Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Arenas and Van Gundy Struggle to Find Common Ground

I love Stan's honesty and I would expect it to get better. Arenas has been nothing short of horrid in the last couple of weeks so hopefully he just becomes more comfortable because he will be needed.

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy knows exactly what's wrong with his recently-acquired point guard Gilbert Arenas.

It's the coaching.

Arenas, who was elated with being traded from Washington to Orlando last month, has shown little of the spark he was expected to provide for the Magic, looking more uncomfortable as the season progresses.

Except for that one big game against Cleveland, when he had 22 points and 11 assists, Arenas hardly has looked like the game changer he was expected to be.

"Gil is struggling right now, and the biggest thing he is struggling with now is me,'' said Van Gundy. "I'm harder on point guards than anyone else. He's not playing with a great deal of enthusiasm. He's not enjoying playing. And I'm a big reason. There is an adjustment he's going to have to make.''

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/20/gilbert-arenas-stan-van-gundy-still-struggling-to-find-common-g/

This can either be a really good thing in the end, where arenas finds a new style of gameplay or this can be really bad thing, where arenas will continue to struggle throughout the year.

But the thing is even though arenas is not pushing the best of him atm he is still better than duhon.

I was very concerned when Jameer got injured last night. A potential Arenas/Duhon rotation terrifies me.

wait, what? jameer injured?!!!

he got clipped by a sixer on an illegal screen (of course that went uncalled) and went back to the locker room near the end of the first half. 2nd half came along and he returned and looked okay

It's not easy to play when you have to think about every shot you take and every pass you make (Stan will be watching you) and decide whether or not it is the right choice. Unfortunately when you develope bad habits someone has to reign you in. This was what I was concerned about, how do you teach shot selection and decision making in under a season to a guy that has been around for years? Hopefully he is receptive to feedback or we really will need Otis to have sit downs with him.

It's not easy to play when you have to think about every shot you take and every pass you make (Stan will be watching you) and decide whether or not it is the right choice. Unfortunately when you develope bad habits someone has to reign you in. This was what I was concerned about, how do you teach shot selection and decision making in under a season to a guy that has been around for years? Hopefully he is receptive to feedback or we really will need Otis to have sit downs with him.

That's the thing. We knew what we were getting ourselves into when we acquired Arenas. We knew he'd put up bad shots, he'd have dumb turnovers. However, in the midst of all that, we were hoping that he'd be the guy attacking the basket and taking over games offensively. The problem is that he's being punished for the bad shots and turnovers before he can get into a rhythm and do what he does best. He's even admitted that in Washington, they didn't run plays and have sets, they just played ball.

It seems like Stan is trying to have Gilbert become a player that he's not and never has been. You live with the bad with a guy like Arenas because he's a very talented player capable of carrying a team. He's like a robot out there afraid to do anything.

• Upvote 1