Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

OT: League to expand Technical rules for Refs

As if the Referees already don't have enough power...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5609817

At the referees' annual meeting in Jersey City, N.J., on Thursday, the league announced the guidelines for technical fouls will expand to include "overt" player reactions to referee calls.

Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

Dwight will be suspended by the all star game...

I understand that this rule was implemented to reduce the overall complaining of players. But let's be honest here: It's not like excessive overreactions to referee calls weren't already credited with a tech.

What this rule will do is reduce emotions on the court - which sucks, because sports and emotions go together. The NBA prohibited the Mutombo-finger-wag as well as stare down matches between opposing players and now it forbids the display of frustration with referees... Soon we will have robot-like players running up and down the court.

Also, regarding this statement:

...what our fans want. They tell us in many many ways and I think we have to adjust to meet the needs of our league and our fans.

If they really wanted to adjust to the fans' needs then they should stop excluding referees from any kind of criticism AND they should implement rules against flopping.

The NBA where sensorship happens.

This would not happen in any league outside the US of A. This is sensorship that China and North Korea would be proud of. The only positive to come from this is the clarification of those mystery Tech fouls from last year.

Though as previously mentioned this is going to take one of the best elements away from competition, and thats emotions. The league I play in has one referee that calls Tech fouls on this basis, and when ever we have her as a ref, we have the most unemotional boring games just because we know if we show any form of emotion we will be given a Tech. And if any emotion is shown then she will report you to the tribunal making up a story to try and get you suspended, and this is just a social comp!

David Stern is doing a great job at ruining the best league in the world. But I bet the likes of Kobe and Lebron will be able to get away with anything still... Though I am looking forward to seeing Pierce getting a mass load of Techs, biggest complainer in the league!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just so I understand this correctly the concern at a ref convention is whether or not the players are going to be allowed to react when there is a bad call? Yet another year with no mention of how flopping will be handled, how Stern Almighty is going to clean up the game by ridding it of acting, no we are going to focus on whether or not the refs look bad.

If I could have a sit down with Stern one of the first things I would want to stress to him is I DON'T PAY TO SEE HIS REFS RUN UP AND DOWN THE FLOOR. I couldn't care less if their feelings get hurt out there, players can pull down the refs pants and spank them like sissy girls for all I care. They are there to make sure the game of basketball is played according to the rules of the game and they don't even do that well.

If Stern is so worried about creating prima donna's out there how about instructing the refs to stop giving out reputation calls to guys just because they are in the top 10 in jersey sales. The perimeter guys feel that they are entitled to a foul call every time they go in the paint and Stern is completely at fault for that.

• Upvote 1

all-star break? pffft. Dwight will be suspended by November. I wonder if these rules will hold true to Lebron's *****ing ways? Man, we are sooooo f**ked. At least, Sheed got out at the right time, lol.

You can forget a flopping call actually being implemented, it will never happen, no matter ho much they talk about it. Regarding the newer, more stringent rules here in relation to arguing calls, this just gives the NBA officiating, which is already laughable, a black eye IMO. It just makes calls seem that much more suspicious to me and eventually, the players will not be allowed to do any kind of arguing. The refs need their power, this is how they get it. The NBA where totalitarianism happens.

Reactions to plays and questionable calls are natural. There should be an addendum that somehow gives leeway to these rules. You can't give a tech to a player who hits a clutch shot and pumps his fist in the air...or to a player who throws his arms up because he is upset with HIMSELF about a bad play. Ridiculous.

When I coached in our county league I told my guys if somebody flops... step on them on your way to the hoop. We never got called for it and the flopping against us was greatly reduced. There's something about a 250 pounder landing on you with both feet that makes you want to stay off the floor

• Upvote 2

When I coached in our county league I told my guys if somebody flops... step on them on your way to the hoop. We never got called for it and the flopping against us was greatly reduced. There's something about a 250 pounder landing on you with both feet that makes you want to stay off the floor

you sound like an awesome coach. As a coach myself, I'd never teach that particular philosophy, bravo.

I think they'll just preemptively suspend Dwight, regardless.

Meanwhile, D'Wade and LeBron will be allowed to bring a bazooka on the court before a foul will be called.

Awesome - that's why I love this game: nothing more fun than watching officials control a game rather than the players.