Captain Hi-Top

Do Magic's Big Deals Improve Their Team?

It's funny because I remember that tool trying to pretend he was actually a legit Magic fan and not just a VC fanboy.

Looking at some posts, it's obvious the VC fanboys are worse than Hedo's ever were. They're pretty much on Arroyo fanboy status of delusion.

Yes, Gilbert can "create his own shot". Only problem is when he actually takes the shot he shoots 39% FG, 32% from three. :lol:

If I have such a terrible shooter on my team I want him shooting as little as possible. But I'm sure Gilbert will jack up 10+ shots/game.

• Downvote 1

To the thread starter....Hollinger and Stein agree with you on your assessment of Otis doing the Arenas deal.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: All I can add to what I wrote Saturday is that a lot of times familiarity isn't necessarily a good thing, and I think this might be one of those times. Otis Smith basically chose the devil he knows in Gilbert Arenas, but I have to wonder if doing so blinded him to some better alternatives. The main benefit of the trade -- replacing Rashard Lewis with Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson -- was available without ever calling up the Wizards. Meanwhile, there were players available in the trade market who come with far less financial and locker room risk than Arenas but are just as productive.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: I'm usually a fan of bold and proactive and Orlando was certainly both with this deal. Kudos to the Magic for going through with their shakeup in mid-December -- as opposed to mid-February -- to give the new crew more time to find some chemistry before the playoffs. But put me firmly in the camp of those questioning why Magic president Otis Smith felt the need to do both trades. Bringing in J-Rich and Hedo, to me, would have been a sufficiently drastic change.

Especially if you believe, as I do, that Hedo will be rejuvenated not only by reuniting with Dwight Howard -- who was as important to Hedo's original Orlando success as Hedo's versatility was to Dwight's -- but because he needs Stan Van Gundy riding him to play his best. The Arenas part, though, is a needlessly risky step too far for me.

It makes the whole thing so much more of a desperate dice roll with potentially catastrophic consequences, for both Smith and the franchise as a whole, if it doesn't lead to a championship. And how much has Orlando really closed the gap here on the Lakers and Celtics?

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101220/daily-dime

Im going to wait before I make a judgement on Arenas, although his career shooting numbers are not that impressive, he has never had a big man like dwight to play with..

I dont know why everyone is so focused on offense, I'm panicking about the defense atleast, everyone knows that you cant outrun teams in long playoff series, you will hit a slump at some point and that's when you need that D.

To the thread starter....Hollinger and Stein agree with you on your assessment of Otis doing the Arenas deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101220/daily-dime

I'm shocked, Junkie. Not that they agree with what I said, but that you saw that, and posted it here. You've surprised me.

Thanks.

We know what Otis did is a gamble. I'm excited of the POSSIBILITY that this move COULD re-invigorate Gilbert Arenas into the super player that he was. I'm glad he was BOLD enough to now give us not 1 but 2 legit playmakers in the team. We are now taller in the backcourt with more POTENTIAL firepower. The defense will figure itself out because of Stan's system.

True, Otis gambled. But this is a better gamble than giving one player in Lewis the max max salary which I never agreed with. He brought us 3 players who have excellent IQ into a contender team that has a man named Dwight Howard. I am hoping and praying Otis's gamble works out and proves Stein and Hollinger wrong. He risked it all, and I hope it pans out for all of us ...

Either way, I am very very very happy to be rid of Carter and Lewis whose consistent inconsistency AND wincing AND LACK OF PASSION has been cancer to this team. We acquired players with chips on their shoulder. They have something to prove.

Let's give these guys a shot starting tonight. Go Magic!

We know what Otis did is a gamble. I'm excited of the POSSIBILITY that this move COULD re-invigorate Gilbert Arenas into the super player that he was. I'm glad he was BOLD enough to now give us not 1 but 2 legit playmakers in the team. We are now taller in the backcourt with more POTENTIAL firepower. The defense will figure itself out because of Stan's system.

True, Otis gambled. But this is a better gamble than giving one player in Lewis the max max salary which I never agreed with. He brought us 3 players who have excellent IQ into a contender team that has a man named Dwight Howard. I am hoping and praying Otis's gamble works out and proves Stein and Hollinger wrong. He risked it all, and I hope it pans out for all of us ...

Either way, I am very very very happy to be rid of Carter and Lewis whose consistent inconsistency AND wincing AND LACK OF PASSION has been cancer to this team. We acquired players with chips on their shoulder. They have something to prove.

Not to be a glass half empty guy but I'm concerned because there was a possibility that the last big move we made could have re-invigorated Vince because he was coming to his hometown team that he always wanted to play for. The difference being that a bad Vince simply doesn't add to your offense when you need him, a bad Gilbert sucks the life out of your ball movement. I remember what Steve Francis was like, this has the potential to be that situation again.

While I'm on board with giving these guys a shot, I'm afraid of the honeymoon phase if you know what I mean. The accusations of cancerous, lack of passion, injury prone.....those sentiments aren't just coming from Magic-land after these trades were complete.

I was going to see them in ATL tonight, but I think I'll watch it at home. I really just wanted to meet MP.... :unsure:

Xavier (Detroit)

What's with Van Gundy's love for Jameer Nelson? It makes more sense for Nelson to come off the bench. Truthfully, shouldn't he be moved for another big? e.g. Thompson in Sacramento.

Chris Sheridan (2:19 PM)

Jameer is more of a glue guy than a point guard that is going to overwhelm you with stats, and he certainly can run hot and cold. What I like about the two trades is that they imported a combo guard (Arenas) who can run the point when Nelson is sitting/ineffective, and a forward (Turkoglu) whose best days came when he played point forward when J.Nelson was sidelined during their run to the finals two years ago. That's two guys you can run the offense through who are not as limited in skills as Lewis and Carter were.