Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Is Gortat's post footwork, offense better than Dwight's?(link)

This writer thinks so...from a TruHoop ESPN affiliate covering EuroBasket...

quote:

Maybe Marcin Gortat is more than just a defensive & rebounding presence. Looks like Marcin can show D-Howard a few things about post footwork. Marcin put on a clinic. That's right, Gortat put on an offensive clinic.

Marcin did most of his work on the left block, usually choosing to turn right shoulder. He had two quick baseline spin moves for reverse lay-ins, two turnaround jumpers, and a nice up/under step-thru into a scoop shot. Marcin even hit a 12-foot jumper coming up thru the lane off a baseline screen.

Wait, we're not done yet. Maybe Marcin's most impressive move came when he faced up from just below the right elbow and proceeded to drive into a spin move that he finished off with a lefty hook. Maybe this game was a one-off, but maybe Stan needs to add some Gortat plays to his Magic playbook.

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot...lysis-turkey_10.html

This writer thinks so...from a TruHoop ESPN affiliate covering EuroBasket...

quote:

Maybe Marcin Gortat is more than just a defensive & rebounding presence. Looks like Marcin can show D-Howard a few things about post footwork. Marcin put on a clinic. That's right, Gortat put on an offensive clinic.

Marcin did most of his work on the left block, usually choosing to turn right shoulder. He had two quick baseline spin moves for reverse lay-ins, two turnaround jumpers, and a nice up/under step-thru into a scoop shot. Marcin even hit a 12-foot jumper coming up thru the lane off a baseline screen.

Wait, we're not done yet. Maybe Marcin's most impressive move came when he faced up from just below the right elbow and proceeded to drive into a spin move that he finished off with a lefty hook. Maybe this game was a one-off, but maybe Stan needs to add some Gortat plays to his Magic playbook.

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot...lysis-turkey_10.html

Actually it is true. Gortat is more refined offensively in the post than Dwight. We all know Gortat can fly and is a real powerhouse. He knows it too but we never see him trying to tear the rim down every time like Dwight does. Gortat understands the art of the pump fake and how to keep the ball above his head to avoid those pesky little players below from stealing it. Gortat is also more confident in himself as we saw when the guy willfully took that 3 pointer vs. the Cavs and was draining all of those mid-range shots effortlessly during the season.

I really dont think that we realize the great power of the Gortat

He doesn't say that he thinks Gortat's offense is better than Dwight. He does say that he has a couple moves he chould show Dwight, and that Stan might want to put a play or two into the mix for Gortat, but that's a far cry from declaring his (Gortat's) post footwork, and offense, to be better than Howard's.

Great to see Gortat get some recognition. I honestly believe within 2-3 years he will be a top 5 center in the league. He has all the key elements of a great big and his work ethic is thru the roof.

I would still love to see him develop into a PF to play alongside Dwight but I think its more realistic that he ends up netting us a star thru trade.

"Is Gortat's post footwork, offense better than Dwight's?"

The fact that this question was even asked blows my mind. The answer is to laugh for 10 minutes, and then say: "Of course not. That's a stupid question to ask and you're a stupid person for asking it. Now put this knife in your stomach."

Gortat scored 21(a career high) against the Turkish national team while facing single coverage.

Dwight averages 21 points against NBA teams while facing constant double teams.

How is this even a discussion? Better question: How the hell have we reached a point where Dwight Howard is being drastically underrated?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

How the hell have we reached a point where Dwight Howard is being drastically underrated?

The national media and his fanbase in general realized that he isn't a perimeter player.

Not trying to hate on Gortat, but his offense sucks. In practice, I'd love to see how many times Gortat scores on Howard in the post and vice versa.

Brandon Bass can teach Howard more then Gortat.

quote:

The fact that this question was even asked blows my mind. The answer is to laugh for 10 minutes, and then say: "Of course not. That's a stupid question to ask and you're a stupid person for asking it. Now put this knife in your stomach."

Gortat scored 21(a career high) against the Turkish national team while facing single coverage.

How is this even a discussion? Better question: How the hell have we reached a point where Dwight Howard is being drastically underrated?

Yea I agree. You have to take into account that Gortat was covered by athletically inferior Turkish centers and even Hedo on a couple of occasions. Dwight would have dropped 40 easily under the same circumstances.

But, Gortat has been impressive in this tournament and you can't take anything away from him. He's brought it on the defensive and offensive end so far. This can only further improve his value around the league.

This is a joke, anyone who thinks Gortat is better in any aspect of basketball is kidding themselves. Gortat is becoming the most overhyped player in the league. Next thing is going to be us calling for Gortat to start over Dwight or Shard. When Gortat is on another team later this year I hope we play them and Dwight drops 40 on him so he can put this to rest.

quote:

+1

D12's "footwork" is off the charts. His "shooting touch" & "passing" need refinement.