Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic to hire Van Gundy? [official thread]

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

Let's give Bily the courtesy flush. That way the turds are gone, and SVG can wipe up the mess.

The coutesy flush of turds is for ALL the Gator bandwagoners!

quote:
Originally posted by fooajk:

As of this hour, how close do you think we are to obtaining the services of SVG? You think talks with Donovan are over and an offer has been extended to SVG?

I'd hoped to hear something new by now. I'm getting a bit nervous. Yes I know Stan would love to coach this team but personally I don't know if it would be worth it to me to be under the kind of microscope he would be under here for the next few years. Nothing but a championship would take him from underneath it and I don't think this team is ready for that in the next year or two (maybe three).

No offense but it looks like you have a bunch of nuts up there in Central Florida that wouldn't even be that impressed by say a Phil jackson being hired as long as its not their beloved "Billy Donovan". Its not the kind of environment I'd like at all if I was Stan. He's got to be thinking of that while this drags and Sacs no comment like answer to whether they had offered him their job doesn't sound good.

I think if there is anybody out there that still wants Billy after this they are not a true fan of the Magic........ I mean is there anybody right now on this board that still wants him?

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

I think if there is anybody out there that still wants Billy after this they are not a true fan of the Magic........ I mean is there anybody right now on this board that still wants him?

I just want a coach who wants to be here, and believes in this young team, and wants to take them to the next level, and right now I believe that man is SVG

THE PREDICTED COMMON SENSE RESOLUTION:

NBA

Stern will want this matter to be resolved so the chances of this happening again are nonexistant. The NBA must approve all contracts including the contract to nullify the present Donovan contract. Donovan will not be able to coach in the NBA for 5 years.

MAGIC

U. of Florida has not done anything wrong so the only action would be against Donovan. The Magic probably have insisted Billy honor the contract or he won't play for anyone else, but they will back down and agree to cancell the contract. (see PREDICTED RESOLUTION BELOW)

SVG

Since SVG is a friend of Donovan he will help in the process of getting Donovan off the hook and meanwhile landing the job as head coach.

PREDICTED RESOLUTION:

1. Donovan agrees that he will not coach in the NBA for 5 years

2. Writes a letter of apology, acceptable to the Magic, that can be read to the press.

3. Donovan agrees to reimburse expenses in the amount of (to be established) that the Magic have incurred as a result of the cancelled contract.

4. SVW ,after getting a release from Miami, signs a cntract with the Magic.

5. Press conference for SVW should be Thursday afternoon before the first NBA FINALS game.

This was just posted in the Sentinel, I would say it's factual except...it was just posted in the Sentinel. As always take this with a grain of salt that writes terribly and smells like Brian Schmitz.

The Orlando Magic were racing against time Tuesday, trying to hire Stan Van Gundy as their coach while fearing they might lose him to the Sacramento Kings as they are entwined in the Billy Donovan legal mess.

According to those with knowledge of the situation, Van Gundy has been offered the job by the Kings, but Orlando is his top choice.

Van Gundy did not return a call from the Sentinel on Tuesday, but before Donovan was hired, he had made it clear he wanted the job and raved about the opportunity.

Van Gundy, however, doesn't want to be left out in the cold while the Magic try to force Donovan to break his contract -- and lose both jobs. He doesn't want the job until the Magic rid themselves of the Donovan contract.

The legal ramifications of the Magic basically working with two contracts --- one with Donovan and the other offered to Van Gundy --- was not known.

The Magic made contact with Van Gundy -- who was was the runner-up candidate to Donovan --- on Monday. Van Gundy has interviewed twice with the Kings.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-bk-magi...orl-sports-headlines

What really stinks is SVG doesn't deserve Donovan money but now will probably want that amount. Boy did Donovan screw us up.

Man, if we miss out on SVG because of Billy, that would really, really suck. It would also be typical Magic all the way.

We need to get this mess cleaned up soon, get SVG under contract then tear up that contract. I don't care about getting even with Donovan, he has to go to sleep at night knowing what a coward he is.

I agree, Marc.

As much as I would like them to make Billie Jo suffer for the sins of her way, as a Magic fan it is more important to me that we make SVG our coach, particularly with the fear that if it's not SVG, it's PJ.

Ugh. Unfortunately its probably true. This is exactly what I thought was happening. Sac's no comment to being asked if they had offered the job to Stan was a dead giveaway this morning. Sorry but Stan can't drag his feet for very long. Petrie isn't an idiot and if he gets the impression that Stan does not want to coach Sacramento he will go after his other choice - Terry Porter - leaving Stan out on a limb without any of the jobs he wants (and yes he wants the Sac job).