Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

7 Games in, who's your 5th starter now?

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

Honestly, I'd be comfortable with either Barnes or Pietrus starting. Pietrus was effective as a starter at the beginning of last year, until the injuries piled up and the need for a more consistent lineup arose.

Barnes gets a little bit of a pass on his turnovers because he is new and I can remember atleast 4 where our guys simply weren't ready for the pass. Given some time, those turnovers will turn into assists. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the 24% number goes up as well, not only because he's due, but when Lewis and Vince come back they will demand attention and fewer of his jumpers will be contested.

As far as Pietrus, I think everyone agrees that he's a bit of a chucker, and chuckers generally don't turn the ball over. I think his rebounds and turnovers are also lower than Barnes' because Pietrus has missed a couple games.

My preference is Barnes, because I like Pietrus backing up both the 2 and 3, and the energy he brings.

I'm also a huge fan of the idea of playing Shard at 3 with the 2nd unit, and running the offense through him in the post. You could take him out a little early sorta like we did with Turk last year, bring in Anderson and there won't be much of a drop off. Then you can bring in Pietrus, JWill, Gortat, and even JJ, and if they double Lewis in the Post, he has the vision to find the open man or let Gortat clean up the mess.

Why give Barnes a pass on turnovers when no one else gets a pass.

As for the chucking label on Pietrus you can say the same thing for Barnes. His overall stats are not much better then Pietrus while Pietrus is a lot better then Barnes when it comes to 3 point shooting.

I think Pietrus is the better player, make no mistake. I can see this playing out a bit like the Donald Royal/Dennis Scott days in the mid 90s.

Royal was a bit of a glue guy, lightning quick but not much of a 3 point threat. He would defend the toughest wing guard, provide some energy and toughness to the starting 5, while 3D would come off the bench, provide a spark, and end up playing the most minutes.

Again, a good chunk of Barnes' turnovers are due to unfamiliarity. I'd imagine that his turnovers will go down, assists will go up just because guys are more ready for his passing. And Barnes is not going to shoot 24% for the season.

With Pietrus, it's a surprise when he passes. That keeps his turnover rate low. That's not a knock, I love him and hope he gets the most minutes.

i was torn but went with jj in the end he has stepped up so well numbers have been good ( except against the thunder) and im all for rewarding players for effort.

ryan was my other choice but i think he will add more versitility from the bench.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I'd be comfortable with either Barnes or Pietrus starting. Pietrus was effective as a starter at the beginning of last year, until the injuries piled up and the need for a more consistent lineup arose.

Barnes gets a little bit of a pass on his turnovers because he is new and I can remember atleast 4 where our guys simply weren't ready for the pass. Given some time, those turnovers will turn into assists. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the 24% number goes up as well, not only because he's due, but when Lewis and Vince come back they will demand attention and fewer of his jumpers will be contested.

As far as Pietrus, I think everyone agrees that he's a bit of a chucker, and chuckers generally don't turn the ball over. I think his rebounds and turnovers are also lower than Barnes' because Pietrus has missed a couple games.

My preference is Barnes, because I like Pietrus backing up both the 2 and 3, and the energy he brings.

I'm also a huge fan of the idea of playing Shard at 3 with the 2nd unit, and running the offense through him in the post. You could take him out a little early sorta like we did with Turk last year, bring in Anderson and there won't be much of a drop off. Then you can bring in Pietrus, JWill, Gortat, and even JJ, and if they double Lewis in the Post, he has the vision to find the open man or let Gortat clean up the mess.

As for the chucking label on Pietrus you can say the same thing for Barnes. His overall stats are not much better then Pietrus while Pietrus is a lot better then Barnes when it comes to 3 point shooting.

I think Pietrus is the better player, make no mistake. I can see this playing out a bit like the Donald Royal/Dennis Scott days in the mid 90s.

Royal was a bit of a glue guy, lightning quick but not much of a 3 point threat. He would defend the toughest wing guard, provide some energy and toughness to the starting 5, while 3D would come off the bench, provide a spark, and end up playing the most minutes.

Again, a good chunk of Barnes' turnovers are due to unfamiliarity. I'd imagine that his turnovers will go down, assists will go up just because guys are more ready for his passing. And Barnes is not going to shoot 24% for the season.

With Pietrus, it's a surprise when he passes. That keeps his turnover rate low. That's not a knock, I love him and hope he gets the most minutes.

The problem with Barnes is that he is not a glue guy he has had a problem sticking with the players who he is guarding out on the wing.

Most of his turnovers btw happen when he is dribbling or passing to his teammates. And he should have these skills already not have to learn them all over again for every team he plays on that doesn't make sense.

quote:

The problem with Barnes is that he is not a glue guy he has had a problem sticking with the players who he is guarding out on the wing.

Most of his turnovers btw happen when he is dribbling or passing to his teammates. And he should have these skills already not have to learn them all over again for every team he plays on that doesn't make sense.

Barnes is easily the 2nd leading rebounder on the team through 7 (comfortably ahead of both celebrated PF acquisitions) & near or at the top of the team in every other non scoring statistical category.

Granted, his 1:1 turnover/assist ratio needs improvement, but give the guy credit for being a solid all around player who contributes positively in every single facet of the game.

Matt Barnes at SF.

We need his defensive intensity in the starting lineup. The Magic defense will pick up, as it will become coach's focus. We should not have lost those 2 games ...

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Barnes is still learning the players that he is playing with. His does need to cut down on the turnovers but he needs time to learn the system and his teammates. Barnes has been very good on defense and rebounding-- two areas that have been a weakness. He had like 6stl one game-- not to long ago...

I honestly think i will be cool with whatever starting lineup as long as peaches isnt in it. I love him as a player but his unwillingness to pass simply drives me crazy. He's so much better as an off the bench hustle player. The only time I want him starting is when I play online on 2K10

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

^ that's probably the only reason that makes me not want Barnes to start. I do NOT want another Rafer Alston.

Plus Barnes has a total of 19 turnovers so far while Pietrus has 3. I thought it was going to be close, but it wasn't.

That's because Barnes is very unselfish while Pietrus is a black hole, at least in contrast to one another. I can assure you that most of Barnes' TO's are the result of an extra pass.

Nelson - VC - Barnes - Lewis - Howard

Thats the lineup we will start with...

JW - MP - RA - Bass - Gortat

Will be the bench rotation. Unless matchups dictate other wise.

That gives us SVG experience on both squads with a little bit of "new guys" sprinkled in.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Barnes is easily the 2nd leading rebounder on the team through 7 (comfortably ahead of both celebrated PF acquisitions) & near or at the top of the team in every other non scoring statistical category.

Granted, his 1:1 turnover/assist ratio needs improvement, but give the guy credit for being a solid all around player who contributes positively in every single facet of the game.

No he is not a solid all around player if he can't stay with the player he is guarding.

And he should stop trying to shoot 3's since his % is .241.

Give me Bass or Pietrus instead.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

quote:

^ that's probably the only reason that makes me not want Barnes to start. I do NOT want another Rafer Alston.

Plus Barnes has a total of 19 turnovers so far while Pietrus has 3. I thought it was going to be close, but it wasn't.

That's because Barnes is very unselfish while Pietrus is a black hole, at least in contrast to one another. I can assure you that most of Barnes' TO's are the result of an extra pass.

No most of Barnes turnovers are when he is dribbling. Not an extra pass. I guess you must have missed that.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

quote:

No most of Barnes turnovers are when he is dribbling. Not an extra pass. I guess you must have missed that.

YEAH TITY, you sooooooooooooo missed that.