Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Stephen A. Smith on ESPN Radio talking about Brian Hill

This is my first and only Brian Hill thread until the season is over. At that time I'll make a complete judgment.

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in Mr. Smith's comments. I found this in the Florida Today in an article written by John Denton:

quote:
Support for coach. Magic president Bob Vander Weide laughed off a report by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith Monday on ESPN 1060-AM that Orlando head coach Brian Hill will be fired if the team misses the playoffs.

Vander Weide said there was no truth to the report. He said that while he's frustrated with the Magic's swoon during the past three months he has faith in Hill as the Magic's head coach.

Orlando started the season 13-4, but entered Monday's game just 15-29 during the past three months. He said he refused to believe that Hill's intensity and attention to detail were negatives, as Smith pointed out on the radio.

"After starting the season 13-4, I know Brian is feeling the pressure of turning the team around. But we think he's doing a fine job."

I don't want this to be a bash Brian Hill thread but at the same time I realize he is not perfect. Trust me, if we don't make the playoffs I am going to be one "disappointed" young man on top of going into a severe depression.(lol)

I haven't taken part in most of the Coach bashing even though I definitely agree with a lot of the stuff that is posted on this board about Hill's shortcomings, strategy, substitutions (etc).

I don't think it's ever right to insult a man's intelligence. Even if he doesn't know about it.

Now I understand everybody has a right to express their opinion. True that. Which is why I want to express mine.

I think we should give the Magic team and Coaches our full support for these last 20 games or so. I think it is "extremely" important for us to make the playoffs. There's a lot at stake.

1.) We need a new arena.

2.) Our young guys need playoff experience.

3.) How are we gonna atrract "bigtime" free agents when we're a lottery team?

4.) Management stated before the season if we did not make the post-season it would be considered a "failure".

To finish, I'm asking to do your best in supporting the team and coaches on this board or wherever possible. If we don't make the playoffs I'll be the first person to sign a petition or wear Knappy's "Fire Brian Hill" t-shirt or lead a protest march through the RDV sportsplex or to the Amway Arena.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03060340/1002/SPORTS

This is my first and only Brian Hill thread until the season is over. At that time I'll make a complete judgment.

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in Mr. Smith's comments. I found this in the Florida Today in an article written by John Denton:

quote:
Support for coach. Magic president Bob Vander Weide laughed off a report by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith Monday on ESPN 1060-AM that Orlando head coach Brian Hill will be fired if the team misses the playoffs.

Vander Weide said there was no truth to the report. He said that while he's frustrated with the Magic's swoon during the past three months he has faith in Hill as the Magic's head coach.

Orlando started the season 13-4, but entered Monday's game just 15-29 during the past three months. He said he refused to believe that Hill's intensity and attention to detail were negatives, as Smith pointed out on the radio.

"After starting the season 13-4, I know Brian is feeling the pressure of turning the team around. But we think he's doing a fine job."

I don't want this to be a bash Brian Hill thread but at the same time I realize he is not perfect. Trust me, if we don't make the playoffs I am going to be one "disappointed" young man on top of going into a severe depression.(lol)

I haven't taken part in most of the Coach bashing even though I definitely agree with a lot of the stuff that is posted on this board about Hill's shortcomings, strategy, substitutions (etc).

I don't think it's ever right to insult a man's intelligence. Even if he doesn't know about it.

Now I understand everybody has a right to express their opinion. True that. Which is why I want to express mine.

I think we should give the Magic team and Coaches our full support for these last 20 games or so. I think it is "extremely" important for us to make the playoffs. There's a lot at stake.

1.) We need a new arena.

2.) Our young guys need playoff experience.

3.) How are we gonna atrract "bigtime" free agents when we're a lottery team?

4.) Management stated before the season if we did not make the post-season it would be considered a "failure".

To finish, I'm asking to do your best in supporting the team and coaches on this board or wherever possible. If we don't make the playoffs I'll be the first person to sign a petition or wear Knappy's "Fire Brian Hill" t-shirt or lead a protest march through the RDV sportsplex or to the Amway Arena.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03060340/1002/SPORTS

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Ball Junkie, that's a more than fair statement. I believe the majority of people that have not signed the petition are echoing your sentiments.

Am I ever concerned that going to the playoffs might mean that we have Brian Hill for a longer time? Yes. Do I want us to win? Yes.

While I am as frustrated with Brian Hill as the next guy. Making the playoffs should be the sole focus of this club.

Actually, getting better than the 8th seed should be the focus. Drawing Detroit in the first round should be avoided at all costs. We can give anyone else a battle in the East.

Good Thread Junkie. We need some positive mojo in this town to put some pressure on the politicians, to get off the butts and guarantee we keep our NBA team.

Sad to hear Bob Vander Weide is either totally clueless about basketball or doesn't care at all about his team being a winner.

I might not make any friends here but I totally disagree with all the above comments.

Don't be so naive. If you wait until after the season to do anything about it, that means we're stuck with BHill for the whole season next year, including the playoffs, if the team gets there.

If the fans show their displeasure with the man now, there's a better chance a change is made sometime during the season next year. With Brian Hill as coach the chances are close to zero we're going anywhere. Mark my words.

I'm back on board too. I will not bash any longer. I REALLY want these guys to make the playoffs even though i am very frustrated by what's been going on. Let's Go MAGIC. Can't wait for the Bulls to get here so we can spank them again.

quote:

good post Junkie...

I agree with this statement...

In the summertime after the play-offs ...Which we are going to make.

I agree with each sentiment. It's for that reason I haven't signed the petition.

And while I don't think Bhill is the coach who'll lead us to a title, I'm not ready to fire him yet. After the season, we'll see, but certainly not yet.

I agree Balljunkie, we are in the middle of a push to the playoffs how are you going to fire your coach whom holdas your future in his hands, if we dont make the playoffs I will be one of the many calling for his head........

quote:
If we don't make the playoffs

so he should be fired long time ago, because last season everybody of us expected playoffs, but season ended as a complete disaster and Brian Hill is first person responsible for that,

so why we should wait for another proof when his inability to coach this team is already proven ?

Actually I didnt expect playoffs last season, in my heart I knew we werent going to after we started 0-3 and our first win came against an injured rocket team that we barely beat.......