Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic W-L record suggests Jameer's absence doesn't make difference(Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

That Drunk On Mystery guy who posted in the comments took the words right out of my mouth.

quote:
"Correct me if I'm wrong"

Ok, sure. I'm assuming your numbers were pulled from last season and so far this season.

First of all, Jameer Nelson has played in 53 regular season games and 5 playoff games in the last 2 seasons, making 45-19 record you came up with a statistical impossibility, since that would require 64 games. His actual record in that time frame was 41-17, if you include that playoff series.

And you shouldn't. At best, that series only proves that Nelson and Alston couldn't play together, which was obvious. Counting it as an example of Nelson playing INSTEAD of Alston, when Alston also played, makes you sound like a moron.

So stick with 40-13. So that's a win percentage of .755 when Jameer has played.

Without Jameer, the team's record is 31-14 in the regular season, and 43-21 if you include the playoffs(except the Finals where Jameer played). So that's a regular season win percentage of .689 and a total win percentage of .672 if you include the playoffs.

So the team is 7% more likely to win when Jameer plays in the regular season? Sounds about right.

And yes, Matt Humphrey: You were wrong on pretty much every level, from the stats you started with to the conclusion you came to.

Too bad you don't earn money for obliterating half-assed articles, because this post was worth at least 25 doll hairs.

last year it took two trades to get cover for him first lue then rafer and if we did not get rafer we we would of fallen to either 8th or out of it

now we have got a reliable backup of course it wont make too much of a dffrence.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

By the same statistical insight, we are aso a much better playoff team without Howard (1-0) than with him (13 - 11) over the same period.

Humphrey, tell your statistics to shut up.

That wouldn't be fair since 1 game is too small of a sample.

quote:
Originally posted by Freex:

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

By the same statistical insight, we are aso a much better playoff team without Howard (1-0) than with him (13 - 11) over the same period.

Humphrey, tell your statistics to shut up.

That wouldn't be fair since 1 game is too small of a sample.

I sense sarcasm in the original post.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Orlando Magic's record with and without starting point guard Jameer Nelson this season and last.

Contrary to what you might think, the numbers suggest that Jameer Nelson's absence doesn't make a huge difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Jameer Nelson, including last year's run in the NBA playoffs, the Orlando Magic are 45-19.

Without Jameer Nelson?

Click the link for the rest...it's very short...interesting comments by fans underneath the article too.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.c...huge-difference.html

Oh, and before you start posting Junkie is bashing Jameer again this was written and posted by Matt Humphrey of the Sentinel...not me.

I hate to say it, but I am not happy with Jameer's play at all this year and I'm very disappointed in him. Deferring to Carter, if that is what he is doing - is way old - he has been in the league too long. Jameer is playing to slow - walking the ball up the court and he is not be aggressive on offense at all - he is mostly a non-factor and he is playing poor defense.

This is big for me to be criticizing Jameer's play, but he is the biggest disappointment this year for me so far. Dwight is finally starting to wake up. Now, with all that said about Jameer, I still think he has tremendous talent. We finally saw it coming around last year and now he is disappearing again. Enough already. He has some rehab to do so it may take him awhile to come around and get into playing form.

I am still glad we did not take Arroyo back - JWill is much better and AJ is as well. Jameer needs to get his act together.

On the record thing - it is more than just wins and losses - some of it has to do with how much we win by, etc. When Jameer is playing this team is good, but right now this team looks better without Jameer and the defense looks better without Jameer. Now, in being fair to Jameer - Lewis was out while he was playing.

It sounded like Jameer's knee problem happened in the game and wasn't a lingering thing - he was just off so I was thinking it may have been a problem for a while. We may not see Jameer into full stride until after game 50. He will likely need time to get strong and in playing form.

My major disappointment in him is that he has so much talent and right now he has been a major disappointment. I have not lost faith in him, but he really needs to get his act together big time and show up.

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

I think we look better with J Will at the helm. Our offense looks fluid! Jameer would make a great spark off the bench, as both a scorer and facilitator.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Why is it you only come around to make stupid comments in which you'll totally contradict when Jameer comes back and drops 50 in his first game?

easy answer

meer has no defense. . . his offense is slightly better than jwill, but j plays better d and moves the ball very efficiently. also jwill is leading the league in assist to turn over ratio!

I dont think it has to do with nelson being out at all. we got lewis and anderson back the same time he went down, we can now stretch the floor again, and thats why the magic are playing better. If nelson goes down and we still dont have lewis or anderson this team is in trouble. And as soon as nelson comes back the magic will be that much better.

GO MAGIC!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

I think we look better with J Will at the helm. Our offense looks fluid! Jameer would make a great spark off the bench, as both a scorer and facilitator.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Why is it you only come around to make stupid comments in which you'll totally contradict when Jameer comes back and drops

50 in his first game?

Honestly the team seems to be moving more fluidly with a pg who looks to pass first, Meer could be the spark plug the second unit needs to get rolling.

We dont need 5 scorers out there at one time.

I was thinking the same thing as this article. When Jameer comes back we might be better served for him to come off the bench until he gets his stroke back. With our big 3 of Lewis, Carter and Howard getting the major touches, JWill seems to be able to distribute without looking for his shot all the time like Jameer.