Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

ESPN: NBA Power Rankings Oct. 25

Wow. . .

So what you're saying is that had we lost a few games you'd think differently?

If you ain't first your last.

Wow. . .

So what you're saying is that had we lost a few games you'd think differently?

What the hell?

No, what I am saying is that nothing has changed YET for me to think that this year will be different from last year. Everything, as of now, is still the same. When the regular season comes and Vince isn't wincing, then maybe ill expect something different.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

- Einstein

If a more compelling case has been made, I haven't seen it.

I'm with this guy and ball junkie. We need a trade. If we're not getting better, we're getting worse.

Non-homerism FTW.

And the reason your "If we're not getting better, we're getting worse" statement is absolutely correct, at least in this circumstance, is because the East has gotten a whole lot better than last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What the hell?

No, what I am saying is that nothing has changed YET for me to think that this year will be different from last year. Everything, as of now, is still the same. When the regular season comes and Vince isn't wincing, then maybe ill expect something different.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

- Einstein

Non-homerism FTW.

And the reason your "If we're not getting better, we're getting worse" statement is absolutely correct, at least in this circumstance, is because the East has gotten a whole lot better than last year.

And I'm going to give you a big WHOOOOOSSH for missing sarcasm so blatant that it almost slaps you in the face when you read it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What the hell?

- Einstein

The Heat did the same thing over again in their second season with Shad and they won a championship. your point?

Non-homerism FTW.

Duhon > JWill off the bench

Q Rich > Matt Barnes

So although they weren't major upgrades the Magic did get better. And by the way the east isn't a heck of a lot stronger. The Celtics replaced their injured stud of a center with two aging injury prone centers, and also had their big 3 get even further over 35. We essentially replaced the Cavliers with the Heat, who have injury problems already and have no depth in the frontcourt. The only two teams to me that really upgraded are the Bucks and the Bulls, and neither of them were close to the caliber of the Magic anyway.

What did he say differently from the rest of us who think we need to trade Wince in order for us to get to the next level?

I'm ok with you thinking that Vince isn't the answer to our championship goals. Junkie hates 3/5s of our starting lineup and, until last season, our backup shooting guard. He also complains the increase in ticket prices (and apparently he is above sitting a few rows further back for the same price), arena parking, and the lack of preferential treatment he thinks he deserved in the old arena. He turns every personal opinion he has about the Magic in a personal vendetta and he twists every published article about the Magic in a way to further that agenda. So, I would say that pretty much sums up the difference between your opinion (and ones that have a similar opinion) and BJ.

Truth be told, I don't necessarily disagree that Carter needs to be moved. It's not always what is said, it's the way it's said and the person that said it.

Jackie was being facetious, and this team looks absolutely NOTHING like it did last preseason. If anything, the team looks like it did when it was at its peak (post All-Star break), and if the team continues to play that way, there's absolutely no reason to expect it to be at the ECF again, and as long as there's no collapse, a team playing at that level will not lose. It's not homerism, it's a fact that the Magic were the best team in the NBA for that half and were putting up nearly historic numbers.

It was unfortunate Lewis had that viral disease and the team wasn't consistent against Boston, but because the team again went undefeated in the preseason doesn't mean the same results will happen. That's just stupid.

As far as the "formula" this team is actually different than last year. First of all, the team looked like crap in the 1st half of the year, including the first quarter. The chemistry wasn't there, Lewis was suspended, and Nelson got hit with the injury. The team didn't flow well and there was no cohesiveness. The same cannot be said this year. Even in preseason, you see that continuity will definitely help. As far as your Einstein quote goes, I guess the Lakers should've given up after 2008 and broken up that team because it was "insanity" to keep the triangle with Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum and Odom. I guess Miami and Riley should've traded Shaq in 2006 because it didn't work in 2005.

Nothing wrong with continuity in basketball, in fact, it's good to have it. It's good to build chemistry and work well as a team. We're not trading Carter for anything short of a game changer, which is highly unlikely, but that doesn't mean the team will just lose. The thing here is to keep Carter involved in the offense for in rhythm shots and ride him if he's hot, as well as try to take away his bad habits. His second year he will at least be more in tune with the team offense and defensive schemes, and while it's unrealistic to expect him to be a 20ppg scorer, it's indeed realistic to expect him to have a few off nights, a few nights where he can't miss, but most importantly to try to take him a moderate amount of shots (a bit less than last year) while being efficient.

The East has also not gotten that much better. Cleveland went from a top team to a mediocre team, and Toronto went from bad to awful. 76ers aren't any better, Knicks barely got any better (same with the Nets), Bobcats got worse, Pacers are okay. I'd say Boston got better but it's hard to say that. Big 3 are even older, no Perkins for nearly half the season, they lost their defensive coach, Tony Allen, and most importantly, they don't have Scalabrine. . . ATL aren't any better, Bulls are better but a second round exit team.

The Heat and Boston are the two teams the Magic should even have any problem with in the East, one of those teams didn't really get any better and we have yet to see how the Heat will look with Wade/Bron/Bosh/Miller/Haslem, so I won't even say anything about them yet.

• Upvote 6

Also, not to add any more criticism to the people claiming we are the same as last preseason, but lets be honest, dwight looks alot better on offense. If hes consistent and as improved offensively as the preseason suggests, we are in a much better situation than at the same time last year.

Jackie was being facetious, and this team looks absolutely NOTHING like it did last preseason. If anything, the team looks like it did when it was at its peak (post All-Star break), and if the team continues to play that way, there's absolutely no reason to expect it to be at the ECF again, and as long as there's no collapse, a team playing at that level will not lose. It's not homerism, it's a fact that the Magic were the best team in the NBA for that half and were putting up nearly historic numbers.

It was unfortunate Lewis had that viral disease and the team wasn't consistent against Boston, but because the team again went undefeated in the preseason doesn't mean the same results will happen. That's just stupid.

As far as the "formula" this team is actually different than last year. First of all, the team looked like crap in the 1st half of the year, including the first quarter. The chemistry wasn't there, Lewis was suspended, and Nelson got hit with the injury. The team didn't flow well and there was no cohesiveness. The same cannot be said this year. Even in preseason, you see that continuity will definitely help. As far as your Einstein quote goes, I guess the Lakers should've given up after 2008 and broken up that team because it was "insanity" to keep the triangle with Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum and Odom. I guess Miami and Riley should've traded Shaq in 2006 because it didn't work in 2005.

Nothing wrong with continuity in basketball, in fact, it's good to have it. It's good to build chemistry and work well as a team. We're not trading Carter for anything short of a game changer, which is highly unlikely, but that doesn't mean the team will just lose. The thing here is to keep Carter involved in the offense for in rhythm shots and ride him if he's hot, as well as try to take away his bad habits. His second year he will at least be more in tune with the team offense and defensive schemes, and while it's unrealistic to expect him to be a 20ppg scorer, it's indeed realistic to expect him to have a few off nights, a few nights where he can't miss, but most importantly to try to take him a moderate amount of shots (a bit less than last year) while being efficient.

The East has also not gotten that much better. Cleveland went from a top team to a mediocre team, and Toronto went from bad to awful. 76ers aren't any better, Knicks barely got any better (same with the Nets), Bobcats got worse, Pacers are okay. I'd say Boston got better but it's hard to say that. Big 3 are even older, no Perkins for nearly half the season, they lost their defensive coach, Tony Allen, and most importantly, they don't have Scalabrine. . . ATL aren't any better, Bulls are better but a second round exit team.

The Heat and Boston are the two teams the Magic should even have any problem with in the East, one of those teams didn't really get any better and we have yet to see how the Heat will look with Wade/Bron/Bosh/Miller/Haslem, so I won't even say anything about them yet.

This.

The cohesion this team has shown this preseason is what is important and what gives me pause with regard to beings in the "We need to trade now or we fail bandwagon."

Remember, above all, this is a team sport. The best team wins. By the looks of it at this time (albeit after zero meaningful games), it looks like we have the best team since I have been a Magic fan. That is exciting.

+ 1 very well spoken bmp. i agree totally