Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Arenas and Van Gundy Struggle to Find Common Ground

I'm not giving up on him yet. I think it's very difficult to be consistent when you are used to playing 30+ min a night and all of the sudden you're playing around 20.

I'm not giving up on him yet. I think it's very difficult to be consistent when you are used to playing 30+ min a night and all of the sudden you're playing around 20.

It's also really hard to be consistent when you've never been consistent.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

He's even admitted that in Washington, they didn't run plays and have sets, they just played ball.

You know what else the never did in Washington? Contend for an NBA Championship.

This is the regular season. This is where we iron out our play. Who cares if it takes a couple of losses to get him to play the way we want him to. If we dont do this now, its gonna hurt come playoff time.

Expand his minutes, loosen the leash, and let's figure out how to utilize him. Simple as that.

Past history with Stan should tell you this will not happen. Guys don't get free reign on the court to play however they wish. They earn the system, and their role on the team, and they earn their playing time. Once he starts dropping his bad habits, then Stan will start giving him more playing time.

I don't know, guys. In my opinion, there are other things that factor into the reasons why Gil is not playing up to his capabliities (other than Stan). Sure, the guy is nervous.

1. Gil is uncomfortable because before his injuries and the drafting of John Wall, he was "the guy" on the Wizards team. They had some pretty good seasons when he, Caron Butler, and Antawn Jamison were all healthy.

2. There was no dominant center on the Wizards team and the style of play was totally different than the Magic's (no inside/out).

3. Gil can't find his rhythm because with Bass playing PF (in addition to not being a 3 pt. shooter), and plays in and around the paint to post up and or attempt 15 footers, it's difficult for him (Gil) to do his thing because things get a little cluttered in and around the paint.

3. Gil was use to having the ball in his hands. Now, at times, he is expected to defer to Hedo.

4. As one poster said, it will be difficult for Gil to find his rhythm if he does not get enough playing time.

5. Stan needs to find a way to get Gil going, because I think he can pay big dividends down the stretch.

*As a side note*

I also noticed that when Gil joined the team, Jameer didn't seem too happy. He appeared to be tentative and passive when on the court. Behind the scenes, there may have been some grumbling and concerns as to how this was going to work between Gil and Jameer.

So, now, Gil has become hesitant because he does not want to "upset the apple cart". Remember what Carter said when he first joined the Magic? He said that he just wanted to fit in.

Edit: Over the years, when I'm visiting in the Washington D.C. area, I have watched a lot of the Wizards games when they play other teams in the league, as well as when they play the Magic.

Listen to yourself. Everything is the fault of everyone else. Does Gilbert not have to take responsibility for his own bad habits and difficulty adjusting to his new team and his new role?

If you want to win a few games and feel good during the regular season, cut the leash, let Arenas free to play "his game" and give him minutes. If you want to win in the playoffs and really contend for a title, then he needs to be broken of his bad habits, learn the plays and defensive schemes, just like every other player on this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

every team plays the magic with defensive intensity. they put a high price on beating a top team. gil is use to not being pressured or playing a lick of defense. if he was injuried he would not be playing. he needs to pick up his energy, play intense like it really mattered, and be a playmaker.

Stan holding him back

Probably holding him back from shooting 20 shots and scoring 19 points every night.

Stan is your master and you must follow his instructions to be successful in the Magic offense. Van Gundy isn't going anywhere anytime soon so Gilbert needs to make his adjustments now or never.

Last night was a better not in terms of shot selection for Arenas. He took higher percentage shots and had one shot blocked. Most of his passes were great passes in which the receiving player didn't score or a hockey assist and non score. Arenas had one lousy turnover which went off a Philly player's shin.

No one is free from criticism when it comes to Stan and you can always get better (See Popovich). Gilbert Arenas has some hiccups on possessions where his passing is lousy or his passing is outstanding. His defense is okay compared to Jameer but I don't expect him to have a mentality of a stopper. The mind of a players thats under too much pressure is what I'm witnessing on court. I think his personal problems are effecting his focus.

Release some tension.

Gilbert will be fine, he is not hurting the team. If he was getting more minutes maybe he would be hurting the team, but at 15 mins a game maybe you so called Magic fans should stop complaining, fact of the matter is he is not losing games for the Magic. He is the least of my concerns as a Magic fan at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Gilbert will be fine, he is not hurting the team. If he was getting more minutes maybe he would be hurting the team, but at 15 mins a game maybe you so called Magic fans should stop complaining, fact of the matter is he is not losing games for the Magic. He is the least of my concerns as a Magic fan at the moment.

I don't see anyone complaining and saying he should be benched. The only complaints about his playing time are coming from people who think he needs more burn at this point. I think Stan is doing a great job of managing him at this point, and as Arenas starts to make better decisions, his playing time will increase.

It's also really hard to be consistent when you've never been consistent.

in 04-05 he averaged 25.5ppg, 5.1 assists and 40.9 FG%

iin 05-06 he averaged 29.3ppg, 6.0 assists and 44.7 FG%

in 06-07 he averaged 28.4ppg, 6.0 assists and 41.8 FG%

3 years prior to that he was on a bad team and putting up decent numbers. After 06-07 with all his injury problems and off the court issues he's sucked pretty bad, but again it's been due to all those issues.

You're right....Way too inconsistent!