Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

SVG Assistants...

I got this off the Miami RealGm site:

quote:
It is possible Van Gundy seeks permission to bring some of his former Heat staff with him. Van Gundy had grown particularly close to Bob McAdoo and Keith Askins during his Heat coaching tenure, with the two now serving on Riley's staff. Van Gundy also is close with Erik Spoelstra, but Riley's lead assistant is now viewed as Riley's eventual successor.

Magicmaninmiami, what's the 411 on these guys? Also, who do you think is willing to come from the Heat organization?

I got this off the Miami RealGm site:

quote:
It is possible Van Gundy seeks permission to bring some of his former Heat staff with him. Van Gundy had grown particularly close to Bob McAdoo and Keith Askins during his Heat coaching tenure, with the two now serving on Riley's staff. Van Gundy also is close with Erik Spoelstra, but Riley's lead assistant is now viewed as Riley's eventual successor.

Magicmaninmiami, what's the 411 on these guys? Also, who do you think is willing to come from the Heat organization?

I thought that assistant were free to go where they want, when they want? They have no obligation to stay...

Correct me if im wrong

McAdoo would be a great assistant to come with Van Gundy. He'd be a nice big man coach for Dwight. Mac was a smooth big man with great post and offensive moves. He could definately teach Dwight a thing or to.

If the assistants are still under contract with the Heat, I doubt Riles will let them out considering the whole compensation thing.

quote:
Originally posted by MarleyMon81:

McAdoo would be a great assistant to come with Van Gundy. He'd be a nice big man coach for Dwight. Mac was a smooth big man with great post and offensive moves. He could definately teach Dwight a thing or to.

If the assistants are still under contract with the Heat, I doubt Riles will let them out considering the whole compensation thing.

McAdoo is exactly the type of coach that we've been talking about getting to help Dwight. I'm not sure what his track record is but I'm sure Dwight can learn alot from him. I don't think assistants have clauses in their contracts that allow a team to ask for compensation. Assistants move relatively freely from team to team.

If anyone knows are assistants year to year people or do they sign multi-year deals or is it a blend of both??

I dug this little tid-bit up......

"The Heat emperor has all but promised his successor will rise out of his own staff, with Erik Spoelstra and Bob McAdoo the candidates. In the Van Gundy mold, Spoelstra is a gym rat non-player, but how does Riley sell choosing him over McAdoo, a Hall of Famer who has apprenticed for years under Riles?"

looks like Riley is grooming these guys to be his successor... Man that would really stick in his side if they came over here....and it would leave the Miami oraganization staggering to see the past 10-14 yrs of work run out the door in one singular week.

Jack "Believe" Daniels found this article which has mention of SVG salary and a lil blurb about maybe bringin on some guys....

Van Gundy joined the Heat as an assistant coach on Sept. 20, 1995 and took over from Riley as coach on Oct. 24, 2003. He left as Heat coach December 12, 2005, after recording a 112-73 record in his two-plus seasons as coach.

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@sun-sentinel.com.

view the entire article here or just head over to the thread titled - 4yrs---16 million?

Like Marleymon said I really don't see this happening. Maybe Keith Askins who was a hard nose player who might teach players something on defense but I'd be stunned if Riley released Mcadoo to come and teach Dwight. Even I Think Riley would be crazy to consent. Mcadoo would probably come too if given the opportunity. Its widely held he is not the next in line to take over the Heat (maybe Riley lets him go out of fairness because of that? Hmmm. Nah its Riley).

No generally you don't get pick for assistant coaches so Riley will just flat out say no. Look for Stan to take a look at his brother's jeff left over staff. Another intiguing option would be to try and get Brian Shaw (Heat connection as well). I don't think he has any chance of being promoted where he is.

OF course its wide open. I had no idea Stan and Donovan were friends so who knows who Stan is close to outside of the Heat. He was offered the Indy job weeks ago so I bet he has a good idea of who he wants and can get.