Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Stephen A. Smith on ESPN Radio talking about Brian Hill

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

quote:
This is my first and only Brian Hill thread until the season is over. At that time I'll make a complete judgment.

good post Junkie...

I agree with this statement...

In the summertime after the play-offs ...Which we are going to make.

yeah well, when we get nowhere you're the only one who's going to keep asking people Do you believe do you believe.. You're gonna be asking that to yourself in the mirror.

If people don't want to get the weeds out by the roots and just cut the top off it then go ahead, don't do nothing and "believe" the future will magically bet better.

Make the playoffs for 3 straight seasons and get nowhere again? Before you know it, Dwight is gonna get tired of "believing" other players are gonna get old and somme are gonna break down like it happened to Penny.

I'm sure we'd be at the top of the E. conference right now with another coach, easily.

By the way.. pretty sad to hear fallow NBA, Magic fans settling for mediocrity to the point of "refusing" to sign a petition.. because they truly believe AGAIN! Hill is actually an ok coach. Yeah well our owner has given us what we deserve: a dumb coach for dumb fans! < dodging the tomatoes >

I have no ill will towards B.Hill (even when his personality is nowhere near likable). After all he's not a thief or a murderer or a child rapist!

Now, I'd rather see the millions he's been paid go to someone with better common sense who's going to lead us to a championship. Maybe you guys were too young, but I'm tired of seeing the Magic get destroyed in the playoffs.

Best of luck to him wherever he goes, maybe he can find another ocaching job or recognize when things start to go downHill, it's time to hang it up. I don't want him finding that out with the Magic.

My 2 cents.

Don't some of you think that you have lost sight of something? BASKETBALL. Sure, we have struggled. Our core consists of 4 guys who are 24 and younger. Man, I wish I could go to the Arena every game and cheer them on. Don't you think some of yall are taking that for granted? I mean instead of cheering I'm hearing stories of guys doing nothing but rant about firing Brian Hill.

MAGIC. Right now we make the playoffs. Whens the last time we did that? Isn't in crucial for Dwight, Darko and the rest of our young core to taste that even if its for a brief stint? Shouldn't we be cheering the boys on and let the whole FireBrianHill brigade go? Don't you think the players voice is louder then yours about the coach?

ARENA? I can't believe that people are so extreme on firing Brian Hill and they have NOTHING on getting an new arena. Why isn't that energy going to getting an new arena and keeping the team in Orlando? Great, we fire Brian Hill during a crucial time where we need positive feeback from fans and we lose the Magic?

I think some of you have lost touch of things. Brian Hill isn't Rudy T, Phil, or even Riley but so far, no one on this team has said anything negative about BHill. Its all from fans who don't like losing very well.

Sure, JJ should play more but maybe, JUST MAYBE, BHill is making him a more credible defender by telling him "You need to hustle a little more in practice kid". Maybe, JUST MAYBE, BHill is trying to turn Dwight into a superstar. BTW, Dwight has been proving that in that last few weeks averaging 20+ and 10+ and really progressing (positive there). Don't you think BHill is trying to get us into the playoffs while at the same time, getting this young core more developed? Does that happen overnight? Heck, does that even happen over a year?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Smack, crticizing and critiquing is fine. It in fact creates good conversation when discussing the team. I don't doubt for a second where your loyalties lie. And I certainly don't think of you or anybody else that crticizes Brian Hill as less of a fan. As I said in my initial post, I agree with most of the criticisms.

My objection is when posters insult the man's intelligence by name calling or cursing him out. Do I agree with everything he does? Certainly not. Do I like the position our team is in when I expected better results? Certainly not.

Does that mean I'm gonna rant and rave and call Coach Hill every name in the book? Certainly not.

I don't look at others as better than me. And I don't think I'm better than anybody else. I try to respect what others do even when I don't agree with it.

Cursing someone out or insulting their intelligence when you don't agree with them is a form of disrespect.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

I hear ya Junkie. Obviously I respect your opinion on all subjects pertaining to the Magic. I just feel so strongly about B Hill being the wrong coach for this team that I can't fathom him receiving my support regardless.

The way I see it...

A winning team creates fans. Fans don't create a winning team.

Some of us have been so jaded by the Magic for the last decade yet we are still willing to give them our undivided support. I'm fine with that. I still pay for my season tickets. I still watch every game at home when I can't get to Orlando. I read the sentinel every morning, etc, etc, etc. However, I just can't bring myself to admit that Brian Hill will ever lead this team to any measurable success, and I certainly don't think that he will stop making these repeated mistakes if we just forget about our vendetta and show him some love. In fact, I think that would create an even larger problem. If he receives unfetterd fan support, in my opinion, that would substantiate his coaching philosophies.

The only thing worse than a tyrant is a tyrant without opposition.

Since this relates very close to this debate, here is today's column from Bianchi about fan loyalty

quote:
Two Bits is the gold standard for fan loyalty

Published March 7, 2007

This is the story of two fans and two philosophies.

One is 84; the other is 24.

One is the ultimate old-school fan; the other is the ultimate new-age fan.

One goes to every game and encourages; the other rarely goes to a game and condemns.

One is named George Edmondson, but everybody knows him as Mr. Two Bits. The other is named Weston Winsor, but everybody knows him as Mr. FireBrianHill.org.

Edmondson first sat in the stands at Florida Field in 1949 and watched a losing University of Florida football team being jeered by some of its own fans.

He was so appalled when those UF fans started booing the Gators, he stood and began cheering so loudly that everybody looked at him like he was a nut case.

"Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar!

All for the Gators, stand up and holler!"

"At first, they thought I was crazy," says Edmondson. "But after a while they stopped booing and started cheering along with me, and the good feeling spread throughout the stadium.

"I've always thought teams face enough negativism from the opposing fans. They don't need it from their own fans, too. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I believe you support your team, your players, your coach no matter what."

Meanwhile, Winsor sits at his home in Hollywood, Calif., and watches the Magic on DirectTV, and he doesn't like that they are hovering around .500 halfway through Coach Brian Hill's second season. So 10 days ago, he plopped down $58 for a domain name and launched FireBrianHill.org.

"I love my team," Winsor says. "I just don't want us to have a horrible coach."

Do you sense a slight generation gap here, a troubling sign of the times? Even though Edmondson and Winsor both are from Tampa, one is the traditional fan who has missed three home games in the last half-century and supports his team through good and bad. The other is the Internet fan who watches on satellite TV and starts a fire-the-coach Web site from 3,000 miles away.

"There's nothing like being in the stadium with 90,000 people all cheering for their team," Edmondson says.

"I'm working with people across several message boards [to get Hill fired]," Winsor says.

This is the wireless, high-speed world we live in; where every fan with a laptop can influence public opinion. And don't think these Internet insurgents don't have an effect.

"From the day I was hired at Florida, that Web site -- FireRonZook.com -- set the tone for all the negativity," former UF coach Ron Zook told me once.

At the time, the Zook site was novel; the first of its kind. Now these sites appear with the regularity of an ad for erectile dysfunction. I used to think these fire-the-coach sites were amusing; now I just find them annoying.

Then again maybe I'm just jealous my influence has been eroded. Remember when sports columnists used to have the market cornered on calling for a coach's head? These days columnists are four months, five Web sites and six bloggers too late by the time they deem it necessary to fire the coach.

Like Mr. Two Bits, maybe I'm hopelessly out of step, too. It just seems wrong that Weston Winsor, a 24-year-old kid trying to make it in the movie business, sits at a computer screen in California and tries to double-click a coach in Orlando out of a job.

Two clicks, four clicks, six clicks, a gigabyte!

All for firing Coach Hill, sit down and log on to my Web site!

I understand both sides of the Brian Hill debate and don't see him as the guy who can take us whole way. But I am not about to root for the team to miss the playoffs, which is the only thing (other than another player revolt) that will get him fired.

I will continue to be critical of his boneheaded moves, but I agree with Junkie that this team (and fans to a degree) needs to focus on the stretch run to make the playoffs and not the guy splintering clipboards on the sideline.

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

quote:

quote:
This is my first and only Brian Hill thread until the season is over. At that time I'll make a complete judgment.

good post Junkie...

I agree with this statement...

In the summertime after the play-offs ...Which we are going to make.

yeah well, when we get nowhere you're the only one who's going to keep asking people Do you believe do you believe.. You're gonna be asking that to yourself in the mirror.

If people don't want to get the weeds out by the roots and just cut the top off it then go ahead, don't do nothing and "believe" the future will magically bet better.

Make the playoffs for 3 straight seasons and get nowhere again? Before you know it, Dwight is gonna get tired of "believing" other players are gonna get old and somme are gonna break down like it happened to Penny.

I'm sure we'd be at the top of the E. conference right now with another coach, easily.

I've told you once before ...

My choice will be made during the summer ...When something if it happens will be made.

They are not going to get rid of Hill now ...so I don't worry about it...

I'm more worried about supporting our guys now...During their run for the play-offs.

B. Hill will be dealt with later.

BhNole,

Thank you for that assassination piece. It illustrates exactly what I am talking about - an attempt to beat down people with the politically correct way to be a fan.

So lets clear all the platitudes out of the way.

I am an Orlando Magic Fan. SO is Otis

I don't see anyone questioning his approach to being a fan when he traded Francis.

Egads! How could he even consider getting rid of a Magic Player? What kind of a fan wouldn't support all our players? Furthermore how could he go to the extent of actuallyy shopping a magic player around? Didn't he believe? Why didn't he show the class that our 84 year old fan shows in the assasination piece posted?

Simple. He's a magic fan. Not a Francis only fan. He saw where Steve didn't fit in an he moved him.

Lost sight of basketball? You got to be kidding. Basketball is about the X and the Os , players being allowed to play, substitution patterns, plays being called. Those who want BHill gone are ALL about basketball.

In the end I think we believe in the Magic more than you do. After all we believe the magic would be in the top four slots with a decent coach. You are just happy they are in 9th with the NY knicks - Did I say the NY knicks? - clipping at their heeels.

Believe? You guys need more belief - in your players.

quote:

I'm more worried about supporting our guys now...During their run for the play-offs.

They are not going to get rid of Hill now ...so I don't worry about it...

B. Hill will be dealt with later.

I love how at the begining of the season you and most everyone else (including me!) were talking about our run deep in the playoffs...

now you post during our run FOR the playoffs...i never thought it would be this bad...

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

Lost sight of basketball? You got to be kidding. Basketball is about the X and the Os , players being allowed to play, substitution patterns, plays being called. Those who want BHill gone are ALL about basketball.

In the end I think we believe in the Magic more than you do. After all we believe the magic would be in the top four slots with a decent coach. You are just happy they are in 9th with the NY knicks - Did I say the NY knicks? - clipping at their heeels.

Believe? You guys need more belief - in your players.

I said SOME lost sight and I agree SOME who want BHill are all about basketball.

What I'm saying is maybe you haven't come to reality that this team isn't good enough to be a Top 4 team. I mean you think they should be up there with Detroit? Dwight is 22. Ariza is 21. Jameer is 24. Darko is 21. Outside of Dwight, whos on the verge of superstar, we have no one even close to that or anyone who has experience. Why do you think we play so inconsistent?

By the way, right now we are in the 8th seed.

Believe more then me? You know that isn't the right thing to say.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

Bj,are you a realigous man?

Yes. I'm a christian just like Dwight Howard.

Isn't it kind of nice when your star player stands for integrity? I wish I would have had half the maturity Dwight has when I was 21 years old.

In today's society, and I work with the public, it's almost un-believable that our star player would participate in a dunk contest, seen by millions of people and do a dunk with a sticker quoting a bible verse on it for the whole world to see.

Kind of makes you want to pull for a team that has a star player with that kind of values.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. I'll stop preaching now.(lol)