Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

It begs the question, who's gonna be the odd man out?

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but it's not going to be JJ. I think SVG may use the entire rotation and he's going to coach situational like he did in the playoffs. He was successful with that approach and by now in case you haven't noticed they didn't even complete the first week and Vince was out with an injury. JJ is Vince's back-up and that's all there is to it.

SVG has a log jam at the forward position. If anyone has to sit it will be one of them.

It's a contract year for JJ some where if not with the Magic. He's not going to sit this year.

I think barnes will be the odd man out-- on most nights... Early, he has made a lot of bad passes in games and has not yet seemed comfortable on offense. Thus, jj has out played barnes at the moment and desires the mins... He has been working hard on his game, since his rook year and has done everything svg has asked.

JJ has paid his does and will get his chance but if he waivers, he will be first one replaced... Lets see what he can do to follow up his big night.

Can someone tell me how do you take the second leading scorer on your team. Or the 44th leading scorer in the NBA at 17.3 points per game, and just bench them and only have them play 15 minutes a game? I just dont get it.

So when Lewis comes back we are just going to shred Anderson and Bass's minutes? This is just crazy. Anderson is to good of a player to just start riding the pine for the next 3 years. One of these 3 players Lewis, Anderson, or Bass is going to have to start logging some minutes in at SF. I know this is a good situation for the Magic, to have 3 great PF's. But these players are so good, you have to find time for them. So the only solution is that one of these players will have to play some SF. I think Anderson's D is good enough to start at PF, and move Lewis to SF. Anderson is to good of a shooter to be collecting splinters on the bench. You have to play this guy.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

RA is more trendy than compression sleeves & he's here to stay. Even if he falls down and requires adjustments every trip down the floor...

The player SVG would be wise to make the odd man out is Gortat. Not because he doesn't deserve to be in the rotation based on talent, but because he doesn't receive enough minutes simply backing up D12 to get into a rhythm.

RA on the other hand is most effective in limited spurts. Most teams lack a legitimate back-up C, so RA & Bass would be fine in 4 minute spurts.

When D12 gets in foul trouble and the opportunity is there for an extended run, then employ Gortat.

That won't happen, I'd personally prefer to see Gortat get more minutes, but that would be the most efficient use of talent for SVG assuming every player is healthy imo.

Were not going to DNP a $30 mil center who could start for most teams in the NBA. Though I understand your theory about not having enough game time to get in rhythm. I think Bass could log minutes as a back up center for us. The problem is Gortat ofcourse. One thing that is absoltuly clear, is that Gortat will be traded in the future. I think around NBA draft time his cap hit wont be so much, so we might be able to get some nice picks for him.

What a great season so far! Perfect record, D12 Player of the week, stacked at every position.

And STILL winning without Lewis, VC!

The entire galaxy is the limit this season for us...the 72 wins record is scared!

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

There was no joke, you incompetent llama. Better leave the discussions to non-quadrupeds.

It was a sad attempt to be witty. Almost as sad as your horrible and distasteful insult towards myself. Shame. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wrong again, UGLYstory

ROTFFLMAO

i say move lewis to the 3 spot. start anderson at pf and split time with bass. pietrus backs up lewis, jj backs up vc, and barnes backs up everybody. second unit with jj, bass, pietrus, looks good with howard and nelson.

If JJ shoots and continues to play the way he has it won't be him. Understand that SVG is sold on JJ. He has been playing all preseason and regular season. You don't one day say he is one of your better perimeter DEFENSIVE players (wow)for no reason. JJ has come a long way from being a guy Stan could not find playing time, to being one of the first off the bench. Plus he is getting minutes on a much, much deeper team. With that said I hope SVG just learns to ride the hot hand whomever it may be.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMagicGatorFan:

I kind of get the imfeeling-pression that JWilliams is a "guest player" of sorts who is not considered when making future decisions short term or long term with the roster... I think they are pretending like he isn't even there when considering roster lineups and changes and playing him and letting him make a difference as long as... he's here lol..

Definitley think Gortat will be packaged with someone IMO and it will either be Redick or Barnes.. Here is why, Gortat is an extermely unique circumstance, he is a player who will make an immediate impact on a team as a starter who will probably be one of the top 2 or 3 centers in the league, we have the opportunity potentially to land an extemely nice pick in the draft, or a nice set of back up players for the sake of depth who will not neccesarily require immense numbers of playing time.. I think possibly will be packaged with Redick for a real solid player and a huge draft pick, right now my bet would be Sacramento or definitley a team out west and i don't know why i think that but i can just sense it. I know how much of a difference Barnes makes on the court, in the tmepo, and the sake of D - stuff that doesn't always show up in the box score, it just comes down to Pietrus being a similar player whos playing style demands the same kinds of minutes at the same times and seniority - and committment and happiness he seems to have for Orlando, The teams needs come first, than Pietrus', then Barnes.. That's just how it is, especially when the players are so much alike.

So you trade depth for depth? I think that aside from Gortat, everyone knows that they are important pieces of a team vying for a championship. I see no reason to make any changes, and unless Gortat demands a trade, he will stay put.

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

i say move lewis to the 3 spot. start anderson at pf and split time with bass. pietrus backs up lewis, jj backs up vc, and barnes backs up everybody. second unit with jj, bass, pietrus, looks good with howard and nelson.

That sounds good to me. I've noticed that Redick has been playing good defense lately. He's shooting with confidence and very consistent these past games. I really like him as VC backup. But I doubt that SVG starts Lewis at the 3. He would want a defensive minded player to start at the 3(Pietrus or Barnes) to guard the other team best perimeter scorer. So that would keep Lewis at the 4. I like Lewis at the 4 anyways but putting him at the 3 isn't a bad idea at all. I just hope he can defend other SF's. Another thing Anderson is a good offensive scorer but he lacks defense. So it might not be good for Lewis and Anderson to be in the game at the same time. Offensively yeah it would work but on the defensive end they will give up points easily.

there's got to be a way to utilize these players in a system. everyone has potential starter status as far as i'm concerned. think about it.. jameer, vc, dwight are stars. pietrus, barnes, redick, jwill, bass, and anderson are all adequate starters. aj is a solid emergency backup and oh ya, rashard is pretty good too hehe

Bass and Anderson will alternate their minutes with every game at the 4.

The starting line up and respective backups should and probably will be...

Nelson/Williams/Carter/Johnson

Carter/Barnes/Redick/Pietrus

Pietrus/Lewis/Barnes

Lewis/Bass/Anderson

Dwight/Gortat

And since folks are talking about who should back-up VC, defense is more important in winning games. Barnes is better in that area.

Also, Anderson's playing style is nearly identical to Lewis's, so having Bass play along side Lewis in rotation, with Lewis at the 3 and Bass at the 4, it brings more depth as far as what kind of attributes each individual has on the floor at the time.

Having Anderson and Lewis on the floor at the same time, while a wet dream for making it rain from 3 (ha, pun), sacrifices defense and that simply will not do.

So Bass will likely see most of his minutes when the situation calls for Lewis at the 3, which will be plenty. And Anderson will play when Lewis is out, period. Pietrus and Anderson will be seeing a most of their minutes together. This is not to say that Bass won't play along side Pietrus, but for the sake of rotation/situation, at least that's the way I see it.