Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

What more do you want from J. Nelson ? (commentary)

Because John Paxson, Kenny Smith, and Derek Fisher were all super dominant pass first, great defending point guards Marc. Jesus.

And please don't forgot all the titles that all-world point guards Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and great veterans like Mark Jackson, and John Stockton won.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because John Paxson, Kenny Smith, and Derek Fisher were all super dominant pass first, great defending point guards Marc. Jesus.

2 of those guys had dominant big men, and one of those guys had one of the best players in the league at the time...or ever.

If only we had something like that to go along with Jameel Neilsen.

Arenas is big enough and quick enough to get into the lane and get fouled, something we have been dieing for and yet Jameer is the guy who is more likely to go at the basket and Gilbert is more likely to pull up in midrange and shoot a jumper in traffic. I just don't get it.

This may just be my bias settling in, but the dude just isn't getting calls. The few times he has driven to the basket hard (4-5 times), he has initiated some degree of contact, but to no avail. That will demoralize anyone who was otherwise a willing driver, as it did to Vince against Boston. He's just not one of those pregame "guys" the officials protect when driving to the basket anymore.

He has also lost a step, severely. Whether he gets that step, or at least some of it back, is the real question.

Respect for point guards doesn’t come easy.....by Zach Lowe of SI.com

There is a weird trend going on in Orlando, where some fans have grown tired of a point guard who is shooting 40 percent from three-point range, dishing assists at a career-high rate and proving he’s willing to share ball-handling duties with Hedo Turkoglu.

Jameer Nelson is too short!

He’s hurting the team on defense!

He’s not shooting as well as he did two years ago!

Bench Nelson and start Gilbert Arenas!

This is misguided, and not only because Arenas is shooting 37 percent with the Magic and Nelson’s reliable three-point shot allows him to credibly play off the ball while Turkgolu handles it. It reminds me a lot of the early-season hand-wringing in New York over Raymond Felton. It was about only six weeks ago that folks were getting on Felton for his allegedly shaky pick-and-roll play — even as the Knicks were one of the half-dozen most efficient pick-and-roll teams in the league. Now Felton is one of the darlings of the league, directing a dangerous pick-and-roll attack and contending for an All-Star spot.

Orlando and New York fans aren’t alone in scrutinizing their point guards a bit harder than they do players at other positions. Talk to fans in Detroit, Indiana, Portland, Toronto, Charlotte, New Jersey and many other places, and you’ll hear praise of a point guard immediately qualified by a list of his flaws.

And it’s fine to be hard on your players; they’re pros, and they’re making a ton of money. They should be really good at a lot of things!

But the rise of the point guard in the NBA has created a strange dynamic where fans look at what the best point guards are doing and ask themselves, “Why can’t my guy do that?” I’ve written before about how the early-season criticism of Felton — delivered even as the Knicks were scoring well — seemed to be based on the fact that he wasn’t Steve Nash or Deron Williams or Chris Paul or Derrick Rose or Rajon Rondo. The criticism of Nelson feels about the same.

But what is Nelson (or Felton) supposed to do? Become Chris Paul? Become one of the top three point guards in the league?

That’s not going to happen. And your favorite team is not going to suddenly find the next Paul or Rose in January. The Hornets and Jazz ended up with Paul and Williams because they were awful in 2004-05 and got extraordinarily lucky in how the lottery unfolded. Andrew Bogut was in the same draft, and the Bucks did what most teams would have done with the No. 1 overall pick: They took a cornerstone big man. Then the Hawks screwed up and took Marvin Williams at No. 2, leaving fans in New Orleans and Utah (picking at No. 3 after a draft-day trade with Portland) to argue for years to come about who had the NBA’s best point guard.

And Rose? The Bulls got him after winning the first pick despite having only the ninth-worst record in the league and a 1.7 percent chance of winning the draft lottery.

Rondo? The Celtics swiped him from a Phoenix team perpetually looking to save cash. Danny Ainge had targeted him for months (at least) despite Rondo’s shaky jumper and well-known concerns about his attitude. Ainge was one of the few GMs who looked at Rondo and saw an unconventional star. Nobody thought Steve Nash would be this good when the Suns nabbed him with the 15th pick in the 1996 draft.

It takes a rare combination of luck, draft acumen and being absolutely horrible at the right time in order to land an all-world point guard. Just because we’re in the golden age of the point guard doesn’t mean the pretty good one who’s on your team is a worthless hack. Especially not ones like Nelson.

http://nba-point-for...esnt-come-easy/

Nice article

This may just be my bias settling in, but the dude just isn't getting calls. The few times he has driven to the basket hard (4-5 times), he has initiated some degree of contact, but to no avail. That will demoralize anyone who was otherwise a willing driver, as it did to Vince against Boston. He's just not one of those pregame "guys" the officials protect when driving to the basket anymore.

He has also lost a step, severely. Whether he gets that step, or at least some of it back, is the real question.

I think he can still do it, he was getting to the line 6 times a game last year before the gun suspension.

We went to the finals with some random pg who Magic fans never even bring up anymore. I don't even think he's in the league now.

I want Orlando to win the ship with Jameer as pg soo bad.

Truth is, Jameer probably should have saved those couple of shots in the 4th for J-Rich. I think he needs to see the ball alot more in the 4th. But like BMP, Meer usually makes those shots. And I'd take Meer and his 11% shooting over Wince 365 days a year. It's nice to know despite our team playing like crap, we can still only lose by a combined 3 points in a back to back on the road against 2 tough teams.

I hate when you make excuses for this team for losing. Just call it what it is: team shoulda played better, they need to play harder.

• Downvote 1

My only complaint is that he seems to want to be the hero every night and make the big shot. If he was shooting something like 4-8 before the big shot fine but man when your off and we have Richardson standing around I would prefer the ball to be sent his way.

I am not a big fan of Jameer but making a scapegoat out of one player for the late loses is just not right.

OKC played exceptionally good basketball, were good in transition and ran back very well after turnovers and lost rebounds. I cannot remember if Magic had a fast-break point at all in the whole game whereas OKC definitely had a few. They were also shooting the lights out, whereas 3 Magic starters had less than 10 pts. each, and combined for 31% shooting. OKC starters on the other scored way beyond their season averages. Their worst scorer, Sefolosha, was shooting 100% from the field!!! That it was even a close game is almost a miracle and a sign that Magic will become better over time. The “trade” was just 3 weeks ago. Give these guys some time to gel before asking for Meer’s head.

At the moment it is Bass’ I am more concerned about esp. at the defensive end, but probably that’s just me.

Well, there's probably at least 4 threads about it on RealGM.

I only read there periodically....after this comment I thought I'd check....here's some topics they have on the front board as I type this:

"START ARENAS"

"Stan's love affair with Jameer"

"What more do you want from Jameer Nelson"

"Jameer appreciation thread"

And last but not least......" See, This Is The Reason Jameer Gets On My G.D. Nerves "

Ha-Ha-Ha....funny stuff !!!

My only complaint is that he seems to want to be the hero every night and make the big shot. If he was shooting something like 4-8 before the big shot fine but man when your off and we have Richardson standing around I would prefer the ball to be sent his way.

Some people call that quality being confident and wanting the ball in your hands at the end of games. That is considered a good quality. Jordan had it and most often had the ball in his hand at the end of games regardless of how he had played up until that point.

The fundamental issue with Jameil Neilsun is the fans: Do they choose to view the glass as half empty or half full? Rather, do they choose to view the glass as 20% empty or 80% full?

PS. And no, I am NOT comparing Nieilsuon to Jordan. I am stating that he has a characteristic in common that is highly desirable in your primary ball handler, a characteristic that made one of the all time greats just that, and that complaining about a good quality is asinine.