Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Since we're waiting for the game.......what do you do for a living?

I have always wondered about this but never had the nerve to ask.

I'm also a member of the Miami Hurricanes message boards since they are my favorite team. I know we suck so don't go there please!(lol)

Anyway, this morning I checked their boards, and believe me their's are 10 times more x-rated than ours, I saw a thread entitled....."while we're waiting for the championship what do you do for a living"?

The response was un-believable! From lawyers to college students in the dorm everyone posted.

It was extremely interesting to see what guys that I talk with frequently do. It also made the board seem much more personable and team oriented.

Anyways, thought it was a good idea for us. Also list any sports accolades or accomplishments that you care too. I am very interested in that. We might have some really good ex-players amongst us!

I'll go first:

I'm an elementary public school Coach. Been doing it for 20 years. Yes, I'm old!(lol)

Played high school ball at Montverde Academy. A small private school in Lake County.

Played collegiately at Warner Southern College. A small local school here in Polk County where I live. By the time I was a senior I averaged "27" points a game as the team's shooting guard. Made 2nd team all-southern United States for small colleges.

I attempted to play professionally in Venezuela and had a tryout. It went well but much to my chagrin they only allowed two Americans on each pro team. At that time(mid-80's) the U.S.A. was dominant in hoops so Americans would have taken over. Therefore the 2 Americans they took were usually 6'8 or more. Since I'm only 5'10 I got the axe!

Next!

I have always wondered about this but never had the nerve to ask.

I'm also a member of the Miami Hurricanes message boards since they are my favorite team. I know we suck so don't go there please!(lol)

Anyway, this morning I checked their boards, and believe me their's are 10 times more x-rated than ours, I saw a thread entitled....."while we're waiting for the championship what do you do for a living"?

The response was un-believable! From lawyers to college students in the dorm everyone posted.

It was extremely interesting to see what guys that I talk with frequently do. It also made the board seem much more personable and team oriented.

Anyways, thought it was a good idea for us. Also list any sports accolades or accomplishments that you care too. I am very interested in that. We might have some really good ex-players amongst us!

I'll go first:

I'm an elementary public school Coach. Been doing it for 20 years. Yes, I'm old!(lol)

Played high school ball at Montverde Academy. A small private school in Lake County.

Played collegiately at Warner Southern College. A small local school here in Polk County where I live. By the time I was a senior I averaged "27" points a game as the team's shooting guard. Made 2nd team all-southern United States for small colleges.

I attempted to play professionally in Venezuela and had a tryout. It went well but much to my chagrin they only allowed two Americans on each pro team. At that time(mid-80's) the U.S.A. was dominant in hoops so Americans would have taken over. Therefore the 2 Americans they took were usually 6'8 or more. Since I'm only 5'10 I got the axe!

Next!

Good idea Junkie, although I know what some of us do through different discussions.

I have owned a small business with my Brother in law providing Merchant services for the last five years. Prior to that I was a Commercial loan officer and Office Manager at a publicly traded financial institution.

I am in my early forties and as my id suggests, graduated from FSU with a degree in Economics. Married for 19 years (college sweetheart) and two kids. Been in Orlando (except the college years) since 1980.

I played more football than basketball in my younger years and was once asked to walk-on the FSU football team by the linebacker coach. I turned him down knowing my knee, which I had torn up pretty bad in High school would never never hold up to that kind of punsishment.

I still play in a rec. basketball league and plan to until my knee finally gives out on me.

nice topic...

I kill small kittens that look ugly for a living. I rarely if ever get calls from ppl since most of the kittens look nice but when I do it I get big bucks!

ok, seriosly, no need to leave your private data around the internet, the web is full of privacy leeching bots just waiting to get u some spam and the more info they go on u the better...

Oh come one Mire, I don't think it will be a problem in a little website that not many check, as long as you don't use real personal information. It's good.

I am right now a Senior CAD draftman at my company. It's cool to be the Boss. I've been doing it for about 6 years and have been in my current company for almost 2 years. We do Land Survey work, plans, maps, construction support etc etc. If you ever see the guys down the road measuring stuff, that's a survey crew. I grab their information, and convert it to a drawing. Or I give them information to stake out, and they go out and do it.

I played basketball since I was 11 or 12. I played ball in 9th grade. I was the SG on the team but I was only about 5'-9" then. I can still shoot, now I'm 6'-2" I guess I could have played more, but that wasn't for me. I just played for fun. I was out of Highschool at 16, out of college by 18. I only have a 2 year degree but make more money than my brother that is an Engineer. I'm 25, I feel like 40 sometimes, but only about 18 in my brain. Which is pretty bad, some people expect me do act as an adult, while others want the old inmature guy. So it's kinda hard right now to act right. What is sad is that I'm getting to that stage in life where I rather stay home than go out an have fun.

I also have a home sticker decal business thru ebay and I just created my own website. www.davcivicsdecals.com to sell decals online. I mean I just started it yesterday, so there's only like 3 decals in there right now.

I know live in Lake county, with what appears to be Every single senior citizen of this country, gotta love The Villages.....

oh and of course, my name is David

I'm a computer programmer here in the Orlando area.

Born and raised in Indianapolis, then came to Orlando in '70 during my high school years (yeah, I'm old too). Been here ever since, with the exception of a stint in the Detroit area ('75 - '81).

I love the game, but I am not very athletic. My shooting was, and is, just pitiful. I think that is why Dennis Scott is still my favorite Magic player of all time. Well, either that or because of the cool parties he used to throw.

Anyway, I fall into the nerd category.

Oh, sorry, that was redundant. I already told you I was a programmer.

I am the director of a non-profit organization that offers all types of counseling services. I also run an inner-city mentoring program for fatherless athletes in central FL. Just became an ordained minister, too. Have my B.A. in Business from Wheaton College (Chicago), my M.A. in Counseling from RTS, and am one class away from my M.Div. from RTS. Am 29 years old, been married for 8 years and have two young boys. Actually played tennis throughout high school and college. Born and live in Lake Wales, FL. Soon will be moving to NYC to direct a new non-profit. My teams are the Bucs, Seminoles, and the Magic. Last but certainly not least, Ball Junkie was my YMCA b-ball college when I was about 10.... We went undefeated. He is now a dear friend. Go Magic!!!

Good idea.

Well, I am from Winter Park, and recently graduated from Flagler College in St. Augustine. I played baseball in high school, and was asked to try out for Flagler's baseball team but decided to hang em' up.

Currently, I am a grad student at UCF. I am still looking for the best fit for work (I guess that is just a pretty way to say unemployed), which will most likely be an internship. My undergrad major was Political Science, and my Masters will be in Political Analysis and Policy, so something along those lines.

If things go as planned, I will be working in D.C. for the summer, and following that I will pick my candidate for '08 and work on his/her campaign.

In my spare time I fight crime and move objects with my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Dav, you abandoned Polk County?

DJ, that was hilarious!

Oh yeah, Polk County was 'Aight but not for me. I tried, but things happen. It was more like a work decision, not really that I wanted to move.

I am a member of the management team for the quality assurance department for a communications company here in town(that is the easiest way to explain it!).

I just left my 20's this past year which was a little un-nerving but I haven't grown up yet so I guess it's ok.

I played basketball, volleyball(my brush with stardom was playing volleyball against Vince Carter in high school), and ran track in high school. I used to be able to get up pretty well for my size (I was able to dunk on a 10ft rim at 5-10 and spike straight down within the spike line on the men's nets) but decided that smoking cigarettes was the cool thing to do and I developed Chondramalasia in both knees, so my atheletic ability declined a lot faster than it should have....very dumb decision! I still play occasionally at parks and in rec leagues when the opportunity comes up.