance to win a championship is with Dwight and he won't have to carry the Magic like he does the Nets.

I don't think JJ is a starting SG, but could be used very much like Ginobelli in SA. Come off the bench and let VC slide over to SF, he can help spread the floor when Battie is on the floor to give Dwight and Darko breaks.

I think Hedo and Carlos will be moved for capspace. Giving us this lineup.

PG - Jameer

SG - VC

SF - Ariza

PF - Darko

C - Dwight

Rotate in Battie, JJ, Dooling at PG, Bogans at SF, Gortat and Augie when needed.

What if we didnt sign anyone? And waited to use the money next summer? Is there anyone there that would be a better fit. Rip Hamilton, Gilbert Arenas, Tim Duncan, and Corey Magghette will all be available unrestricted. It would take some creative extensions for Darko and Dwight I think, but maybe not. Just some food for thought. I would hate to spend money just to spend it. Vince is NOT the right guy.

bhnole I'm hoping for VC as well since he can slide from SG to SF position as needed and provide more playing time for JJ & Trevor. However I cant imagine Bogans being our backup SF, I think that's gonna be either Hill or some new guy, Bogans is probably gone together with Hedo and Carlos. Of course everything depends on who we get as our scorer.

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

What if we didnt sign anyone? And waited to use the money next summer? Is there anyone there that would be a better fit. Rip Hamilton, Gilbert Arenas, Tim Duncan, and Corey Magghette will all be available unrestricted. It would take some creative extensions for Darko and Dwight I think, but maybe not. Just some food for thought. I would hate to spend money just to spend it. Vince is NOT the right guy.

Not a chance in hell, next summer, Dwight's contract will be extended and will take up most of the cap space, along with Jameer if he is resigned, if noone is signed this summer, Orlando won't have any cap space next summer because of the extentions Dwight and Jameer might be getting.

quote:
I keep going back and forth on this free agent thing. One day I want Carter, the next day I want Wallace and then on another day I want Rashard Lewis.

I'm the same way. I guess at this point all we can do is sit back and wait to see what transpires.

dj you are absolutely right. we do not need another high light flim player who does not provide team smart basketball. what we need is a point who can pass, defend, and make smart decisions. i cant believe you guys dont think jj can be the sg. he brings a lot to the team that doesnt show up in the stats. most notably you wil see it in the win the game stat. after all i think that is what we are all looking for right!!!!!!jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by random:

bhnole I'm hoping for VC as well since he can slide from SG to SF position as needed and provide more playing time for JJ & Trevor. However I cant imagine Bogans being our backup SF, I think that's gonna be either Hill or some new guy, Bogans is probably gone together with Hedo and Carlos. Of course everything depends on who we get as our scorer.

The top eight guys get most of the minutes, I have Gortat, Bogans and Augie playing spot minutes as needed depending on who we are facing. If Grant Hill comes back then he can play 20 mpg and be fresh for the postseason.