Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

A. Kennedy on possible Magic moves(link)

quote:

John in Florida:

Is the only way the Magic win a championship next year if Vince Carter finds the fountain of youth? Dwight and jameer can't do it all.

Alex Kennedy:

I can't see Vince Carter finding the fountain of youth. If the Magic want to a win championship next year, they need to limit Carter's role, hope Rashard Lewis steps up, and cross their fingers that the East's elite teams implode (Atlanta, Cleveland, Boston). This team is talented enough but Carter is a liability on both ends of the court. I don't see that changing. Limiting him and then hoping to deal his expiring contract at the trade deadline seems to be the best option.

quote:

Brandon in Orlando:

Hey are the magic, really going to let this once in a lifetime free agency season pass-by or will they try to become a player?

Alex Kennedy:

I don't think they have much of a choice. I've gotten emails and text messages about the ORL/WAS/MIA "rumors" and the possible pursuit of Dwyane Wade and Amare Stoudemire. Don't get your hopes up. This team doesn't have the pieces to make a sign-and-trade work (other teams can put together much better packages) and no team is going to take on Vince Carter's contract until at least the deadline. Sure, it's expiring either way but nobody wants to sign the checks all season long as he struggles. All of the rumors and potential moves that have been discussed by fans or other websites don't seem to have legs. I'm sure Otis would love to be a player this summer but they aren't in position to do so. They'll look at resigning their guys and maybe going after some role players but don't expect any jaw-dropping moves.

quote:

Rob in Washington DC:

Are teams in the lottery really hot for Marcin Gortat? I've heard from Denton the Magic have received interest from a lottery team. Can you confirm?

Alex Kennedy:

I'm not buying this. Marcin Gortat's stock took a huge hit during the season. Many of the teams that were interested in him last summer either filled their hole at center in another way or were turned off by Marcin's perceived lack of work ethic after getting paid. Everyone knew his contract would be tough to move when he first re-signed with Orlando but now it's looking even worse for the Magic. I don't think any team in the lottery has shown serious interest in Gortat and it would definitely take much more to get a deal done.

quote:

Mr. Magic in Magic City, FL:

Hey Alex, its me again, I see Atlanta is not happy with Josh Smith, anyway we can trade for him? Josh and Dwight reunite.

Alex Kennedy:

I did a piece on Josh's friendship with Dwight earlier this season and he hinted that he could reunite with Howard at some point in his career. But again, you have to look at the pieces it would take to land Smith and put Orlando's potential package next to another team's offer. Would the Magic really have the pieces to get it done?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=983

quote:

John in Florida:

Is the only way the Magic win a championship next year if Vince Carter finds the fountain of youth? Dwight and jameer can't do it all.

Alex Kennedy:

I can't see Vince Carter finding the fountain of youth. If the Magic want to a win championship next year, they need to limit Carter's role, hope Rashard Lewis steps up, and cross their fingers that the East's elite teams implode (Atlanta, Cleveland, Boston). This team is talented enough but Carter is a liability on both ends of the court. I don't see that changing. Limiting him and then hoping to deal his expiring contract at the trade deadline seems to be the best option.

quote:

Brandon in Orlando:

Hey are the magic, really going to let this once in a lifetime free agency season pass-by or will they try to become a player?

Alex Kennedy:

I don't think they have much of a choice. I've gotten emails and text messages about the ORL/WAS/MIA "rumors" and the possible pursuit of Dwyane Wade and Amare Stoudemire. Don't get your hopes up. This team doesn't have the pieces to make a sign-and-trade work (other teams can put together much better packages) and no team is going to take on Vince Carter's contract until at least the deadline. Sure, it's expiring either way but nobody wants to sign the checks all season long as he struggles. All of the rumors and potential moves that have been discussed by fans or other websites don't seem to have legs. I'm sure Otis would love to be a player this summer but they aren't in position to do so. They'll look at resigning their guys and maybe going after some role players but don't expect any jaw-dropping moves.

quote:

Rob in Washington DC:

Are teams in the lottery really hot for Marcin Gortat? I've heard from Denton the Magic have received interest from a lottery team. Can you confirm?

Alex Kennedy:

I'm not buying this. Marcin Gortat's stock took a huge hit during the season. Many of the teams that were interested in him last summer either filled their hole at center in another way or were turned off by Marcin's perceived lack of work ethic after getting paid. Everyone knew his contract would be tough to move when he first re-signed with Orlando but now it's looking even worse for the Magic. I don't think any team in the lottery has shown serious interest in Gortat and it would definitely take much more to get a deal done.

quote:

Hey Alex, its me again, I see Atlanta is not happy with Josh Smith, anyway we can trade for him? Josh and Dwight reunite.

Alex Kennedy:

I did a piece on Josh's friendship with Dwight earlier this season and he hinted that he could reunite with Howard at some point in his career. But again, you have to look at the pieces it would take to land Smith and put Orlando's potential package next to another team's offer. Would the Magic really have the pieces to get it done?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

John in Florida:

Alex Kennedy:

quote:

Brandon in Orlando:

Alex Kennedy:

quote:

Rob in Washington DC:

Alex Kennedy:

quote:

Alex Kennedy:

I dont agree that the magic dont have pieces. We have close, if not the best, talent in the league. We are deep with gortat, bass, jj, mp and anderson, plus the te... We can also through in some picks; though they are late this is a deep draft.

I have never heard of gortat having a work effort problem; ever... His only problem is he plays behind D12. Gortat can start for a team at center. 7ft players that are mobile, can rebound, and defend are a rarity. You can not have to may of them. Look at the two teams left, they both have a number of bigs that can step on the floor and produce...

If gortat was a draft pick this year, he would be in the top 10...

what is this guy talking about?

Carter a liability at both ends? Wow, that just sounds absurd. Guy is still better than half the starting SG's you'll see next year.

quote:
Alex Kennedy:

If the Magic want to a win championship next year, they need to limit Carter's role, hope Rashard Lewis steps up, and cross their fingers that the East's elite teams implode (Atlanta, Cleveland, Boston).

Seriously? I stopped reading. What an idiot. We lost to Boston in the ECF's, but now Atlanta, the same team that we swept in the second round, is an elite team in the East, and we have to hope they implode if we want our chance at winning it all? ****. Junkie, you should be embarrassed for your source.

Unfortunately Alex has gotten a bit of an ego since writing for Hoopsworld. The kid used to be just some poster at RealGM. Now since he broke the J-Will signing 5 minutes before anyone else did, he is the go-to insider. He literally trys to talk to every possible player in the NBA (prospect or not) on Twitter. That is his line of communication.

Good for him, and I applaud him for trying. But Alex, just because you say it's so, doesn't mean it is so. Keep your opinion out of your rumors.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Unfortunately Alex has gotten a bit of an ego since writing for Hoopsworld. The kid used to be just some poster at RealGM. Now since he broke the J-Will signing 5 minutes before anyone else did, he is the go-to insider. He literally trys to talk to every possible player in the NBA (prospect or not) on Twitter. That is his line of communication.

Good for him, and I applaud him for trying. But Alex, just because you say it's so, doesn't mean it is so. Keep your opinion out of your rumors.

Agreed. Thank you. I called BS on that kid last year during the infamous PEC worship of him. It was obvious he thought he was important back then, and now he is really eating his own stew..so to speak.

Glad to see everyone has stopped being polite and simply now calls it what it is.